Author Topic: Found a tick - help!  (Read 2110 times)

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
Re: Found a tick - help!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »
Lisa, I don't know what I'm looking for with ticks so probably wouldn't spot one on Indie for days either.   Whereabouts on the body did you find it, slightly worried that I wouldn't spot them on Indie as her coat is really thick.   Theres so much mention of ticks at the moment and I've never seen one in my life - not that I want to, they sound revolting. 

OH found it on Saturday towards the bottom of her back.  I am not sure what day she could have got it as we went to Dartmoor on Monday, she was in kennels on Wednesday for the day and I know they took her for a walk, and there was long grass near the beach on Thursday and Friday.

Actually I would be surprised if she had had it a long time because she gets a lot of fuss of everyone and her fur isn't really that thick.

You would definitely know what it was if you every find one - fingers crossed that you don't.

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »
Thanks Lisa, sounds like you got all of it out, hope it wasn't too traumatic for you.   :D

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »

Actually I would be surprised if she had had it a long time because she gets a lot of fuss of everyone and her fur isn't really that thick.

they start out tiny, you wouldnt notice them, but once they have had a good feed they are easier to spot, it could easily be there for a week and not be massive, dont panic, worst thing is its the head, get tweezers and have a poke then give it a good clean, its not the end of the world, honest  :D ;)

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »
If you are worried there might still be a bit in there, then I would dab on a drop of tea tree oil.  It is fab at drawing things out (splinters, ingrown hairs etc) and is also antiseptic  :D  Am sure it will be fine though - Coco has not had any ticks yet this year but my cats have and there is always a bit of a lump left behind  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »
worst thing is its the head, get tweezers and have a poke then give it a good clean, its not the end of the world, honest  :D ;)

read this back, in case anyone misreads me, I meant the small black spot left behind, not the whole tick which is best removed with an o-tom.

Most common places for ticks are the face and ears as thats usually the spaniels first brush with the undergrowth - they stick their nose into something for a sniff. Very common for them to be on areas like eyebrows, lips, crown of the head etc, one of Bilbo's was on his lip. Check the ears inside and out, often they are under the ear flap in a nice hairless bit etc - dont panic about searching but get into the habit of checking after a walk in areas where their are sheep and deer etc and then always recheck a few days later as they would be easier to find. Just run your fingers about and feel for any small lumps - treat it like a mini massage or bonding session  :D

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 04:14:51 PM »
Found another B*****y tick, this time on Woofie last night

Should have bought the O'tom tick remover after the Mikki one didn't work.

OH was at work so I had to resort to sterilising the tweezers and removing it myself.  Luckily it came out whole but this time it was still alive and kicking - urggh!!!!

Off to buy a o'tom although where Woofie found his tick from I don't know unless it has been there three weeks since the walk on dartmoor.  He has been checked out very thoroughly since Maddie got hers so I don't know how we missed it

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 04:26:15 PM »
you have my sympathy - I'm finding them daily at the moment (go and order your O-Tom NOW!!!)  ph34r :shades: ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 04:41:02 PM »

Yup - Honey's got another, and I managed to get yet another before it attached itself...
 ::)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
I have never seen a tick before until this morning  :o euuugghhh
i am totally grossed out by it...it made me gag  ::)...found it when i was greeting lola (yes it would be Lola  ::) ) when i came home from work....felt it first...then had a look.....it was massive  :o and the ugliest thing i have ever seen..it was white and about the size of a pea it was that fat i couldn't see its legs  :o....sorry but i wasn't touching that so rang the vets  ::)..if you think that is bad my OH wouldn't even look at it  ::)  was just about to take her down when i caught her biting around the area ..it was on her body so within easy reach ..had another look and it had gone so i don't know if it fell off on its own or if Lola bit it off   :huh: 
so if it fell off does that mean it is still alive and living in my rug somewhere  :-\

Cazzie

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 02:53:05 PM »
Took a real beauty off Sassy's head last night  :o It was far from an easy job with those claws of hers  :o But got it out. We had the usual cremation Grrrrrrrr  :005:

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 04:36:16 PM »
We found one on Sam today.  Had to go to PAH and got a tick remover (mikki one) and it worked fine.  OH was really grossed out about and was not keen on taking it out (woose).  Eventually he took it out and it was huge  :o  Put it on a bit of kitchen towel and the legs were still moving, yuck.

I hate them  >:(
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »
it was on her body so within easy reach ..had another look and it had gone so i don't know if it fell off on its own or if Lola bit it off   :huh: 
so if it fell off does that mean it is still alive and living in my rug somewhere  :-\

If Lola has bitten or scratched it off there's a chance she's just swiped the body off and the head could still be stuck in her, it's quite hard to get the head out when they're attached. You should probably have a look where it was just to check there's none of it left in her. And yep, if it did just drop off then it'll be in your rug somewhere... better get the magnifiying glass out :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 07:32:36 PM »
it was on her body so within easy reach ..had another look and it had gone so i don't know if it fell off on its own or if Lola bit it off   :huh: 

If Lola has bitten or scratched it off there's a chance she's just swiped the body off and the head could still be stuck in her, it's quite hard to get the head out when they're attached. You should probably have a look where it was just to check there's none of it left in her. And yep, if it did just drop off then it'll be in your rug somewhere... better get the magnifiying glass out :005:

ewwww great.. so it could go back on one of the dogs if it is still alive  :huh:  >:(
we still took Lola to the vets as we thought the same..that the head might still be in her...she has a red swollen lump and we just have to keep an eye on it...i think she may have had one on her chin as well as she has the same swollen lump there  :-\ she wouldnt let the vet look at that though..shes abit funny about her mouth since the stick incident  ::)
stocked up on advandix (sp) as i dont want to have to deal with them ever again  ;)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:30 PM »
The best deterrent against ticks is the Scalibor collar.  See here http://www.intervet.co.uk/products_public/scalibor_collar/010_overview.asp?/