Author Topic: eze on the peg (no shooting, no birds on this vid)  (Read 4312 times)

Offline ips

eze on the peg (no shooting, no birds on this vid)
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
Short vid possibly boring for many. Eze as a "none slip retriever" 😁
This was the drive from the retrieve vid. Totally steady to shot and fall at peg, off lead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GFYAgOTIIUE
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: eze on the peg (no shooting, no birds on this vid)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »
That is a lot of self control. When you say 'on the peg' I take it that means waiting until a bird has been brought down, do you then release on command?

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
Thank you ejp 👍

I appreciate that not everyone wants to see shooting or dead birds etc so I respect that by making it clear if it is likely to offend or safe to watch.

On a driven day teams of "guns" (the name given to a shooter on a driven day...a gun, the guns for instance) is usually 8 (sometimes less occasionally 10 but the usual is 8) draw numbers which determines which "peg" you are on for the first drive you then usually move up 2. So if you draw peg 4 you will shoot each drive as follows 4-6-8-2-4 the white marker as seen on the clip is the pre determined (by the keeper and or shoot captain) spot for that peg. Guns are "pegged out" approx thirty yards or more apart. Birds are then driven over the line of guns. Low birds are left to fly on as easy shots are considered un sporting and anyone who shoots un sporting birds will not be popular either with the other guns or the keeper. The rule of thumb is , if its unmissable you leave it, if its very high or difficult for your shooting ability you leave it as nobody wants injured birds. Injured or "pricked" (as we call them ) birds but it is an unfortunate occurrence and for that reason "picker ups" handlers with retrieving dogs stand well behind the gun line and send dogs to retrieve "pricked birds" on retrieval these birds are humanely despatched by the handler.

That is a quick idea of how a driven day is run. These days are steeped in tradition and etiquette including dress. I could write pages and pages but tha gives an idea.

Anyway, your question. A guns dog sits at peg (if it will sit without being restrained by a lead it is referred to as "a none slip retriever") and must remain steady to gunshot and to birds falling to the ground, the dog must not "run in" for these birds until after the drive and then will be commanded to retrieve (I use "get out") it is worth mentioning at this point that formal driven days have picker ups to carry out this task but smaller syndicate shoots such as my vid, at least some guns must have a "peg dog"

So, owners of WCS have taken on dogs that have been selectively bred over many many generations to do two things 1- to hunt for prey 2- to retrieve shot prey. The next time pooch brings your slippers or digs up your flower bed remember that it isn't being naughty it is instinctively doing what it was bred for 😁

I hope that gives you an idea of how things work, feel free to ask any questions.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
Thank you, I appreciate the explanation, it makes the videos more enjoyable when you understand the role of the dog and the goals that are set for them. Eze is very impressive, you both work well together.

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »
Thank you, I appreciate the explanation, it makes the videos more enjoyable when you understand the role of the dog and the goals that are set for them. Eze is very impressive, you both work well together.

Your very kind 😉