Author Topic: Grass seeds  (Read 2028 times)

Offline PennyB

Grass seeds
« on: January 17, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
My vet thinks Jasper has had a grass seed in his paw, which resulted in an abscess and having to be sedated to x-ray him and flush his paw.

Climate change has a lot to answer for if this is the case but have noticed a lot more stuff that should be gone or died by now out and about (or hibernating) - including bees and other insects.

We were only in vets 2 weeks ago after Bosley was sneezing excessively and then in obvious pain so vets saw me within the hour to discover he had an 11cm long piece of rigid thick dry grass stem stuck right up his nose which amazed the vet (mind you following week they all had a virus and now Jasper's paw - not helped by fact I had 2 cats pts before christmas too).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Grass seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »
Its the same here (Germany), Penny. Its been like spring this past week with temperature around 16 C some days and apparently some of the pollen is already flying, just wondering when the first ticks are likely to appear!,  >:(
Sounds like Japser and Bosely have been in the wars, hope they‘re recovering now!  :luv:

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 03:51:13 PM »
Friend of mine found a tick on her dog the other day!! I thought it was strange as it’s not got above 12 degrees here in weeks but it’s has been beautiful and sunny!! Let’s hope it was just a one off and that it’s not already that time of year :-(

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 01:37:43 PM »
Its the same here (Germany), Penny. Its been like spring this past week with temperature around 16 C some days and apparently some of the pollen is already flying, just wondering when the first ticks are likely to appear!,  >:(
Sounds like Japser and Bosely have been in the wars, hope they‘re recovering now!  :luv:

Bosley OK but Jasper has been remodelling the catflap with his bucket LOL
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Neil

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »
My vet thinks Jasper has had a grass seed in his paw, which resulted in an abscess and having to be sedated to x-ray him and flush his paw.
Nasty things, grass seeds. I had a Springer some years ago that twice had grass seeds that entered via his paw and travelled up inside his leg in each case requiring an operation under general anesthetic to remove the offending object!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 03:48:51 PM »
Nasty things, grass seeds. I had a Springer some years ago that twice had grass seeds that entered via his paw and travelled up inside his leg in each case requiring an operation under general anesthetic to remove the offending object!

Yes they are - Bosley had one 18 months ago that was travelling around his penile sheath poor lad - it made 3 tracts going round but thankfully after operating he removed the offending article
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 03:13:47 PM »
Rosie had a grass seed in Her paw...visit to the vets, grass seed removed, anitbiotics...cost an arm and a leg...then a breeder suggested trying Leucillin the next time...I suspected a grass seed as Her paw was swollen, so sprayed the area with the Leucillin , in the morning I could just see the top of the grass seed, removed it very gently as the paw was slightly swollen and sprayed the jnfected area a few times...by the next day you wouldnt have known.I think it helped draw the grass seed out.I wouldnt use in the ears or any where sensitive but on the paws I would use again.Then Rosie caught Her leg on some metal and grazed it, this was a Saturday afternoon so no vets open, so cleaned it up and sprayed the area, did the same on the Sunday and took Her to the vets just in case on the Monday although by then all looked ok.Told the vet what I had used and He said He uses the spray as well as it is a natural product that promotes healing.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »
Grass seeds are such a pain literally and financially!  I've managed to treat it twice with an oatmeal poultice on the paw. Pour boiling water onto oatmeal, allow to cool somewhat, wrap in a handkerchief and apply to paw, repeat frequently. Both times it drew out the awn, though I don't think it would work if it was very deep. Have had to have a nasal one and a facial one removed un GA, and one that travelled right up the leg. All different dogs   :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo