Author Topic: 6 month puppy... help!  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Alehall

6 month puppy... help!
« on: September 02, 2020, 07:10:42 PM »
So we have a 6 month old cocker puppy and it’s like suddenly he has become this naughty puppy who doesn’t listen to anything we say now, he’s forgotten all his training and the constant pulling when we walk is becoming hard to manage!
Any tips?!

Nothing has changed in how we are with him, but it’s becoming frustrating he doesn’t listen, if we tell him off he just stares at us doesn’t come to us, sometimes even hides under the table or barks back!!

Offline juju

Re: 6 month puppy... help!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
As the owner of a W.C.S.  who arrived eight years ago at the age of eight weeks but was already showing adolescent/ elective deafness / diva qualities you have my sympathy! As she is now eight I feel I can say she has settled down a bit. Seriously, I found that I had to be very consistent in my approach to training. It might be worth putting a short line on your pup in the house as it may be thinking hiding is a bit of a game. I found I had to be very clear in any interaction with Izzy to avoid confusion. I also used things like “watch me” to get her attention. Hand feeding can be useful. One of the most useful things I bought was a dog gate which is still in place between the kitchen and the lounge. It is rarely closed these days but is shut occasionally e.g. if she comes in really muddy.                                    Julia

Offline Barry H

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 08:28:31 AM »
Could write a long diatribe, but suggest you have a trawl through the Puppies sub-forum where you'll find years of priceless Cockery wisdom with enough reading to keep you going for weeks without a break...

Also, 'The Perfect Puppy' by Gwen Bailey is second to none and pretty much essential reading

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »
Teenager!

My last dog Coco was doing so well until 7 months - I thought I had it sorted. Then she turned into this stroppy, defiant little madam who wouldn't do anything I asked her.  >:D So frustrating and difficult - I was in tears more than once when she refused to come back to me on a walk or just gave me "the look" and bogged off.

Go back to basics, buy wine and chocolate, and stay calm. Ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good - use time out when it gets too much. It takes time, but it will pass in a few weeks or months and you will have the wonderful companion you wanted  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »
Can only second the previous comments!
My first trainer at puppy class told us that dogs start to calm down at about 18 months to 2 years, she then turned to us, grinned and said „cockers 3 years“ !!!  :lol2:
Celebrate the successes, ignore the „failures“ (they are after all, only failures from a human point of view!  :shades:) , cockers thrive on approval rather than punishment so its better to be a bit OTT with  the praise when things go right than get into a sweat when they don’t. And console yourself with the fact that we’ve ALL been there! It does get better, - honestly!  ;) and remember we‘re always here when you need a rant!!  :005:

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »
Teenager! Just think Kevin and Perry  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:11:57 PM »
Ah yes, that phase, the joys!  Hang in there it does pass!  Wine, chocolate, whatever is your fix, stock up  :005:

Offline Barry H

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »
Ah yes, that phase, the joys!  Hang in there it does pass!  Wine, chocolate, whatever is your fix, stock up  :005:

I certainly did and Jack is now 5.  Beefeater gin and Fever Tree tonic ('cos nothing else will do).  I am still doggedly working my way through my stash (pun intended).  Hic!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 04:42:46 PM »

Um yes hang in there :005:....Ollie is 13 in November and I am still on the G&T - only time I can relax is when his eyes are closed and then his ears are still listen for a pin to drop and the next lot of cocker crackers to begin.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »
Its just a phase I am told ....

Sounds just like Salty (20 months) who still loves hiding under a table and barking, but is getting so, so much better

House-line worked for us as we could get him under control with no hassle and he knew it

Out on walks he still pulls like a train - I am currently perfecting Salty's walking 'Rig' actually
It is made of a Halti lead, and old halti collar (not around his neck) and a perfect fit harness.
The collar attaches to the second ring on the lead and goes to his harness back ring.
The end of the lead goes to his front ring.
I adjust the collar length so that it pulls on the back ring but if he pulls too much then the tension is also transferred to the front ring.
At my end the harness is looped around my waist, which I move down to my hips when he sees a cat or smells another dog track :)
(My wife says I am a typical Engineer but what does she know, she's just a Psychologist  :lol2:)
He still pulls but its more comfortable for everyone and I can pretend I am training by 'ignoring bad behaviour'
Actually it is slowly, very slowly working I think hope
In any case walks are less painful for us now - Its amazing the power a 12 kg dog has

If ever I get downhearted I think that at least it wont take as long for him to pass through this phase, as it will for my daughter .... (I jest, she is an Angel)