Author Topic: Unwell Cocker Female  (Read 9117 times)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Unwell Cocker Female
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »
Hi Michael
I'm sorry you're having a
difficult time with Maisie :luv:
I have had a dog with epilepsy
before so I know how you feel!
It's really not nice to see them
fitting :016:I hope you can get
some forward progress with her.
Sending you positive vibes from
Yorkshire.....
lots of love
steff ,mr steff and Elliexxx

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »
Just caught this topic - oh michael i really hop that you get to the bottom of this as soon as possible - it must have been frightening and heartbreaking for you all to watch Maisie go through this.....

Please keep us updated with her progress, I really hope that you are being seen today and i send lots of Positive and loving thoughts and prayeers to Maisie

:luv: and  :bigarmhug:

Charlene and Diesel
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline maddycakes

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
so sorry to read about maisie, my last cocker started with epilepsy and was tested for liver shunt which was normal.  She had idiopathic epilepsy.

It is so hard to watch a dog fit but the best thing you can do is leave her alone and wait for it to end, it may seem to last an age but usual they are only a couple of minutes.  If she is fiting where she may cause more damage to herself then move her to a safer place, please be aware that when she comes round she may show signs of aggression as the poor thing wont know what has just happened to her (this happened to my girl but only the once). When she starts a fit try to make sure the area is dark, turn lights off and tv and so its not stimulating the brain more, also keep calm as possible (easy said than done i know)

If you need any more info you can pm me. I'm praying its not liver shunt for the little one and also its a one off fit. 

Lived with epilepsy for fours years so know how you will be feeling.

healing thoughts for maisie.

Offline wendyt

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »
Michael I'm so sorry to hear of the problems you are having with Maisie at the moment :luv:

It's bad enough for you to have one problem to deal with, without having fitting to contend with. My old CKCS Chester has suffered from epilepsy for 7 years and I'll never forget the very first one he had it was awful to watch. The vet I saw straight after said that it's worse for us to have to watch than it is for the dog. I've never gotten used to seeing him have a fit but thankfully he has been on treatment for the last few years and we have only had a few breakthrough fits since. Maddycakes has given some great info on how to deal with the situation should she ever have another one.

I really hope that you can get her scan brought forward so that you can get some answers as to what is wrong. Sending you positive thoughts and massive  :bigarmhug: to you all.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »
Only just seen this thread, hope you get the scan and results through soon and treatment can begin. Take Care
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
I dont have any advice to help you but I wanted to send lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and  :luv: to you both

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
Lots of hugs for you all.  Must be awful.  My Mum had an Italian Greyhound who suffered with mild epilepsy most of her life and the advice given here is just perfect.  She lived to be 14 years old and was a happy little soul if that helps   :D
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »
So sorry to hear about this worrying time. I hope she can be diagnosed and treated effectively very soon.

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
We are so sorry to hear that Maisie suffered a fit, it must have been so distressing for her and you.

Sorry, we have no advise to give but out thoughts and prayers are with Maisie and you as a family

:bigarmhug:  :bigarmhug:

Love,
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »
So sorry to hear the awful news about the fit.  Poor little girl and poor you for having to witness something so awful.  I hope you can soon get an accurate diagnosis and the correct treatment which will put things as right as is possible for her.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 07:21:46 PM »
Very sorry to hear about everything that you are all going through.  Hopefully you can get some definite answers soon  :bigarmhug:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
Sending big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you.

Hope you get a diagnosis quickly so that her treatment can start soon and that the prognosis won't be as bad as you fear  :luv:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Manster62

• Dylan and Daisy
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2011, 12:39:50 PM »
Sending love and prayers - hope the future holds more positive news.
Dylan - b: January 2010  and  Daisy - b: March 2011
RIP Meggie - b: February 1997  - d: December 2009

Offline Malvern Michael

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »
Thanks again for all your kind thoughts.

We have not been able to bring the second scan forward so it is still Tuesday but the vet has changed Maisie's medication and diet as if she has a liver shunt and will review it Tuesday once it is confirmed or not.

Maisie seems to respond well to the new diet and medication so hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Some days you would not think there is anything wrong with her she is so full of life.

Having read a great deal about liver shunt I do think all dog owners should be aware of it as the symptoms range so widely that a dog with liver shunt if not diagnosed could be suffering through lack of correct diagnosis.

Thanks again
Michael
Michael

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »
Hope everything goes ok for Maisie on Tuesday Michael  :luv: :luv: it's awful to see them fitting but you just have to let them ride it out  :luv: my friends cocker macy has just started with epilepsy and she had a fit when I took her out for a walk it was horrible to watch but there's nothing you can do. Any way fingers and paws crossed here for you all and hope that things go ok big  :bigarmhug: to you and your OH and little cocker  :-* :-* :-* for Maisie from Phoebe and Mia x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x