Author Topic: Mysterious Lump!  (Read 3235 times)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« on: April 07, 2004, 09:56:22 AM »
Hi There
Jessie went to the groomer on Saturday for the first time for a trim. When we collected they advised us they had found a v. small wart type lump on her shoulder. We didn't worry too much and kept an eye on it. Yesterday it seemed to have grown a bit and was a bit red and angry looking so off to the vets we went!
Our vet isn't 100% sure but thinks it is a type of common growth that occurs in young dogs (not malignant thank god!) I think she called it a histo sarcoma...well something like that ! She did advise us however to have it removed as she is so young. This would mean another general anaesthetic (she has already been spayed and chipped).
I was wondering if anyone else had heard of it and what they thought about leaving it a while before having it removed. We are away over easter so have to wait a little bit anyway! Should we be worried about another anaesthetic?
Jane and Jessie who is wondering what all the fuss is about!                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 10:16:36 AM »
Hi Jane,

Do you mean a histiocytoma? If its not bothering her at all and doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort, then you could leave it but if it was me, I would rather have removed while it was still small. Means less time under anaesthetic etc. Generally, anaesthetics these days are a lot safer and most young dogs recover fine from them. And like I say, if its removed while its still small, she wouldn't be under for too long. Vegas had to have two anaesthetics within about 1 month of each other and while thats not ideal, he was fine.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 12:54:47 PM »
most young healthy dogs come out of the ops fine , i had a simulare thing happen to me our vet said the same thing but two weeks later it went black and he had a different verdict ,

It probably is just a common growth like your vet said , but if i had to deal with any kind of lump again , It would be removed straight away , just incase .
 mind you as most of you know i did have a terrible vet , im happy to say ive found a lovely vet she took 20 mins over us with the cat , now the rest of the gangs booked in for a check up :)                    

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 12:35:00 PM »
Hi there!

Bailey's groomer noticed a small lump on Bailey's head in January.  We took him to the vet who thought it was a seborrhoeic cyst.  He said it was up to me whether I got it removed.  I decided to get it removed, firstly because of where it was and secondly because he was still young (8 months.)  Bailey's vet decided to do the operation under local anaesthetic and sedation (could this be an option for you?).  When he operated, he discovered that there was actually 2 cysts, both full of black hair that would have just grown and grown!

Maybe you could ask your vet if sedation is an option, especially as the lump is still quite small.

Good luck!.

Elisa & Bailey.

PS:  Bailey felt a bit sorry for himself for a day, then was charging around as normal, none the wiser and minus the lump!!!                    
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline PennyB

Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 01:05:04 PM »
I would have it removed or at least tested if I were you especially if its red and angry looking and I'm glad I did with Wilf's lump.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 05:31:05 PM »
Brogan was diagnosed with this at just under 5 months old - the youngest pup our vet had seen with one. We found the lump on Christmas day. The vet said that it should go on its own but she would treat with a course of antibiotics and steroid tablets (prednisolone) to see how it reacted.  

I am pleased to say that it responded well and Brogan was lump free within a few weeks.  Our vet wasn't keen on operating as a first treatment.  The lump also went black as it was healing.  The Histiocytoma was about the size of a 50p piece and very red, raised and angry at the start of treatment.  

Suppose all vets have different views and must take each individual case into consideration - was just glad that we avoided unnecessary surgery in our particular case - although I would not have hesitated taking that route if I had been advised.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Sue H

Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 08:00:13 PM »
Bramble also had a lump which appeared just above his stopper pad on one of his front legs - it looked horrible (like a red jelly-tot) and we noticed it when it bled because he had such hairy little arms then - he had it removed and all was well - the Vet assured us it was just one of those things - it does, however, pay to think about getting insurance with Lifetime Cover, otherwise any recurrence of lumps or cysts is likely to be kicked into touch by the cheaper insurers ....                    

Offline PennyB

Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 09:19:30 PM »
Personally I'd go with your vet, that is if you trust them. Often with histiocytomas when they reach a certain size vets will at least biopsy them/remove them (Wilf's couldn't be removed initially because it was on his ear so they did punch biopsies and fine needle ones on it) and then test it, while histiocytomas are very common its still best to know what you're dealing with (for your own peace of mind if anything as some types of lump can keep recurring and in a very tiny percentage they can be something a little more serious).

Biopsies can be done under sedation and the act of the biopsy more often than not encourages the immune system to attack the lump and eventually go away (as long as steroids aren't given as these can suppress the immune system)                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 09:51:23 PM »
Hi there

A week on from my last post I thought I would update you on Jessies lump.
It was a histiocytoma that he vet said last week but today we made a repeat visit as it has more than doubled in size in a week and looks black and crusty on top  :?
Thankfully the vet said today she is very sure it is a histiocytoma and we have arranged for Jessie to go in on Friday this week to have it removed  :(
We discussed creams and steroids but both feel surgery is the best option given its rapid growth rate.
Il post again when we bring her home and update you all on her progress.
Cheers

Jane and Jessie (who wonders why we keep going to the pet shop thats next door but one to the vets  :lol:                    

Offline roy

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 10:01:26 PM »
Having just come back onto the COL site and told everyone my 10month lold Alfie was fine, found he has a very large lump on his bum!! About the size of a 10p across and about 3/8" deep. He's been on antibiotics for a week to see if that would cure, saw vet this morning and he wants to operate immediately, thinks it's a tumour - wont know whether it is malignant until samples sent to lab. Just feel so sorry for the little chap, at least this time tomorrow the op will be over and then it's wait and see time until lab results are back. Hey ho. Kind regards to everyone  Roy                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 10:13:51 PM »
good luck for tommoro im sure everything will go well . it just goes to show that its better to have lumps out straight away , it sounds like youve caught it quick anyway so it should be fine :)
fingers crossed for you , let us know how it goes :)                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 12:57:39 PM »
Good luck for friday.  You're doing the right thing.  A 5 day course of steroids worked for Brogan - on that occasion.  We would've however had it removed if it hadn't responded so quickly to treatment.  It would also have been a decision taken without any hesitation - can't take chances with lumps!!  I give Brogan a full body check every time I groom him now - certainly makes you bump aware!

Roy hope the operation went well and the results come back clear.  Certainly know how to worry us these dogs of ours!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline PennyB

Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 01:24:13 PM »
Good luck with the op.

You're lucky it is where it is—poor Wilf had to have part of his ear removed to get rid of his, but it healed up very well (thankfully surgeon was quite careful about how he did it as he appreciated that cockers ears are their trademark really and he was chuffed with the result).                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 02:21:16 PM »
How did Alfies op go Roy?  I hope everything went well. :)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Mysterious Lump!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 10:32:54 PM »
Hope all goes well on Friday Jane, will be thinking of you!