Author Topic: Poppy has broken her tail  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
Poppy has broken her tail
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »
I came home yesterday to find that Pop's tail was not looking right at all...rushed to the vet and they said that it was either broken or maybe had an infection and she needed to go in today for an x ray.

The vet has called and she has indeed broken it from the 5th joint up from the tip and the safest thing to do is to remove it as it would be practically impossible to get it heal  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I am gutted to say the least and can't for the life of me work out how she did it. :'( :'(

Please send some special COL love to my baby for Friday  :luv: :luv:

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Poppy has broken her tail
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
Awww Hun how awful for little Poppy and for you  :luv: :luv: me Phoebe and Mia are sending loads of COL love and great big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: 's and little cocker  :-* :-* :-* :-* to you both x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »
Oh no!  How awful for her  :'(  Sending her healing wishes for Friday, hope all goes smoothly.  Odie had 2/3 joints docked when he was a tiny pupster due to littermate damage and he's absolutely fine.  Still could win the waggiest tail :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »
Ow that sounds painful :016:
Poor Poppy!
Try not to worry too much about
her op.(easier said than done)
We had to have The Generals tail
amputated as he damaged the tip
and it wouldn't heal-up; he was a much
happier doggy when it had gone and
it didn't make a bit of difference to
how he moved etc.
Only took a short while for me
to get used to it too :blink:
Gentle squeezes for Pops :luv:
for usxxx

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
Crikey Jen ...really didn't think it was going to be broken  :fear2: 
I was keeping paws crossed for an infection that could be treated with AB's & soon mended  :'(
Can understand vets decision to amputate though ..... with Poppys tail moving as fast as it does, it really wouldn't get the chance to heal would it  :-\
Lots of gentle hugs & kisses for Pops & will be thinking of her on Friday & sending as many good like vibes as we can  :bigarmhug:   :-* :bigarmhug:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline karen488

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
Aww. Can guess how you're feeling.  :'( am sure it will all be OK in the end.  :bigarmhug:

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »
oh no poor little love hope all goes well on friaday sending big hugs

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
Poor Poppy :'(

Sending lots of positive thought for Friday and for a very quick recovery after the op. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »
Aww, poor wee Poppy! We had a similar experience with Jonny the springer a few years ago. He got over the operation really well, but keeping the bandage on to protect his tail was a nightmare! We had ro resort to the dreaded lampshade and I don't think my shins ever recovered!

When I was in my local pet shop last week I noticed a thing like one of those blow-up neck pillows you get for travelling, which was an alterbative to the lampshade collar. It looked much kinder all round. Might be worth exploring if it comes to that.

I hope all goes well with your fur-baby's tail. She'll have a much faster wag when it's all over!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that Poppy has broken her waggy tail :'(
Good luck for Friday, and for a speedy recovery ;)
Auntie Lil says, 'she will look just like me now'   :bigarmhug:

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
poor poppy lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: sent for you and Poppy.
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
Awww Jen - I'm sorry to hear its broken  :'(  Like Lindsey I was hoping it was an infection... :-\ 
Gentle squidges for cus Poppy from me and the Magster.  Will be thinking of her (and you & Martin) on Friday and sending lots of positive thoughts for your gorgeous waggy girl  :luv:  Bet she will still give the best kisses straight after it!  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Lots of  :bigarmhug: and  :luv:
xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »
are poor poppy big hugs from us to you

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
Awww poor poppy.... My gypsy did the same thing when she was just 10 weeks old, we tried to splint it and wrap it as because she was so young we were hoping that we could 'mend' it and encourage it to grow straight, unfortunately after a couple of weeks doing this the tail became painful where the break was, we took her to the vets again who confirmed that the bone was starting to push through the skin at the break and that the tail would have to be amputated. We asked them to save as much of the tail as possible and now she is fully grow it is probably about 3-4 inches shorter than my other cockers.

I totally understand your devastation, I was beside myself with guilt, even though we have no idea how she did it, mixed in with panic and worry about my then 12 week old pup have an anaesthetic and painful op.

When we collected her they had placed a plastic tube around the tail and thick padded bandages over that, we went back after a week for removal of dressings and the tail had healed quite well although was a little guey so vet said best to leave it open for the air to dry it out, which we did. The most heartbreaking thing was that for a couple of days everytime she wagged her little tail it hurt and she would yelp and run away from whatever was making her happy enough to wag her tail. She was so confused about why happy things hurt and I felt powerless to help.

However there was light at the end of my long tale ( pardon the pun) when it did heal after a few days she was fine, and she is still the most beautiful cocker I have ever seen, everywhere she goes we get stopped to admire her. She has a beautiful long coat and gorgeous shape and pretty face that no- one ever notices her tail till I tell them.

She's now 15 months and to us her tail is part of who she is and what she's been through in her life and I wouldn't have her any other way.  :luv:

Lots of love and positive thoughts to you and your baby from Lucy and the naughty cockers Ebony, Gypsy and Gracie bear xxxxx

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 03:04:45 PM »
Poor Poppy, what a horrid thing to have happened  :'( :'( I hope the little girl soon feels much better, it must be so painful for her at the moment.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope