Author Topic: Boy magnet  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Boy magnet
« on: April 25, 2004, 08:58:53 PM »
Tilly's first season finished over 2 weeks ago and since then she has had two baths.  Despite this she appears to have become a bit of a boy magnet when out on her walks.  Most dogs treat her as normal eg at the dog show yesterday she was fine, just normal doggy greetings from the boys around.  However, several times on our walks recently she has been bothered by dogs who just won't leave her alone.  She lets them sniff her with a resigned and bored expression :roll: , but they are not happy with a sniff and become quite persistent nuisances  :oops: .  She clearly does not like it and once she showed her teeth to a Jack Russell and growled like crazy :evil: (really, really unusual for Tilly the Wimp).  Does Tilly have a problem, or do they?  I keep telling them they are too late, but they ignore me!  Sometimes I have had to pick her up, just to give her some peace (the Jack Russell then proceeded to bounce up and down like he was on a spring!) Could she be excreting "come and get me" signals still?

Her walks are being spoiled by this at the moment, as she clearly doesn't like all the attention :cry: .  Should I let her sort it out herself (although I really don't want her being aggressive to other dogs, whatever the provocation) or do I need to get the vet to take a look?  I would be so grateful if anyone could advise me on this one. What's odd is that not all dogs find her irresistable, just a significant proportion.

Poor Tilly, all that time stuck indoors during her season and then bother when she finally gets out. Poor boys, if she is giving off the wrong signals!!

Has anyone any ideas?

Sue and Tilly                    

Offline PennyB

Boy magnet
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 10:51:57 PM »
Can't help either, but Ruby went through the same things as well after her 1st season. Another thing that seems to attract attention to Ruby still (she was spayed a year ago) is when her anal glands are full                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Boy magnet
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 02:32:24 PM »
Thanks for replying, PennyB.  

Tilly does sometimes have anal gland problems, although there has been no sign of this recently and the attention she has been getting is definitely of a sexual nature :roll: !!  I will get the glands checked out though - poor Tilly, she hates it!  Thanks for the suggestion.

We have just returned from another run in the park where Tilly was pursued by a labX.  I don't think his owner believed me when I said her season finished nearly three weeks ago and she's had two baths since then.  I think we had better walk away from other dogs for a while.

Sue and the rather attractive Tilly                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Boy magnet
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 03:36:13 PM »
Could it be that it's not Tilly that's the problem but over-amorous male dogs not fully under the control of their owners? Jack Russells are renowned for this behaviour sometimes :lol:  Tilly may smell "different" now she's had a first season but if she was really giving off a scent as if she was still in season, you would have had trouble at the show yet all the Cocker boys there were polite to her (better trained than some of the dogs you meet on your walks perhaps :lol:). The difference could be that many show dogs are probably used to living with bitches so don't get over-excited about them unless one is actually in season whereas a lot of pet dogs don't have this "education" :wink: From my experience when out walking our girls (not in season of course), the worst offenders for "rude" canine behaviour are often Labs & Jacks - not sure why this should be but they sure can be a pain :lol:                    
Jane

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Boy magnet
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 04:08:48 PM »
Thanks for that reassurance, Jane.  I had wondered if the boy cockers at the show had a better idea of what was possible and what was not!  They were all lovely and very gentlemanly.  Definitely better trained than most dogs we meet on our walks!

Interesting point about the Jack Russells and labs often being worst offenders for "rude" behaviour.  The little Jack was just a pain, but fairly harmless  :roll: , but the lab looks like he is crossed with a staffie and is a bit scary  :twisted: (well he makes me nervous!).  His owner usually keeps him on his lead and carries a stick which he doesn't use to help him walk, so I dread to think of its purpose  :cry: !  

I think we shall try to walk at a different time to avoid them for a while, just to be on the safe side.                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Boy magnet
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 02:30:17 PM »
Its funny you say that about Jack Russells and Labs. Theres a big lab - not very old that will not leave Phoebe alone when they meet up.

Phoebe is spayed but he just will not leave her private benjamins alone!                    
Anita