Author Topic: Biting  (Read 1094 times)

Offline StuartyW

Biting
« on: December 07, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
We are enjoying our first working Cocker we have had several other dogs including Boxers so loony dogs are no great surprise for us, but we are somewhat confused by our almost 14 week old wee boys behaviour.

He constantly bites the hem of my wife's jeans and feet but he leaves mine alone (why). This is biting, drawing blood type biting, not mouthing or playing. Upon our protests he gets more excited and then the situation deteriorates until he gets put in his cage for some chill time.
Reading other posts on this subject suggests that he will grow out of this given time but I'm not sure if my wife's patience is going to last that long.
I'm currently trying a small muzzle for him which he allow's me to fit with no resistance; and then we have a completely different dog on our hands quite as a mouse and as obedient as you would expect any 14 week old to be.

Should we continue with the muzzle? I don't really like using it and I don't want to use it too much, possibly knocking the character out of him; but he does seems so much calmer maybe even happier when he's wearing it.

Has anyone got any experience/advice for us on these issues

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Biting
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 06:06:09 PM »
personally I have never used a muzzle on a puppy to stop them biting, and I can't ever see me doing that.  Cockers are not known as cockerdiles for nothing.  Not sure why your wife's jeans are more appealing than yours  :dunno:  When the biting gets out of control, distract with a chew/toy or maybe a carrot to chomp on.  If he is not getting enough sleep then he will go into a sort of overdrive.  There was a very recent post on here with a puppy and people, who were having the same issues, and there are some very good ideas on there.  have a wee read, it might give you an idea of what to expect as well.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »
I'd echo ejp's advice.  Biting is normal puppy behaviour and a muzzle is not the right way to deal with it at all.  Your puppy needs structured play time and down time - plus safe things to chew.  As he is working strain he will have a very active brain that needs input from you in terms of games and play training.  These dogs are very different to usual 'pet breeds'.  If you don't mind me asking - what attracted you to getting a working type dog?  and what do you plan to do with him activity-wise when he's older?
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »
I agree about not using a muzzle – it is so important that they learn bite inhibition at this age; so they know using their mouth on humans isn't acceptable rather than just not being able to

We kept long rope toys in every room and as soon as the biting started could grab a one to use as a distraction, or once she knew a few commands we would get her to sit or lie down then reward with a chew.  Also using the crate as time out was really helpful. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »
I agree with others. Teaching not to bite is part of learning bite inhibition too. So would say ditch the muzzle. This is normal behaviour for pups and not just cockers as I see it in other breeds too when fostering (I used to wear wellies 1st thing as its harder when half asleep to deal with it).

Also be aware that when they hit their teens they can start mouthing (again I have seen it in many breeds while fostering and can tell you that it will sometimes hurt too when they catch the bone or skin as you try to remove whichever part they are mouthing) - again this is normal for many and training is again needed as you did for when they are a puppy.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!