Author Topic: Finally-A day with no tears!  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
Finally-A day with no tears!
« on: March 31, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »
Yesterday was a good puppy day....at last. Cockerdile Bonnie was still quite bitey and aggressive on a few occasions but we keep leaving the room for time outs and she now sits and waits for us to go back in. We've had 5 continuous days of no mess in the house, whines at back door to go out now and she will sit for us really nicely (with treats in hand). Just to top it off, last night she wanted cuddles and refused to mouth my hand when I offered it her-she just licked it and we sat together for a good hour. After 2weeks of tears every day from me, I actually had a glimpse at how wonderful she IS going to be. I know that bad days will continue because she's a baby but I just thought I'd post this to remind all the other stressed out new 'parents' that these good days are going to happen too....occasionally.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Finally-A day with no tears!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
That's great news, sounds like your doing very well with the training :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
That's great - eventually you will get to the point where there are more good days than bad :D  Just remember this post when you are having another difficult puppy day  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline craigyp

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »
Thats great, im sure she will be fine and turn into a wonderful wee cocker.
How old is Bonnie? Our Harry is 11 weeks and gets a bit bitey and growly at times especially when playing, gets really excited but is starting to take a telling. He is so good most of the time. Our last Cocker, Molly, was the same if i remember correctly but it was so long ago i cant remember how long it lasts.
Our toilet training is getting better too, we just keep taking him out for a wee every hour or so, problem is he just wants to play then comes in and wees in the house. Crys at the door when he needs a poo though, which is nice.
Its all good fun and its all worth while. Probably look back in a years time and wonder what the fuss was all about.

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
Yes we are trying really hard with training-bought books on cockers before we got her and researched the breed. Its a start but it still doesn't prepare you for the reality. Thanks for the encouragement and I will be sticking with this forum throughout-its a godsend already. We've been looking at it from day one but only joined and started posting recently. Thank you :luv:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 02:22:55 PM »
That's lovely to hear :luv:

I'm sure you'll still have bad days, but they'll gradually be overtaken by the good ones as Bonnie learns that being nice is a lot more rewarding than being a Cockerdile.

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »
Bonnie is 9 weeks and 5 days. She's a black with blue roan chest working strain cocker and she is beautiful, of course. I'll get round to a photo soon but I've never had the time yet. Haha  :005:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
Great to read this - amazing how such a small thing can cause so much trouble and upset, isn't it! But all that hard work pays off in the end :luv:

As you mentioned books... I'd really recommend the Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson - not strictly a training book per se, but a must read for all dog owners :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »
I remember those puppy days very well & as Amber was our very first dog we didn't realise puppies could be such little monsters, I spent many months in tears wondering what we had taken on, we even considered rehoming her quite a few times it was that bad, but in time she got better & better & we realised many of the things she was doing she was stopping.now she is a lovely dog , she is three & a half now & we can't believe we even thought about rehoming her, just hang in there it will be worth it in the end.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »
Ah....sounds like you are beginning to enjoy the good side.

Puppy days are the hardest.  There is always so much adapting to do to accommodate them, and so much they have to learn too.

I couldn't be without one (or two or three) in my house.  :luv: :005: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
I remember those weeny puppy days well!!!!  :luv: :luv:
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »
Glad you have had a good day.  Ben is now 10 and I can still remember sitting in tears for the first couple of months thinking 'what have we done', or alternatively 'I am the worst puppy owner ever'  ph34r
But it was so worth while and the best thing we ever did getting a puppy.  Don't forget to read the thread on the general board about feelings getting stronger for your dog to remind yourself that soon you will be head over heels in love and you will be consoling new puppy owners on here as they get fraught  :005:

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »
Oh dear I spoke to soon. 3 wees in the house and really aggressive behaviour today. She really growls and bites hard if you try to take things off her. We've had more time outs today than ever and when we go back to her she pounces on our feet and bites hard or jumps and snaps at our faces-please advise what we can do. No cuddles wanted either today! :huh:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:20 AM »
Deep breaths :D. I promise, although it may seem aggressive, it's not - your pup just doesn't know how to act around you yet, and doesn't have either the restraint or self control not to bite/growl. It can be a slow process (weeks, even months) so just hang in there.

If she bites and snaps at your face, either stand up or turn around, fold your arms and ignore her. She will learn (slowly!) that biting etc = no attention. If she keeps it up then leave the room - or give her a short time out. A house line is good for this, so you can gently lead her away rather than pick her up (which could give her more opportunity to bite).

You can also redirect her attention to a toy. Keep some of her favourite toys back from her so she doesn't have access to them all the time, that will stop her getting bored of them and more likely to play with them.

Do you do any training? It's never too early to start, short little sessions (literally minutes at a time) that will help tire her out. Clicker training is great. Also give her food in kongs or treat balls (or little cardboard boxes - pups are always happiest when they are ripping things up :P).

Don't worry about the cuddles - I couldn't even clap Brodie for the first few months without her latching onto me!

The toilet training will come too, but again it will take time as she only has a very tiny bladder. Take her out after every nap or playtime, and after every meal and drink.

Hope that helps, in a few months you will look at her and wonder how she could have caused so much trouble :005:. Take plenty of photos too, I was so stressed out that I didn't get as much as I wish I had, which I regret now. She will get there ;)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:23:35 AM »
Thanks Jennybee. I've not taken many photos either and she's growing so fast. We are doing all the things you've suggested so I know its a case of good day, bad day. I'm trying to be persistent but we have honestly spent more time out of the room than in today and she just kept on. The weeing was expected because we're not expecting her to be trained at 9weeks old but its disheartening when we'd had 5 dry days. Tomorrow is another day and thank you for your encouragement-i would definitely be at my wits end without this forum and all the experienced posters.