Author Topic: Knock out breath  (Read 2608 times)

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
Knock out breath
« on: April 24, 2004, 01:44:14 PM »
Hope you can give me some tips... PLEASE

Maggie has got bad breath. (Understatement!)

It hum diddly hums and could knock you out sometimes!

Hubby has checked her mouth and wiped inside her cheeks (brave man) and cleaned her teeth. I have bought those white minty sticks, some other dental care chews too. She still pongs.

I am not well up on canine care and really don't know what to do. Should I take her to the vets??

I am probably noticing it more due to being pregnant but it really does turn my stomach. Poor thing is kept at arms length and definately no kissing!!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Samantha  :D                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Knock out breath
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 01:55:06 PM »
When I was pregnant (4 times  :lol: ) each time I swore the carpets smelt of dirty dogs.....hubby and kids told me it didn't, but I still made him clean them all time and time again until I had the baby.

So I expect your hormones are playing havoc with your sense of smell!

If your dog does have bad breath, are all the teeth ok?  or maybe it's the food you are feeding?

I'm sure somebody will come along soon and help you out!                    

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
Knock out breath
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 03:50:21 PM »
Hi Sharon, this is my 4th too  :D
Hormones certainly do drive you potty.

It's definately not a pregnancy thing. Everyone else can smell her too. She's only 6 months old and she has just got her adult teeth so I don't think they are the cause.

I feed her on IAMS complete food and she sometimes has Butchers tripe with mixer but that isn't very often.

I guess she's just a dog with pongy breath and I'm going to have to get used to it??                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Knock out breath
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 04:40:50 PM »
When a dog have a bad smell, it is posible that they have scale. They also can have anything wrong with their stomage.

If she was mine I took her to the vet. If it's nothing then you're sure it's your hormones :D                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Knock out breath
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 04:48:08 PM »
If the smell is really that bad, then it could be an infection known familiarly as 'cocker mouth', or technically as lipfold dermatitis - the vet will be able to help if this is the case.

I'm lucky - the worst I have to put up with is cat-litter breath  :?                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Knock out breath
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 10:34:43 PM »
:twisted: I couldn't stand the smell of washing up liquid for the whole of my pregnancy :wink:

Michelle                    

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Knock out breath
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 10:27:25 AM »
Hi Sam. Just a thought, but if Maggie's big teeth have JUST come in, the pong could be connected to this. Pickle's breath was rancid while he was teething, and not just when the little ones fell out, it stayed smelly until his adult teeth were fully through. It was a horrid smell, like rotting blood. He's not quite 6 months yet, but his breath has definitely improved in the last week or so.
Hope wee Maggie smells better soon - she'll be missing giving you kisses!!
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Knock out breath
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 03:18:19 PM »
We thought Boysie had really bad breath at one point and tried everything. He then went for a routine check with the vet, who pointed out it was lipfold dermatitis, (as Mike has suggested). We got some cream which cleared it up nicely, but it does come back every now and then. You might want to check around the mouth area for any folds, as this could be where the smell is coming from.                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Knock out breath
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 04:38:22 PM »
A quick check for Lipfold Dermatitis is if you run your hand along the side of the mouth - not going inside - bit just alongside - then sniff!! If it stinks - then it's a good chance it is Cocker Mouth.

Wiping with Hibiscrub which you can get from a chemist is very effective - unless it's a severe case which may need antibiotics and/or ointment. It's not nice though. :?                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Knock out breath
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 03:44:29 PM »

Wiping with Hibiscrub which you can get from a chemist is very effective - unless it's a severe case which may need antibiotics and/or ointment. It's not nice though. :?

This might be a silly question, but do you have to dilute the Hibiscrub at all? I have got some, but it didn't come with any instructions.                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Knock out breath
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 03:51:24 PM »

This might be a silly question, but do you have to dilute the Hibiscrub at all? I have got some, but it didn't come with any instructions.

Maria

You wet a piece of towelling or cotton pad - a large cotton pad like the round beauty ones - is perfect, with ater than pour a bit of Hibiscrub on it and wipe. You might find it's not taken too well - Bud hates it - but the result is very quick!! :D (Obviously depending how bad it is) but a couple of days should see things getting better.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Knock out breath
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 03:56:58 PM »
Thanks Pammy for the quick response!
I will try this tonight - I've also tried adding a dash of cider vinegar to his meals, and though it seems to reduce the 'ferocity' of the attack, it doesn't stop it completely.                    

Offline kESSIFER

• Site Member
Knock out breath
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 03:49:25 PM »
I have two Cockers Gemma golden  almost 13 almost blind very hard of hearing,she is very athritic but can still chase a cat. Her breath could strip paint.I have read the Hibiscrub suggestion and will try it. I have asked the vet on several occasions and they say just one of those things.
Any suggestions.

I also have Kes a blue roan 8year old also bad breath not quite as bad as Gem is it contagious. Vet has also seen her and said the same.
They are both fed on Iams Adult drink and drink plenty.                    

Offline PennyB

Knock out breath
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 11:33:46 PM »
Ekoneem is brilliant for lipfold dermatitis (stinks though, but my dogs' breeder swears by it!). Details are here:

http://www.thenaturalapproach.co.uk/petpro...m_For_Pets.html

but you can also buy online from petplanet                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!