Author Topic: Very rapid breathing  (Read 1343 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Very rapid breathing
« on: May 04, 2004, 12:51:34 PM »
I've noticed Indie can do this in the evenings, not after exertion or anything.

Last night he was breathing really really quickly, and his tongue was hanging out a bit too. He hadn't been exercising or running, and was well hydrated. He seems to have this quite often in the evenings, during the day he's fine, and breathes normally, maybe 30 resps a minute, but at night this happens maybe three or four times a week.

Should I be worried? He's been at the vet as recently as last week, and his heart is fine.

Shona :?:                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Very rapid breathing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 02:31:44 PM »
Just a thought but could he be too hot :?   I love the house to be warm but I have also realised that what's comfortable for me is not always comfortable for the dogs - this is just a stab in the dark.  If he's had his heart checked only last week then you've probably got nothing to worry about.  Morgan went though a phase of coughing at one stage and I'd convinced myself it was his heart (as you do  :roll: ) but vet said he was fine and it stopped a few days later, never to return again  :wink:  :roll:  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Very rapid breathing
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 03:01:18 PM »
Yes, that could be it I suppose. I like a cosy bedroom. I hadn't thought of that. I did think it was a heart problem, I'm such a hypochondriac with him, not a week goes by but he's in liver failure, heart failure, having seizures (puppy dreams) or dehydration! :roll:

thanks

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Very rapid breathing
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 03:10:29 PM »
Ohh Shona you sound so like me!!  Nighttime reading is the Doglopaedia  :roll:   If they sleep for too long without moving I'm checking that they're still breathing  :oops:  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline paul the decorator

• Site Member
Very rapid breathing
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 06:59:34 PM »
Hi,

Smudgie was doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

He did not seem to need water and I put it down to the fact that he was just too hot.

I had him clipped to what I call his summer cut and got rid of all of his winter hair and dead hair.
 What a difference , no ,ore panting and he seems to settle down and sleep easier as well.
It may be worth s try.

Plus it made him look like a young puppy again.

good luck ,

Paul and Smudge                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Very rapid breathing
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 11:45:23 PM »
Chloe and Holly do this rapid breathing too when they are hot.  Trouble is, after I have them clipped, they both sit on the settee and shiver as if it is the depths of winter. :?   Can't win with spaniels :D                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe