Author Topic: Regression in toilet training with our 6 month old pup  (Read 1199 times)

Offline totpotpink

• Hello from Mabel
Regression in toilet training with our 6 month old pup
« on: July 31, 2018, 08:27:34 AM »
Mabel our show cocker pup is 6.5 months old and from the very start has been really difficult in just two (but major!) areas - sleeping through the night and toilet training. We finally cracked the sleeping at four months but now she has reverted back to refusing to go outside in her loo patch and instead weeing (and pooing on occasion) indoors... she knows this is wrong because she won’t make eye contact with us and slinks off to her bed. We try to stay calm etc, not scold her and open the back door, ask her etc several times a day.

This morning at 7am I heard her calling so went down and opened the door for her..she refused to do anything. I took her back inside, prepared her breakfast, fed the cat, etc, and swept the floor. My daughter came down and opened the back door, calling her to do a wee and Mabel did not budge. Some minutes later I found the massive overnight wee on her own cooling mat and Mabel in her bed almost hiding her face. Any advice or something we may have missed/ not doing/ should be doing would be greatly appreciated. I know cockers are stubborn, but this is not a nice issue to be dealing with still at her age and makes us nervous to take her to cafes, friends’ houses etc. Both my husband and I are at home so she has plenty ty of opportunity to ring her bell, stand by the back door etc.

Thank you in advance
One concerned owner

Offline bmthmark

Re: Regression in toilet training with our 6 month old pup
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »
Probably worth getting her checked at the vet as she may have a bladder infection. Which maybe the reason she cannot hold on.

If she gets the all clear, I would go back to toilet training again. For example take her out on a regular basis and stay out there until she has been. Don't forget to praise and go over the top when she does go (outside).
Also you probably do this already but make sure you clean the area inside using cleaning stuff that kills the smell off, otherwise it will confuse her.
It sounds like she knows that she shouldn't do it inside (I know the look she is giving as mine does this when he knows he is doing something he shouldn't).  That's why getting the vet to rule out any bladder issues would be my first step.

Good luck

p.s She is still young so don't worry - she will get there

Offline totpotpink

• Hello from Mabel
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:20:54 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes I guess she is still very young but I am quite sure we couldn’t have done any more to encourage and praise her to go outside. We don’t feel it’s a medical issue but will consider a vet check of course. I think we need to keep calm and carry on but it’s a hard thing to remember at 7am when you’re half asleep🤣

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 05:17:46 PM »
Pups even up to a year may need going back to basics from time to time (even up to 2 years for some things) and as suggested if nothing medically wrong then always go back to square 1 with everything
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!