Author Topic: Grooming Ears  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Andrea Ellie

Grooming Ears
« on: January 21, 2020, 11:18:19 AM »
Hi everyone, as Ellie is getting older the hair on her ears is getting thicker and courser. Can I use a coat king on them to help or is there a detangling spray and comb that anyone would recommend? She's a show cocker visits the groomers often and I do brush her ears everyday but they seem to be getting knottier as she gets older. Any help would be great

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Grooming Ears
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 01:44:14 PM »
Hi! I‘ve got an Aktivet Pro Brush which my groomer persuaded me to buy  :huh: - It is excellent but a silly price IMO , I‘m sure you could could find an equally good but cheaper alternative. Its really good for detangling and also for removing those awful little seeds which Humphrey collects by the bagful in summer!  >:(
I usually start with a wide toothed metal comb and then finish off with a Spratts fine comb. Humphrey‘s hair on his ears is still quite smooth and fine, so an elastic band wound into the spratts comb  is usually enough to thin it out, I‘m not quite sure about the Coat King, I use one for the body (since he was castrated its become coarser and there‘s a lot more underwool)  but am not sure if its ok to use on the ears. Coat Kings seem to be one of those subjects where opinions are divided anyway, I’ve heard people say they’re not good as they cut the hair, others say they’re ok but not along the back and then there are others who have no problem at all with them - I think it rather depends on whether the dogs are being shown or if they‘re just pets but I‘d also be interested to read what others on here say re the ears.....
Don‘t know if that helps?

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »
Hi Bizzylizzy,

Thank you that does help. I'll have a look at the aktivet brush. Do you happen to know what number sprats comb you have?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 06:23:31 PM »
Spratts Comb 73 Fine.
This is the aktivet brush I have, (bought mine in Germany but this is the same)
http://www.redcape.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_64&product_id=550

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 06:31:03 PM »
P.s. - if you have a look on youtube, there are a couple a videos showing you how best to use the aktivet brush

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 06:58:02 PM »
Thank you very much, I'll take a look

Offline Barry H

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
Have a show type and only ever used a wide toothed comb with rotating teeth and a medium toothed to follow.  Brushing is no good really and have never used a Coat King.  Trailing them through puddles, mud, grass and God knows what means a good comb through is the minimum.   Overdoing it is a bit of a waste of time too since they're as bad as ever after two minutes outside.  Has to be a daily routine to keep them (relatively) tangle free.  Take it steady (no pulling with the comb!) and work from top to bottom on both sides.  If you find a knot/tangle use your fingers to detangle as much as poss. first.  If there's a really stubborn mat, carefully cut through it in the direction of the hair growth.

One of these should sort you out
https://www.diamondedgeltd.com/spratts-80-c2x20731568

Can also recommend Wahl Detangler/Conditioner to begin with (smells nice too)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Groom-Detangler-500-ml/dp/B0058OE98C/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=wahl+detangler&qid=1579685758&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-2

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 03:50:24 PM »
Thank you Barry. I've ordered a couple of spratts combs and I'll take a look at the detangler too. Ellie has always been ok with me brushing her ears but will take it nice and steady introducing the comb too.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »
I,ve got a grooming spray from Pets at Home, which I use occasionally if Dylan's ears get a knot, or in those tender spots of the undercarriage. It really does work, the comb will slide through the knot causing less upset to the dog. I think it has silicone in it.
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 03:55:10 PM »
Thank you. I'll have a look at that one too. Do you know what's it's called? My combs arrive tomorrow :-)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 08:54:28 AM »
It's the Groom Room', which is their own brand I think, Detangling Spray for All Coats. Mine is llight lemon fragrance, which is rather nice, though usually I don,t like my dog smelling like a place of ill repute  :lol2:.  You will find it in the section where they sell brushes and shampoos.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »
Thank you everyone for your advice...just used the spratts comb on Ellie's ears and it's worked perfectly. So much easier than a brush and seemed to handle the thicker hair easily.