Author Topic: damaged tail  (Read 3726 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
damaged tail
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2004, 09:47:30 AM »
The thing is with the subject of docking is there will always be people who agree and people who do not. I don't see the point of thrashing it on the board though because it always ends up with the red corner and the blue corner  :roll:. At this point I would like to welcome Suzieq...a new member who started the thread  :)  I think her question was a very valid one. Although my Vets are anti-docking they are not against the amputation of all or part of tail for medical reasons.

Ok, if you don't want to discuss it I'm sure no one wants you to feel you have to. What about those like me who have an undocked boy, and are interested in the practicalities of it? Are we not to discuss it because some don't want to? Surely it makes more sense for the ones who want to, do?

I also have never stated I'm against docking - I know there can be real reasons to do so, and am interested in others' experiences of the subject. As a first time owner I'm always learning, and want to make an informed choice should I ever have to face it. I totally realise there are very valid medical reasons for doing so, and can't rule out me having to have it done to my boy down the line.

I just don't see how there are 2 corners - surely it's an ideal opportunity to stop myths, and encourage exchange of views - I've changed my mind a good few times over dicussing things with people.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
damaged tail
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2004, 02:32:42 PM »
hi, thanks for all your replies. thought it was time i gave you an update on my boys tail. took him to the vets and because of the extent of the damage she arranged to have part of his tail amputated.This was done on 12th february. He is now back to normal, his hair has grown back and he looks just fine but it was a very traumatic time for us.
One point i would like to make is that he didn't start to damage his tail until he was over 2 years old, until then he didn't have any problems with it.
Don't want to start a docking/anti docking arguement but would just like to say that until this happened i was very anti docking for whatever reason, went out of my way to buy a cocker with a full tail, was even heard to say 'but my dog never damages his tail'.Now i've changed my mind.                    
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
damaged tail
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2004, 02:56:49 PM »
Suzi - many thanks for the update - glad all is now well :D  :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
damaged tail
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2004, 03:07:23 PM »
:D Glad hes OK!  Will keep a close eye on my undocked girl!

Thank you  :)                    

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
damaged tail
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2004, 03:38:30 PM »
My girl Jasmine, has a lovely long tail, we live next to woodland with lots of brambles etc.  we have found keeping the fur trimmed fairly short she never has any problems!

Glad to hear he's doing well.                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
damaged tail
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 03:43:37 PM »
Hi Suzi, i'm glad he's back to normal!!  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~