Author Topic: Think Poppy has hit adolescence!  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Issy

• Donator
Think Poppy has hit adolescence!
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
Hi All,  I think Poppy has hit adolescence  >:D . My georgeous, clingy ( apart from when she has stolen something. Lol) cuddly puppy has morphed into a little whirlwind of barely controlled energy with the concentration span of a gnat when out on walks :005:.  She started to loose concentration three or four weeks ago when out on walks and on advice of the dog trainer who runs the group I take her to, she now gets her breakfast out on her main walk in the morning and that has improved things considerably and on a plus side because we are feeding her on the walk our older dog gets his at the same time ( no mean feet juggling two bags of different kibble I can tell you  :005:) and it has improved his recall no end. In fact now the main problem is trying not to fall over the springer wrapped round my legs making sure he doesn’t miss out  :005:  She is still the same cuddly chilled out little person in the house which makes the walks less of a problem.
We didn’t get a teenage rebellion with Smudge as I had a rather domineering old terrier when he was little who I think stamped on any bad behaviour on my behalf so would really like some words of wisdom from those who have been through this.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Think Poppy has hit adolescence!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »
Typical Cocker I'm afraid  :luv:

The last word Bea ever learnt was NO and even now I'm not sure she totally gets it  :005:

Be consistent with everything you do, only train when you have time as there is nothing worse then adding stress into the situation due to time constraints, up your game with the treats if you can , Bea will do anything for Cheese!

Go back to basics, I know it can be very frustrating but trust me the Cocker you always dreamed of having is in there.

When I called Bea's breeder to update her on her antics the response was " she sounds just like her Mum" that gave me hope as Florence was a beautiful, calm , obedient Cocker and Bea IS like her mum she just has her own opinions on wether I'm right or not :005:

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
Thank you it’s.sme, that’s just what I wanted to hear. We do love her dearly and I remind myself of that repeatedly under my breath when she is testing her limits  :005:.  Luckily I usually have Smudge with me so when she is completely ignoring me ( I only call her once), I turn my back on her and he gets my undivided attention playing a really exciting game and after a few seconds we have Poppy trying to join in. Smudge is very easily bought with food  ;). If I don’t have him I take a lure on a rope with me that only gets played with on special occasions that has the same effect!
 I will try and vary a bit the bribery used as well and of course persevere with the training.

Offline Digger

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
Hiya.
I'm no expert on anything dog wise but I just thought I'd mention that I was told never to feed a dog before exercise. Apparently they can get twisted gut which can be fatal so you should give it 2 hrs after a meal before they run around. ( a few training treats is ok - just not a whole meal). You may want to verify that but thought I'd share it. I always walk first, with a few treats for good behaviour, then she gets her dinner after the foot check and ear deburring when we get back. :D

How old is yours? Mine has just turned 12 months and did have a couple of bog off incidents along the way. When she did, I just avoided that area for a couple of weeks so she didn't make a habit of it. That seemed to at least prevent her from practicing!! :005:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »
I feed Henry about half his breakfast as we walk, as rewards for particular behaviours. A lot of trainers do this too. Unless you are carrying a big heavy meal with you, it shouldn’t cause any torsion or other issues. I agree that I wouldn’t exercise a dog immediately after he’d scarfed a full bowl. But drip feeding morsels is fine. Also, walking a hungry dog when you have high value treats on you is a great way to keep their attention!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »
Thank you both for your replies. I should have explained better. They don’t get all their breakfast on the walk but it’s easier for me to measure out the full amount into bags for each of them and then when we get back from the walk they have the remainder in their bowls. I guess it is up to half they have out.  I have found her much more attentive hungry.
I used to feed them and then walk them after an hour. Not sure why we started doing that but we have for all our dogs and they have always been ok but it does make more sense to feed afterwards.
Anyway she was angelic on the walk this morning but I have just found her the wrong side of the puppy proof fencing keeping her off the garden, pointing  out the weak spots in the defences for me.  Aren’t they helpful  :005: