Author Topic: Finally-A day with no tears!  (Read 2856 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Finally-A day with no tears!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »
I knew from the other thread that you are already doing everything right, but thought it would help to post anyway. It's so hard when they are like that to know you are doing the right thing :P. I definitely recommend that book I mentioned earlier - it goes through how dogs minds work, and I really wish I'd read it a lot sooner than I had.

I now have literally thousands of photos of Brodie, so I am making up for the few I took during her puppyhood :lol2:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
I feel for you I really do.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

When we got Willow she was like a whirlwind. I never estimated just how much hard work she would be. Its mine and my OH's first dog together and boy was it a learning curve.

Willows puppy biting, I felt was out of control and one day she dived at my OH's face and he came running into the bathroom face in hand telling me he was going to have to go to A and E. Of course he didnt and we can laugh about it now but a the time its emotionally draining. I cried most days and one day when my OH came home from work I questioned him as to whether we had done the right thing in having her.  :-\

We used a house line as mentioned above and it was great, every time she got out of control we led her out into the hall way and left her there for a few minutes, only allowing her back in when she was quiet. Initially we would lead her out and when we let her back in she seemed to do it again so back out we would go,often up to about 8 times, but they are smart dogs and a few days in she got it. Willow seemed more nippy when she was tired/over tired. When I realised this, when she had calmed a little I would pop her in her crate to sleep and recharge her batteries.

When they do get bitey its always good to have something they can chew on to distract them with.  ;)

As mentioned above clicker training is fab, Willow is a working strain dog and I found that tiring her out mentally was far batter than tiring her out physically. I would do it at a guess 6 to 8 times a day but only for a few minutes at a time  ;)

On the whole when reading above it seems like she is doing so well in other areas so far. Well done. Keep up the good work. In a few months you will look back and this will all be a distance memory, honest  ;)

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »
Thank you so much for all the encouragement. We are doing all the things as advised except clicker training and the house line. I know I'm asking a lot of questions but could you explain what the house line is and what we need to do with it? I will research the clicker too. I'm about to download the eBook of Culture Clash as recommended by Jennybee too....I'm determined but exhausted!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
No probs re the questions, you want to see how many times I was posting when we first got Willow....  :005: :005:

This is a house line

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clix-Puppy-House-Line/dp/B003PNRW32/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1364807404&sr=8-9

Its like a lead but without the loop at the end, you can leave it on your pup when you know they might be up to mischief. We used it most when we had company....When she presented any un wanted behaviour eg nipping, I would say, 'Ah ah' pick up the end of the lead, no other verbal interaction or physical interaction and take her into the hall way and leave her there for a few minutes.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 10:21:10 AM »
Try this link below for the introduction of clicker training. Top Barks is a trainer and is a member on here...

With the videos look for Alfie and clicker training although all the vids are worth a watch.

http://www.topbarksfordogs.co.uk/videos.html

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
Thank you-I've ordered both the house line and the clicker and can research while I'm waiting for delivery. It really is all-consuming isn't it? We lost our dog Callie in November last year, she was 16 and had dementia and 3 strokes in her last few months. It was a tough few months but Bonnie is far harder work than any of that and we've only had her 2 weeks and 3 days!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
Awww it really sounds like you have had a tough time of it with losing Callie and then having Bonnie as a pup, I really feel for you. Sending you lots of these  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Willow is only two but I guess even in that short space of time its easy to forget how nippy and seeking out mischief they are in general  :005: I can laugh about it now but at the time I sat and cried.... She resembled the Devil himself in a fluffy cute exterior  :005:

I have a few friends with puppies at the moment and its easy to forget how much hard work they involve with you not being able to take your eyes off them for a second. Once she has outgrown the puppy naughtiness she will be an amazing dog I promise you, cockers are fab  ;)

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »
Just wanted to add: it must all be worth it, as we got Molly 18 months ago and have just got our second pup Finley, who is 10 weeks.  He's doing all the things that Bonnie is but with patience and consistency I know we'll get there  :D
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »

Willows puppy biting, I felt was out of control and one day she dived at my OH's face and he came running into the bathroom face in hand telling me he was going to have to go to A and E.

Sorry Maddy I had to laugh at this!  Jinley did exactly the same thing when my OH was playing with her at the time when she would launch herself and grab anything she could.  She caught his nostril and he came upstairs to the bedroom where I was (passing 2 bathrooms where he could get some loo roll from) holding his nose so he could have a look in a mirror!  The fuss he made, I thought he was going to need plastic surgery!!   :shades: :shades:  I offered to put an earring in it, but I doubt I could have fitted one through  :005: :005:  Within a few minutes there was hardly a mark!!

Men do make a fuss dont they?

Offline Redked

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »
To abkb-the thought of a second pup has just made me laugh! Never ever having another ever again. Bet you've all said that. BTW this morning I've boiled some chicken and discovered Bonnie is an angel in disguise when I have even the tiniest morsel in my hand :005:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »

Willows puppy biting, I felt was out of control and one day she dived at my OH's face and he came running into the bathroom face in hand telling me he was going to have to go to A and E.

Sorry Maddy I had to laugh at this!  Jinley did exactly the same thing when my OH was playing with her at the time when she would launch herself and grab anything she could.  She caught his nostril and he came upstairs to the bedroom where I was (passing 2 bathrooms where he could get some loo roll from) holding his nose so he could have a look in a mirror!  The fuss he made, I thought he was going to need plastic surgery!!   :shades: :shades:  I offered to put an earring in it, but I doubt I could have fitted one through  :005: :005:  Within a few minutes there was hardly a mark!!

:rofl1: :rofl1: When it happened I was expecting at least half of his face to be hanging off the fuss he made, there was a lot of blood but it wasnt half as bad as he made out.... I think he was playing rough with her at the time so I say he got what he deserved  :005: :005:

Men do make a fuss dont they?

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »
Well Brodie is now five and I still feel faint at the thought of having another puppy - think she's put me off them for life :005:.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »
To abkb-the thought of a second pup has just made me laugh! Never ever having another ever again. Bet you've all said that. BTW this morning I've boiled some chicken and discovered Bonnie is an angel in disguise when I have even the tiniest morsel in my hand :005:

Oh yes, many a time with Molly I said never again, and I lost count of how many times she was going back to the breeder! But she is amazing now, and with Finley yes it's hard but it will pass! The main thing is to stay calm  :D
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline JulieM

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
It does get easier...day by day, sometimes you don't notice the difference until you suddenly realise that you haven't had to fetch a pair of your knickers out of a hole in the garden for a while or your legs feel light because you haven't got a puppy attached to the bottom of your trousers as you walk  :005:...

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »
I was there only 8 weeks ago, and the difference in Daisy is quite amazing... We are staying with Friends at the mo and she has been very well behaved...and no overnight accidents for 3 days on the trot! Result!!

I was as frustrated as your few weeks ago, and we are now really enjoying the puppy ness! Hang in there!!  :)