Author Topic: Canon D700  (Read 5576 times)

Offline helen1

• Site Member
Canon D700
« on: February 22, 2014, 06:40:39 PM »
Hi,
OH bought me this last night for my birthday.
Does anyone else have one?
It has a 18-55 IS STM lens on it.

Question is; How do I get closer pics of distance shots ie; the sea or hills?
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Canon D700
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
You will need a telephoto lens if you want to bring objects closer.

Are you sure it's a Canon?  They don't make a D700, but Nikon have a D700. However, Canon have an EOS 700D.

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »
your right it's the EOS 700D with 18-55mm IS STM lens on it.
Can you recommend a lens that I could get so as I can zoom?

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »
It depends what you want to photograph.  If you want to get close up to wild life then you need a long lens.  This link gives you some of the Canon lenses available.  http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/range/index.aspx

I have three lenses, not including the one that came with my camera.  EF-IS 15 -85mm; I use this all of the time. EF-IS 28 - 135mm; this is a medium telephoto; and  the EF-IS 75 -300mm, which is a long telephoto that I use for wildlife or extreme close ups.  They are all fairly expensive as you get what you pay for.  There are plenty of reviews of Canon lenses. 

http://www.jessops.com/accessories/lenses/canon  This will give you some idea of the price of Canon lenses. The designation IS means that the lens has an image stabilizer.  This is particularly useful on telephoto lenses as it helps prevent camera shake at low shutter speeds.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:48:40 PM »
My recommendation is to not rush into buying a long lens. I did, years back, and actually the first two long lenses I had were pretty useless - there's no point getting a big telephoto lens if all the photos end up blurred! The IS is helpful with long lenses, as is using a tripod, but that's something else to buy and carry... Lenses can be very expensive, but I'd try to go for the most expensive that you can afford - or you'll only end up spending more in the long run when you decide to upgrade!

If you want to get some ideas on how to use the camera, other than on automatic, try picking up a photography magazine or two - there are some aimed at all levels of experience. I found them really helpful.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
I can't agree about the use of long lenses.  If you know what you want to use the lens for then choose the most suitable.  Pictures shouldn't be blurred using a telephoto lens if you use a fast shutter speed, particularly if it also has IS.   No long lens is useless if you are using it correctly and it was bought wisely.

You need to think carefully before spending a lot of money on any lens.  Good lenses are expensive and you need to know its purpose before buying.  Canon have a website that helps you to use your DSLR and be creative.  Take lots of pictures and get used to your camera.

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »
thanks for advice. I got a EFS 55-250mm IS lens and I must say it's really good, just what I was looking for.
Not quite got the hang of the camera yet but having fun learning as I go along.
Dogs fed up with a camera pointing at them all the time  :005: