Author Topic: Found a tick - help!  (Read 2109 times)

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
Found a tick - help!
« on: May 03, 2008, 06:26:51 PM »
Just back after a week on holiday with the doggies in Devon and have just found a tick on Maddie - UEWWWW!!!

Anyway got the tick remover out of the first aid bag and have removed the tick following the instructions - however I am not sure how well it went.

The tick didn't come off easily and we may have accidentally squeezed its body.  I think it is all out as we have a tick with legs.

We have used antiseptic wipes and germalene afterwards - the vets is now closed until Monday.

Maddie is fine in herself - what do I need to look out for - worried mum time!!

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Found a tick - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 06:44:18 PM »

As long as you got it all out, you shouldn't have any problems... the site might be a little red/swollen for a little bit, but I would keep an eye to make sure it doesn't get infected.
 :D
Lyme disease is always a risk from a tick bite, but fairly uncommon - from what I've read symptoms of this wouldn't appear for a couple of months anyway, and would mainly be lethargy, fever and pain in joints.

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
Jarv always has a lump after tick removal - and that is with getting the whole thing out - so don't worry too much.  Keep an eye on it and if it looks bigger/redder/infected then take her to the vets on tuesday.

A very tiny proportion of ticks carry lymes  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies guys  :D

The site looks fine - just a bit sore looking but she was an absolute angel for her dad whilst he was getting it out  :luv:

Will keep a close eye on it though!

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »
Awww Lisa don't worry to much I'm sure Maddie will be fine and Molly usually gets a small lump after the tick is removed Like Jarv does.

She probably picked it up on the moor mine always do as there are loads of sheep about.

If you used the tick remover as instructed I'm sure you did it ok ;)
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 09:08:45 PM »
God I hate those things! Have you seen one move before its attached? They are FAST!! Like a horrible flat spider. Millie had one crawling over head the other day and I picked it up before realising what it was  :o.

Millie

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 12:06:51 PM »
Mine get STACKS of tics - sheep in the fields one side of of my house and a forest full of deer and heather the other side.. it's tic central around here  :P However, we've never had any repercussions other then me squirming during the removal process  :P :P :lol2:

I'm sure Maddie will be just fine, just keep an eye on it and although not impossible to catch, Lymes disease is still VERY rare in the UK in dogs.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »
best thing to do is take it off onto a white piece of paper or kitchen paper, have a look at it closely and you will see it moving about at the front end, often they might try to wander off, then you know you have it all off and can stick him in the fire  >:D >:D >:D
3 last week after our trip to Dunbar, tiny little ones  >:D

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 03:49:59 PM »
Quincy had his first today, orrible little blighters, it wasnt full of blood so im guessing he got it on this mornings walk, felt is as soon as i got home it came out quite easily though head and all , dont worry shell be fine xxx
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »
the first time arnie had a tick i thought he had a extra booby.so i left it there for a few days  i could not beleave it when my friend said hes got a tick

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 07:12:04 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.

I am still a bit worried that we didn't get the head out.  There is just a very small red lump there today. Can't believe that she must have had it on her for days and we didn't spot it  :'(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »
Jarv's lumps last for up to a week - have a close look at the lump, you may see the head parts if they're there.  In all honesty, being the terrible owner I am, we have left head parts in (not intentionally) and a couple of days later the lump went like a pimple and burst - the only infection was in the 'spot' and cleared up quickly  ;)

today I found one on his ear - one of those horrible big grey ones (blerrrrrk).  Typical, but no o-tom handy and I just couldn't leave it there so did the very quick pulling out (while gagging) and managed to get it all out.  They are disgusting  >:D
helen & jarvis x

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 09:16:19 PM »
. Can't believe that she must have had it on her for days and we didn't spot it  :'(

Lisa If it makes you feel any better I had a tick on myself once, on the back of my thigh. It had started to expand when i discovered it so gawd knows how long it had been there  ph34r I was mortified  :o so dont feel bad about not finding it on Maddie  ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 09:21:31 PM »
Thank you Helen and Lisa  :D

I have to say both Maddie and Woofie have enjoyed the umpteen examinations they have had in the last 24 hours to see if we could find anymore!

I have had a close look at the lump and there may be a black 'something ??' in the centre but there again it could just be a little scab.

Will monitor it closely - it certainly isn't worrying Maddie bless her  :luv:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 09:27:58 PM »
Lisa, I don't know what I'm looking for with ticks so probably wouldn't spot one on Indie for days either.   Whereabouts on the body did you find it, slightly worried that I wouldn't spot them on Indie as her coat is really thick.   Theres so much mention of ticks at the moment and I've never seen one in my life - not that I want to, they sound revolting.