Author Topic: Tia in the wars again!!  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« on: April 16, 2004, 12:59:29 AM »
Tia, our one eyed wonder has run into a bike and dislocated her jaw! :shock:
We were away camping, and went for a walk along a river path which is heavily used for cycling too. We grabbed her as usual when bikes were near as she doesn't appear to notice them even on her sighted side.
We started to head back towards the camp site away from the river, and she was trotting along side. Suddenly she swung back and ran towards the river again straight into a bike.
The chap was very upset - an awful shock for him as well as us, and poor Tia was crying fit to bust. We were extremely lucky he didn't go right over her as he was such a big man :!:
She'd hit her face on the tyre, and at first didn't look too bad. After a few minutes we realised she couldn't close her mouth. The camp site warden had the number of a vet who was open on Easter Monday, so off we went.
Tia had a to have a general anesthetic, and now has to wear a muzzle for 5 days.
It has been an interesting experience - messy's not the word :roll: - feeding her with a syringe and everyone we meet thinks our soft girl is a dangerous dog :)  I now automatically explain that the muzzle is to keep her jaw in place after an accident so that people don't think we let a dangerous dog run loose.....
Roll on Saturday when we can take it off. We have to hope that it doesn't dislocate again when we do, or it's off to the vet again.
The insurance will pay for most of it, but not the £45 excess - oh dear!                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 07:48:56 AM »
Oh poor Tia :(  She seems to be more accident prone than my lot :wink:  :lol:  I'm sure she will bounce back from this too, no problem. Give her a big get well soon kiss from me                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 08:16:35 AM »
Oh poor Tia, and poor you - you must have got such a fright  :? .  She does seem to be having a run of bad luck just now, doesn't she  :cry:   After just geting her lampshade off and all.  I hope she's on the mend and will be back to normal soon :) .  Let us know how she gets on at the vets on Saturday.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 09:05:43 AM »
Poor girl - hope she's OK. And what a holiday - sounds like the kind I have :?                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 09:08:22 AM »
Oh dear, poor Tia. Hope she's feeling better. Bet you can't wait for Saturday.

I always have nightmares about dogs and cyclists. Phoebe is quite aware but sometimes the bikes are so quite she doesn't notice them until they are really close!                    
Anita

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 09:54:20 AM »
Poor Tia, it must have been very painful for her. Roll on saturday, when she can have that awful muzzel off.  :)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 09:58:11 AM »
Oh, that's such a shame, poor girl!

How unlucky, I hope she doesn't need anything done surgically,

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 10:59:15 AM »
Poor old Tia - what a thing to happen on her holiday.
Am sure she'll make an excellent recovery, but what a fright she must have got. Pickle sends big get well soon kisses.
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 12:28:10 PM »
:( Poor Tia, hope shes well again soon                    

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 08:54:05 PM »
Poor Tia. I hope she is making a good recovery. She must have been in a lot of pain, and such a shock for you. Hope you are all ok now.                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 11:21:14 PM »
Poor Tia, as if she hasn't had enough already  :cry:  Hope you're coping ok too. Let us know how she gets on in the morning  :)                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 03:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the messages everyone!
The vet in Cardiff said that we could take the muzzle off ourselves, so we did. OK at first, she ate some soft food , and then after a little while came to me wimpering very quietly with her mouth open.
So off to the Harmsworth again and as soon as we walked in Tia clicked it back! Whilst waiting for the vet, it clicked out and back in.
This is apparently unusual (trust Tia) as dislocations usually do well with the muzzle. Could operate to remove the joint :shock: , but best left for another week in the muzzle :x
She made a half hearted attempt to get it off, but has resigned herself to it. She's lost 2kg (not such a bad thing) and her KCS has flared up a little. That eye had got to the point of needing little artificial tears, but needs them again now. The vet said that KCS can be stress related!
What a day!!                    
Mary P

Thanks!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2004, 08:02:36 PM »
:?  :(  Aww, what a shame the muzzle didn't sort it out.  Well maybe another week will do it  :wink:   I hope she doesn't need another op so soon after the last one - she's such a brave wee thing - she's really been through the mill lately.  Hope the KCS flare-up isn't too bad  :?

Send her hugs from me, Morgan and Cooper  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline PennyB

Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 11:56:00 PM »
Ouch! Was this the River Taff she collided with a cyclist on. Poor Tia. Have to say we're always dodging cyclists and trail bikes along that river and I know it can be a complete nightmare.

Hope she's OK and there are no other problems.

I know how you feel about going to the vets all the time—we're thinking of renting the flat above our vets. LOL                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Tia in the wars again!!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 08:58:05 PM »
Yes Penny,
It was the Taff. We are usually so careful due to her sight problem, but thought we were away from the bikes......   Cockers can really move when they put their mind to it :wink:
Only one more full day and then we can try taking the muzzle off again - wish us luck!                    
Mary P

Thanks!