Author Topic: Grooming face  (Read 2958 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Grooming face
« on: January 12, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
H, I‘m here again with yet another grooming question I‘m afraid, (since Humphrey was castrated its a whole new ball game!  )
What do you do with the hair on the face and bridge of the nose please? Humph‘s started sprouting coarser paler coloured bristly hair all over his face and was starting to resemble a loo brush. I used to just handstrip it  but post op its too much.  I made a big mistake today and tried to tackle it with some small cordless clippers which I usually use just for his chin and around his ears but the result is awful, really uneven where I’ve gone in a bit deep, he looks pockmarked!!  >:(  Thank goodness I didn’t injure him but  I‘m so cross with myself for being so stupid. Is there a hand tool, razor or clipper that would do the job safely? I‘ve looked online but its a bit of a minefield.
(Poor little chap keeps looking up at me adoringly, good job he doesn‘t know what he looks like!   :fear2:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Grooming face
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 06:17:05 PM »
Oh please can we see?  :005: Sorry for laughing, I'm sure it will even out in a few days and he will look like himself again. Whenever I clip Laurië I feel embarrast at all the uneven patches, but it looks OK after a week or so every time.

For the bristly hair on the bridge of the nose I use scissors. I brush the hair towards her nose so it all sticks up. Then I point the scissors away from her eyes and cut the hair on one side at the time while holding the eye on that side closed while I cut. Not sure how well it would work on a boy, on Laurië I can easily cut the bristly hair without touching the normal fur because the other bristles are not too thick.

There are tiny clippers too, pretty pricey but would make it easier. I remember we had some small cordless clippers at the clinic I used to work. Aesculap exacta I believe they were called. Gives you better control and is easier to move around features like nose and eyes. Don't know how small the ones you have are.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 07:13:38 AM »
Thanks Mari!  ;)
The small clippers I have are from Moser, look more or less the same as the Aesculap but cheaper.
He gets a bit jumpy when he sees scissors which is why I‘ve been a bit nervous about approaching his face but I‘ll give your method a try next time...
Thanks again!  :luv:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »
I used to clip the face using a No.10 (Oster/ Andis) blade.  There shouldn't be 'pockmarks' so long as the blade is held flat against the face (if that makes sense?).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »
I used to clip the face using a No.10 (Oster/ Andis) blade.  There shouldn't be 'pockmarks' so long as the blade is held flat against the face (if that makes sense?).

Yes, it does make sense, thankyou. I think I’m probably holding them wrong and the blade’s too short. I‘ll have another go with the Oster blade next time!  Thanks!  :D

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »

Yes, it does make sense, thankyou. I think I’m probably holding them wrong and the blade’s too short. I‘ll have another go with the Oster blade next time!  Thanks!  :D

No problem.  Also make sure you go in the direction of hair growth.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie