Author Topic: new puppy  (Read 2496 times)

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
new puppy
« on: July 29, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »
Hello, looking for your  help and advice, having lost my lovely girl Bracken 2 years ago we have now jumped into the world of cockers again and we will be picking up our new puppy in two weeks time.

My question is that I am unsure about travelling with pup when we go to pick her up.  is it ok to have her on my lap or does she need to be restrained,   when we picked up  our previous two cockers I just held them on my lap but each journey then lasted no longer than 30 -45 min.  this journey with our new precious cargo will be about 3 hours and involve motorway travel

we have a saloon car so a crate is not an option for the car, for our previous cockers we used a car harness, but of course when this was being used they had settled and had got used to wearing a harness,   I am unsure that  this would be suitable for a first journey with the pup.

having looked into safety in the car with your dogs I am horrified and bemused at what is out there which  has no safety certificates,

so I would really welcome your comments and thoughts

thanks

Maria

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: new puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
When I brought Dylan home our journey was nearly three hours, and on some motorway. We collected'him around midday, and the breeder had played with him to tire him out, and fed him, so he was very sleepy. I put some plastic across my knees, and held him on my lap on dog bedding, and he slept most of the way home. Did a little wee, hence the plastic  :005: . He was fine, and it's faiRly easy  to hold onto a little pup.

Bet you can't wait!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 02:23:08 PM »
thanks for the reply Finvarra, our  journey will echo pretty much as yours I think, getting to breeder about early afternoon and then a three hour trip, I think I just needed reassurance that it would be ok to hold onto pup without restraining, so thank you

looking at harnesses  there seems to  be a multitude of harnesses, do any of you have any recommendations?

puppy day is 14th August, and no I can't wait  busy making lists and checking I have everything needed,  including wine and chocolate ;)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »
Would you be comfortable sitting in the back with your new bundle? That way you can cuddle him and it will be safer. No air bag to worry about.

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
thanks ejp, yes, I was going to sit in the back with her as I thought that would be the safest option too,
counting the days.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 07:10:49 PM »
Very exciting, brings back happy memories. Looking forward to photos  ;)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:45:27 PM »
Bea came home on my Mums lap, so she had the first cuddle which lasted around 2 1/2 hours >:(

Thankfully Bea had already been in a car at least twice before I picked her up so she was not bothered at all.

I've always put Bea in a car Harness on the back seat as most cars crumple zones involve the boot and the area where us Humans sit is the most protected, so in my opinion suitable for my girl.

Enjoy your new puppy.

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »
Thanks its,me,  I think the decision is that I  will be in the back with our new cuddle monster , I will start introducing car harness asap so that she is safe and secure in back seat

counting the days now

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 04:02:56 PM »
Best of luck! I think riding home in the car with Humphrey curled up asleep on my lap and smelling of puppy  was one of life‘s special moments! An exciting time, savour every minute!  :luv:

Offline Digger

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
Hi
Our pup was 5 hrs away. We did 2.5 hours, then stopped for lunch, then 2.5 hrs. I had posted a fleece blanket up to the breeder and asked her to put it in with the pups for a few days prior to collection so that it picked up familiar smells for her.  I had that on my lap and she was quite happy to snooze on my lap nearly all the way. I did have a soft bed at my feet as well and she had a little wriggle around in that occasionally. I think that initial super long cuddle helped her to bond actually. :luv:

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
A very special day when you collect  the new little one  :luv: :luv:
I sat in the back when we picked up Morgan and again with Hugo, it was nice to cuddle them and it helped to reassure them. Of course I had a towel on my lap just in case  ;) but also had a cat carrier strapped in beside me so that I could pop the pup in to rest. It helped to make me feel a bit more sure of their safety on the journey home.

Don't forget to post a photo of your little girl as soon as possible, it's compulsory you know  :luv:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »
thank you for all your replies,  I think we are pretty much sorted, so now it is a question of waiting for 'puppy day' :luv:

photos will follow

thanks
Maria

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 05:11:35 PM »
Enjoy your Gotcha Day, it's one I celebrate every year with my Girl as for me it's when it all started.

Sharon.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »
for these types of thing cat baskets are great to keep them safe until they are too big
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Barry H

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 09:00:34 AM »
Best of luck! I think riding home in the car with Humphrey curled up asleep on my lap and smelling of puppy  was one of life‘s special moments! An exciting time, savour every minute!  :luv:
^^^ This!  Wish I could relive that moment.  Remember to take lots of pics.  You'll regret it otherwise.

Jack at 8 weeks on the way home (Feb 2015)...