Author Topic: Weeing in bed  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Neilgc

Weeing in bed
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:20:07 AM »
Hi, can anyone help with advice, my 7 month old puppy is fully house trained but whenever we leave her in the house by herself in her crate she wees in her bed even if we only leave her for a short while.

Offline Digger

Re: Weeing in bed
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 09:52:52 PM »
..Have you tried leaving her not in a crate?
Our youngster is a naughty little monkey half the time but I have never locked her up when I go out. She will just find somewhere to snooze where she feels safe and has never done anything when we're out. I often wonder if some dogs feel stressed when they are in a crate and they know there is noone available to open it if need be. ?
Just a thought. I know there are two camps on the crate issue :D
(rest assured ours will be off with your handbag as soon as we are there though!...)  ph34r

Offline Neilgc

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 02:48:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply but she chews a lot and we have left her out before and came home to find some furniture damaged, so not yet I'm afraid

Offline Digger

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:39:16 PM »
...or...another idea.. ;)
Ours does have a sort of pen- it's just an area in the kitchen that's gated off, the doormat if you like, to a side door.Probably about 6 foot by two. She has her bed at one end (actually in what was previously the end cupboard) and water bowl at the other with her chews and toys in there. When she was really tiny I would leave her in there if I had to pop out. At least with the choice, she could wee outside of her bed if she couldn't hold it. She does still get the gate shut at night and there have been a couple of occasions where she has had an upset tummy and she has at least been able to get out of bed and go on the floor area. I'm sure your pup will be fine and sometimes you just don't know why they do things but it must be very stressful for a dog if they do need to go and have no choice but to soil their bed. I am just of the opinion that why not give them a bit of space to move around. You could do a similar thing, still using the crate if you need pup to get used to it for travelling etc but have the door open in a slightly bigger enclosure. The pup will still use the crate if it's the most comfortable place but that way you may be able to tell if it is stress weeing because it is in the crate or because you are out or just because it can't hold it yet. Poor little pooch-if only they could talk-how much simpler our lives would be!!