Author Topic: How to remove a tick  (Read 54412 times)

Online Joules

• Administrator
How to remove a tick
« on: May 07, 2009, 07:15:34 PM »
As this is a question that comes up very frequently, here is a link to the O'Tom website which tells you more than you ever wanted to know about ticks and how to get rid of them.  >:(

http://www.otom.com/otom-tick-twister-instructions

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick
Julie and Watson

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: How to remove a tick
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:23:52 PM »
Mods, since we are now in tick season perhaps it might be worth having this as a sticky??

Great idea and thanks for that Julie, I removed two from two different dogs today.  >:(

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »
That is totally gross, but having never come accross these disgusting critters before, I made myself watch the whole video (through my fingers)

I do now feel that I could if I needed to remove one. However, I have just warned both doglets that it'll be more than their lifes worth to bring one into the house!!! >:( (bet Lilly does it just anyhoo  ::) )

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »
Yes, it is gross  :o  Best to be prepared though and so many people still think you should kill the tick while it is attached which can have nasty results.  I have removed several from my animals in the last couple of weeks and my sister inadvertantly removed one from herself and has since had suspected Lymes disease which is very unpleasant  >:(  However, once you get over the yuk factor, removing one of the little blighters can be very satisfying  ph34r
Julie and Watson

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »
I'm amazed that so many dog owners have never had to deal with them :huh: in the summer i remove probably one a day on average, some walks Jarvis ends up with loads. >:( Even Lucy who doesn't go anywhere gets a few every year. ::)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »
I'm amazed that so many dog owners have never had to deal with them :huh: in the summer i remove probably one a day on average, some walks Jarvis ends up with loads. >:( Even Lucy who doesn't go anywhere gets a few every year. ::)

Never seen one yet Beth but have a remover just incase for OH to use. I'm too squeamish  ::)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:47:04 PM »

Never seen one yet Beth but have a remover just incase for OH to use. I'm too squeamish  ::)

I'm adept - 2 or 3 a day off Jarv at the moment - just give me a yell and I will squeeze into a leotard and fly up armed with an O-Tom...just call me the T(ick)erminator  ph34r :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:48:51 PM »

I'm adept - 2 or 3 a day off Jarv at the moment - just give me a yell and I will squeeze into a leotard and fly up armed with an O-Tom...just call me the T(ick)erminator  ph34r :lol2:

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:   What an image you've created in my head

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »
I even get them before they have attached  :P

Millie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »

I know - hope you've had your dinner :020:  :shades:

Sarah so do I - my OH is incredulous that I can see little brown ticks on a little brown dog before they attach  ::)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

I know - hope you've had your dinner :020:  :shades:

Sarah so do I - my OH is incredulous that I can see little brown ticks on a little brown dog before they attach  ::)

I find those ones on Jarvis too, tis usually the teeny baby ones. >:D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »
I think it is worse down your way Beth.  Coco had her first (and only so far) tick a few weeks ago  >:(  My cat Tigger had a couple last week which I discovered when he snuggled up to me in bed in the middle of the night  ::) >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:32:06 PM »

Only ever had 2 on Lola (it would be her ::) ) one fell off before i had time to do it and she had one on her eyebrow....it still grosses me out to remove them  ph34r they are just minging  ph34r
Never had one on Biba...she must have bad blood  :005:

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
I have never seen one , how will i know if i come accross one  ph34r . Im off to buy an o-tom now just incase !!

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:17 PM »
Also i have horses etc and still never come accross one , if they had, had one and i hadnt noticed what happens then ? Would they just fall out after a certain amount of time  :huh: