Author Topic: Suzie ill... Vet baffled!  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Fran

• Site Member
Suzie ill... Vet baffled!
« on: April 05, 2004, 12:24:55 PM »
Dear All,

Have not been on COL for some time and I know some of you are aware of the reason and I thank you for your well wishes.  If things could have possibly got worse they have!

This might be rather long.......

Went out for the 1st time in over nine weeks to the Teenage Cancer Trust concert at the Royal Albert Hall thursday night.  Got back and noticed that Suzie's head and her front legs and chest were 'wobbling' from side to side.  When she tried to walk she lost balance and was 'goose stepping'.  We went to the vets at 1.00am.  The vet thought she was having seizers or had had an epeliphic fit.  She was kept in for observation.  X-rays, blood tests done Friday which showed up no abnormalites, vet said he had not witnessed the 'wobbling' but would like to keep her in Friday night at no extra cost, and we could pick her up Saturday morning.  Phoned up Saturday to see what time we could pick her up and he said she had started 'wobbling' and losing balance again 7.00pm Friday night.  He put her under sedation to take fluid from her brain, which was ok.  He said he is completely baffled with her symptons, gave us some tablets for epilipsy and said to see how she goes and come back Wednesday.  He said the next stage is refering her to  Neoscience and doing an MRI Scan.

Her wobbling from side to side is now consistent, her balance has deterioted, her back legs keep collapsing, her front legs keep slipping from underneath her.  I have to phone the vet who is in surgery back at 2.30pm.  This is just awful!  Obviously Suzie's health is the main issue but the other problem we are having to deal with is that with my son being so ill my household paperwork  got pushed to one side and I have now realised that her Insurance has lapsed!   We paid the vet £350.00p on Saturday (just as well we are financially secure!)

Please keep your fingers crossed for us                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 12:35:54 PM »
Oh Fran
 i'm so sorry to hear about Suzie my thoughts are with you and your family and i hope the vet is able to find some answers soon.  

All my love and best wishes

Torie, Laney, Jessica, Lace and Sasha XXX                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 12:49:03 PM »
Fran, I'm so sorry to hear this - especially on top of everything else, this must be very hard. I really hope that the vet can make a diagnosis soon, and start to treat Suzie for whatever is ailing her :(                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 12:50:51 PM »
Fran...I am so sorry to hear your news  :(  exactly what you don't need at the moment I know  :?  I really do hope that the vet finds out what the problem is  :?:  .

my old dog, a collie cross...suffered from something very similar to this, and he basically lost all of his balance and couldn't hold his head up  :(  the vets kept him confined to a crate for 4 days and gave him painkillers and anti-inflamatrys, he did eventually get better and went on to lead a normal happy life  : :) I really hope they find out what it is soon....thinking about you and your family  :wink:

Gilly                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 12:58:24 PM »
Fran

So sorry to hear this news, I hope the vet can find out whats wrong soon. We're all here for you. Keep us posted.

Hugs are sent from me and Phoebe                    
Anita

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 01:22:43 PM »
Hi Fran, i,m so sorry to hear this,  :(  My hubby walks Nell with another Lab, and he seemed to have something similar, Last weekend.

His owner said When he came down in the morning,he couldnt stand up at all, he just kept falling over,   :(    he was kept at the vets from Friday till Monday.

He eventually  found the use of his legs. They still don't know the real cause, the vet seemed to think it was a virus. He is now back to normal.  :D

Thinking of you Fran. I hope they find the problem soon and she can then be treated.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 02:25:49 PM »
Hi Fran,

Hope Suzie gets better soon, I'm sending lots of (((hugs))) for you all.

Thinking of you

Maria x                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 02:46:08 PM »
Hi Fran

So sorry to hear that Suze isn't so well :(  

Thinking of you, and sending lotsa hugs too!

Emm x                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 03:35:09 PM »
So sorry to hear about Suzie :(  Hope the vet can give you a diagnosis this afternoon and that she will soon be on the mend :?                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 04:52:17 PM »
So sorry to hear about Suzie - what a worry this must be on top of everything else :( Hope the vet can pinpoint the reason for these strange symptoms - they sound a little like Vestibular Syndrome although I would have thought Suzie was a little young for this condition. Fingers crossed for you anyway :)                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 04:59:31 PM »
Gosh this sounds so frightening. I do hope the vet gets it sorted for you and very soon too.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 05:22:13 PM »
Thinking of you Fran, your family and of course Suzie too. I sincerely hope that life for you all soon returns to some level of normality.
very best wishes
Michele                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 09:17:08 PM »
aww fran i hope the vet sorts Suzie out soon im sure he will , good luck with her keep us posted how shes getting on :) send my wishes to your family too .                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 08:37:06 AM »
sounds like you're having a pretty tough time at the moment, Fran.  Hope things improve for you, your family and Suzie soon.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Fran

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 10:14:05 AM »
Hi all,

Took Suzie back to the Vets yesterday afternoon.  He is still saying "It is all rather strange".  He has ruled out Caudal Cervical Spondylomyelopathy and Epilipsy (he told us to withdraw the drugs he had given us for Epilipsy as they had given Suzie cronic diarrhoea)  and is arranging an emergency appointment for hopefully today with a Neurologist in Wimbledon who he has told he has a dog with what he thinks is Cerebellum Disease.  

Thanks for your kind wishes,

Fran