Author Topic: Finally-A day with no tears!  (Read 2854 times)

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
Re: Finally-A day with no tears!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
Cassie is four and I've lost count of how many times my H said " back to the dog shop!"  I feel for you I really do !!! Been there and got the T shirt.
IT WILL GET BETTER just hang in there and have faith LOL !!

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »
Just to update and say thanks for all the support - a bit better today. I swear (though I have never heard of this before and please correct me if I'm just imagining it) that Bonnie's first day back on the Pedigree Chum Puppy food last night made her hyperactive! She's not been great today but she hasn't been a total hyper monster and I've refused to give it her today because her behaviour changed after her evening feed last night. Has anyone heard of this reaction before or am I just looking for excuses for normal puppy behaviour?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »
I doubt you are going mad. Pedigree chum has lots of additives, any of which could affect Bonnies behaviour. I know that Archie's behaviour is really affected if he eats turkey - he becomes unbearably hyper. There are lots of threads about foods here and this website is very helpful http://whichdogfood.co.uk/ I would definitely look at changing to something different.
If you look back through my posts you will see that I was in exactly the same boat as you. Archie was the puppy from hell. You are doing all the right things and with perseverance and consistency you will get there. I still use a house line with Archie when I have visitors round. They are brilliant. I also installed a baby gate at the doorway to the lounge. When he was being a hideous cockerdile I would quietly lead him out and shut the gate. I sat ignoring him until he was calm and then let him back in. Him being able to see me sitting quietly seemed to help him understand what was expected of him.
Even at one and a half he is still very hard work at times but it is all worth it. Never having another puppy though!!  ;)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »
cant help you your pedigree chum question.
 But wanted to say, its good to know that most people have been though the "god, what have we done"  stage with their pups. also that we all survived it and then put ourselves through it again and again and again. Because after the tears,frustration and downers :badmood: ,our prize is a most loyal companion, best buddie and confidant

Hang on in there, your reward within reach

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
I would definitely look into changing the Pedigree Chum - it is full of fillers and additives and I wouldn't be surprised if it is affecting Bonnie's behaviour. That link Archie Bean posted is great for browsing the different foods out there :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
To update on the food issues-Bonnie has been a different dog since stopping the chum! She's still a rascal but nowhere near as hyper and biting is decreasing rapidly-not altogether but I can see a vast improvement. Is it worth warning new owners or would this not be allowed as its only my opinion? Also wanted to say that I'm half way through Culture Clash, as recommended by Jennybee and I've discovered Bonnie's primary reinforcer is chicken. It's a joy to see snappy cockerdile change into angelic puppy for a piece of chicken. I think I'm starting to have hope  :happydance: :happydance:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07:54 PM »
Glad the change of food has helped.  It is well known that low quality foods with high levels of additives can affect behaviour (like children living on processed foods full of E numbers).   ;) Coco has always had a pretty natural diet and she has not been an easy pup/adult by any means - I dread to think what she would be like on additives!  :o :005:

If new owners ask about feeding on here, they are always pointed in the direction of some of the better quality/more natural foods.  Some dogs actually thrive on Chum or other similar dog foods - in the end it is down to personal choice and what suits each dog.  Tends to be trial and error for most of us as it takes a while to find the food that suits our dog best ;) 
Julie and Watson

Offline Lovely

Finally a day without tears
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 07:05:13 AM »
Just wanted to add that once you can take her out on walks things should also improve as all the new experiences will help tire her out and also you will enjoy watching her out and about. I think waiting for the 12 week moment when you can take them out is the hardest bit. You're really doing all the right things and it can be hard at times to love a puppy that seems to want to do everything possible to frustrate you, they are just so full of all sorts of hormones at this stage it must be quite scary for them too! I can't imagine what it must feel like to be growing fast, teething,  trying not to wee/poo and learn what you can or can't bite all at the same time. Keep it up x
Ali