Author Topic: Paper shredding advice  (Read 661 times)

Offline BJ's Mommy

Paper shredding advice
« on: August 05, 2014, 08:57:40 AM »
Hi

So our Bella & Bailey are 14 weeks old today.  ;)

We're no longer using newspaper in the house during the day because of them ripping it to pieces. But we do still use it in their 'toilet' area of the pen at night.

They have a crate for bed and the door is open into a small pen that is covered in the newspaper.

They use it for wees but they rip the paper. I'm worried they are eating the paper.
I get up at 2am and 5am to let them out (which they oblige by doing a poo) but they still have the odd wee wee.

I have tried puppy pads but they rip those aswell.  >:D

Pleeeeease advice can I use something else or leave the paper down ?

Also is it normal for them to poo at 2 and 5 am before having food ?

Thanks.  :D
Nicki
Bella & Bailey : Born 29/4/2014

Remembering my beautiful Golden Retriever 'Benji'
17/1/01 - 4/8/13. Now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Paper shredding advice
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
You could buy an off cut of Lino that is just bigger than the pen and use that. Easy to clean and no ripping. No advice re the pooing I'm afraid. I never got up for any of mine at night but I'm sure someone will be along to advise.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
Minstrel slept by my bed (sometime on  ;) ) when he was that age, so I used to wake up and take him outside when he cried (luckily it was summer - so no chilly wotnots  :005: )

The poops they do in the early morning are the result of the meal of the night before, so  until they can hold on all night, they will want to go out early mornings. I didn't go to bed till about 1ish when mine were tinies, and I had a puppy pen in the garden so I could carry them to that.(very close to the back door to start with) I did have newspaper down for any oops moments indoors and lucky enough Minstrel was not a destructive pup. Have never used pads, newspapers were freebies from friends and neighbours and did the job just as well  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »
My fella is 6 now but he used to occasionally mess his grate and the ripping frenzy was his thing, I had a couple of old bath mats that I had under the paper and would throw in the wash, after removing any nasties.

Not wanting to advertise but one of the wellknown German super markets have some doggy mats on sale this Thursday which are Scape and Soak mats  at £4.99 might be ideal for using in grate! Plus there is a black spaniel sitting on the mat :lol2:

Might work and solve the ripping paper
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Catie74

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »
Paper shredding advice?  well I'm afraid all I can say is if there is paper to be shredded, Archie will oblige.......he is 4 yrs old.  Sorry.  (little monkey)

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 08:04:32 AM »
Paper is crinkly, rips and is fun for a Cocker to shred. We did the same as you and Fudge just trashed it every time it was in his den or on the floor.  We just took the hit although he caught on to the toiletting pretty well therefore he didn't need it.

I would use an old bit of Lino - if you don't have any try a carpet shop, they may give you an off cut to save you buying it.

Dave
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »
I used a blue sort of plastic tarpaulin material from Wickes. It was used to cover gardens or driveways. I put it in our hallway to allow for accidents and the stair landings.

I used to take him out every few hours. Now in an emergency aged 4 then he will ask to go out rarely in the night. I don't talk to him and try to turn lights off as we go. Then when we come in I say n-nights and he goes back to bed! Usually he's asleep quicker than me!

Good luck. Could you put the crate open in a hall and cover the rest with plastic of some sort. Then if he's worried he could sleep in the hall?