Author Topic: How much does your vet charge for a prescription  (Read 9687 times)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
How much does your vet charge for a prescription
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
I'm thinking of asking my vet for a prescription for flea treatments and just wondered how much other vets charge for this and how long its valid for.

I just had to have the cat treated for suspected ear mites (the vet wasn't positive that she had ear mites) but it was recommended that I treat all the animals with Advocate - my vet charges £10 more per pack than it would cost to buy on line.  £74 for 3 packs, would have been £42  on line

The last time I asked him it didn't seem worth it as any saving would be eaten up by the cost of the prescription, but if it was for a years worth it might be better.

Just wondered what other vets charge and does it depend on what the prescription is for?  :D

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: How much does your vet charge for a prescription
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
I rang to equire once and our vet charges £8.65 for a prescription. I ended up just buying the frontline combo at the vets but next time might ask him to prescribe it.

Offline Mrs Pepper

• Pepper
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
I've just this minute got back from the vets after picking up a prescription for 6 months worth of Advocate. They charge £12 (£10 + VAT). It's still cheaper doing it this way and buying the Advocate from VetUK than buying Advocate directly from the vets.  :D

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
Totally agree . :D

We have three girls and as my vet had just done yearly vaccination he was happy to charge 13.00 for one prescription which gave us six months per dog and as you say much cheaper . Even if we had paid 13.00 per dog  :D

Got the advocate from medic animal online and as it was my first order I got a further 15pct off as well as being 25pct cheaper than my vets .. Great saving for us  :D

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:08:18 PM »
Ours charge £8.53 for a small animal prescription.

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »
my vet is around £9 or £10 + VAT
i found animed is the cheapest!

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
The one time i asked my vet for a prescription she did it for free,maybe she hadn't had anyone ask before  :P

Is the advocate online shipped from another country ? there have been threads before about buying advocate online and not being sure if it is the real mcoy iyswim.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
Both Milly and Chaz are covered by our vet's in house insurance/prepayment scheme.
Two full checkups a year, teeth checked and nail clipping, annual injections and flea/worming treatment. Plus 10% off everything else at the practice including grooming.
The flea/worming treatment is a year's supply of Advocate of which we pick up a six month supply of at each checkup.
Total cost is £19-97 per dog per month paid by direct debit, just under £240 per year.......Go figure it out, seems a bargain to me and an ideal way to spread the vet costs.
Pet Insurance for Chaz is £226 per year and £190 for Milly, both 7k lifetime policies with Animal Friends, so both dogs are pretty well covered for about £900 in total a year. ;)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
Thanks everyone, last time I asked the vet they weren't very keen, but as the dogs are vaccinated at different times of the year I could get a prescription for 6 months for each of them which would cover them. As a rule I only ever treat the dogs & cats twice a year and use more natural methods for the rest of the time, and we've never really had a problem with fleas but didn't bargain on ear mites  >:D - thankfully only one cat was affected, the other cats ears were clear.

Both Milly and Chaz are covered by our vet's in house insurance/prepayment scheme.
Two full checkups a year, teeth checked and nail clipping, annual injections and flea/worming treatment. Plus 10% off everything else at the practice including grooming.
The flea/worming treatment is a year's supply of Advocate of which we pick up a six month supply of at each checkup.
Total cost is £19-97 per dog per month paid by direct debit, just under £240 per year.......Go figure it out, seems a bargain to me and an ideal way to spread the vet costs.
Pet Insurance for Chaz is £226 per year and £190 for Milly, both 7k lifetime policies with Animal Friends, so both dogs are pretty well covered for about £900 in total a year. ;)

Is this the Vets4pets scheme?

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 02:12:45 AM »
Hi supergirl

Just had a rake for the full details but, as usual, they've been tidied away so I'll get Dot to find them later on. :doh:

Most of the details are on their website though......http://www.townandcountryvet.co.uk

Bob.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »
William has Dry Eye and needs Optimmune eye ointment every day, which is very expensive. I pay £12 for a 6 month prescription, which means I can buy up to 6 tubes online and save myself approx. £140 every 6 months, so definitely worth it. I haven't gone down the prescription route for flea treatments because I don't use them regularly.

If you buy online please make sure you do some research beforehand as there are websites that may look as though they're supplying the genuine product but may not be. Look at reviews of the companies as well as trying to establish if they're genuinely in the UK.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
William has Dry Eye and needs Optimmune eye ointment every day, which is very expensive. I pay £12 for a 6 month prescription, which means I can buy up to 6 tubes online and save myself approx. £140 every 6 months, so definitely worth it. I haven't gone down the prescription route for flea treatments because I don't use them regularly.

If you buy online please make sure you do some research beforehand as there are websites that may look as though they're supplying the genuine product but may not be. Look at reviews of the companies as well as trying to establish if they're genuinely in the UK.

I wondered that and found something from DEFRA regarding online prescriptions - there is a VMD’s (Vetinary Medicines Directive) Accredited Internet Retailer Scheme.  Online sites that conform to the standard are displaying either a logo or their registration (sometimes found at the bottom of the web pages).  The logo is the document below.  I had a look at a few different websites and there are some that are definitely showing the logo or the registration, though there are some that seem to have a registered pharmacy registration.

This is a link to the leaflet giving details of the scheme - not an absolute guarantee but something to look out for on websites.
http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/leaflet_internetretailers.pdf

Examples
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/
registration no is at the very bottom of the page

This one has the logo on the left hand side
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/