Author Topic: Worming  (Read 508 times)

Offline joeyh1979

• Site Member
Worming
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
Hi
I wormed Jasper five weeks ago with wormer from the vet - ~Drontal I think although not 100% sure. This morning he had the runs and I found five live (although they weren't alive for very long) worms - each about 3-5 inches long - they looked like common worms you find in the garden......
I phoned the vet who said not to worm him again - it was the wormer working..... however, everything I have read implies that the wormer does not continue to work.... it works at the time - they just recommend 3 month intervals for effective regular treatment.
Jasper has also been frontlined recently and I don't know what to do...
Please help!

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Re: Worming
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »
How old is he? Wouldnt do any harm to worm him again especially if he's a youngster but perhaps vet is right. I always thought wormers worked over the first week or so...

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline joeyh1979

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:58:44 AM »
So did I.............
He's 4 - not a puppy anymore (although he likes to think so)

Offline sooze

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »
Maybe Jasper picked up some worms after you dosed him, or maybe they have just been hanging on for grim death since he was wormed and have only just now been passed ....  If he poos out any more, try and get a sample to show your vet ......