Author Topic: Itchy spots - any suggestions?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline rubyduby

Itchy spots - any suggestions?
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:50:57 AM »
My girl has a number of itchy spots around her tail and back upper leg area, they look like insect bites or poss plant stings, we do have quite a few ants about. I have tried to find something I can put on the spot to reduced the irritation but can come up with nothing at the moment, would obviously need to be safe for her as she will probably still nibble at them...any ideas?

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Itchy spots - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 09:05:41 AM »
I use Sudocrem on my dogs for scrapes/ scratches/ irritation they incur during the shooting season.  Usually i clean the area with dilute hibiscrub, then follow up with Sudocrem.  There was an article a while back about a dog who (i think) died or was very ill after licking off sudocrem.  However, this was a dog who had a severe skin complaint and had it used daily in large quantities so the dog had likely ingested a lot of it over a prolonged period.  My dogs have never reacted badly to it and it definitely seems to soothe their injuries/ irritation.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Re: Itchy spots - any suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »
I've tried a lot of products over the last three years.  I had good results with Ekoneem last year, but it's oily which means even more bathing is required and it can't really be applied to large areas as it's so messy - and it doesn't smell very nice either. 
I tried Dermacton last year also, but I really didn't have any success with that - the shampoo bar, spray or cream! 
This year I tried Leucillin spray from Heathfulpets (my go to site for everything that Grace needs) and right now I'm really pleased with this! 
Grace bit at her stomach and caused a lot of damage just last week - red raw skin - I used the spray several times that same day and she didn't try to bite that area again - it didn't sting on application and doesn't smell.  It's a liquid, nice and cooling and can be used again and again on the same area - by the end of day one the area was already healing and she didn't end up an oily, smelly mess!  Just one week later you wouldn't know how much damage she did to that one area.