Author Topic: Slimy poo and itching  (Read 1739 times)

Offline 77marie

Slimy poo and itching
« on: August 21, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
Hi there,
I have been reading a lot on the forum already, but still I thought I would start a new thread...

We brought our wee girl Goldie home on Friday. She has had runny poos from the start. The food the breeder gave us was not very good (some non descript dry food and a can of pedigreepal) so we started her on raw cat food (we have two cats fed raw and we have been waiting for raw dog food delivery because the company wanted to wait for Goldie's weight  before completing the personalised order).
We perhaps made a mistake by giving her freeze dried liver treats, not sure whether it was what made the poos worse - not just runny but slimy and with bit of blood in it on Saturday.
Vet prescribed i/d cans on Saturday. They helped with the slime and blood for a while but still runny.
She is back on raw now and the poo is on and off, sometimes better and almost normal and then next runny and slimy again:-(
She is happy and active when she is awake, she is really a bundle of energy:-)
We finally got the raw dog food now so want to start that.
Or shall I rather give her boiled chicken with white rice?

I am afraid the breeder did not worm the pups until they were 7.5 weeks, so they might all have been full of worms, the poo had strange bits in it the first few days:-/ Vet said we need to wait with further worming until end of next week.

She is itchy, too... vet did not see any fleas, just dry and flaky skin. I ordered Yumega Plus and salmon oil. Anything else please?

Any suggestuons or advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Marie x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Slimy poo and itching
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
Oh dear, not a very pleasant start for you but I‘m sure once she‘s settled into a good raw diet, she‘ll be fine. Might be an idea to give her a little boiled chicken and rice just to get her stomach settled before you switch over to raw and then maybe introduce it gradually, perhaps with only one sort of meat to start with, maybe chciken, and then start and vary it. I literally did a so called Cold Turkey with Humphrey and switched over from dry to raw in one day but he was somewhat older and didn‘t have any digestion problems. Liver and Offal can cause runny pooh, - I add a bit to every meal, the same with tripe as I find that better than giving him one meal of just liver (which he doesn‘t teal like much anyway) and we don‘t have the problems of runny tummies anymore.
Maybe better to check with the vet re worms or parasites - Giardien for example, , a good natural way of keeping them at bay (although I‘m careful not to say completely prevent) is coconut (either dessicated or coconut oil, ) or a small amount of garlic. I don‘t have Humphrey dewormed as a matter of course, I have a poo test done every few months or so but since he‘s been on raw, we‘ve never had a problem. If he did have worms, then I would treat with dewormer from the vet. Itchy dry skin might clear up once he‘s on a good diet - Humphrey‘s scurfy coat, which was my main reason for going raw, cleared up within a week. A drop of oil, salmon, coconut, linseed etc is also food for the skin and coat.
My last two dogs lived to good old ages, despite the reputed Pedigree Pal  ;), but I didn‘t know about raw then.
Hope that helps a bit! Welcome to the site by the way, look forward to hearing more about Goldie, would love to see pictures!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
Welcome to COL,

A new home can be a little stressful for a new Pup, there used to having mum and litter mates around them, but also the environment has completely changed,

New carpets,furniture ,flowers and plants....the list goes on, all of which can upset a little pups system.

When I got Bea our vets wanted her to settle in for a week before having her check up, that way I could get to know her poo etc and have more infirmation for the Vet.

I would try plain chicken and rice for a few days then gradually move over to RAW,

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »
Poor wee mite. Cat food is too rich for dogs, and liver also for a little pup is too rich and can cause blood in the stools. Would keep her on bland food, chicken and rice for a few days to stabilise and give her a chance to settle,after the big upheaval of going to a new home. What ever you decide to feed, introducing gradually is the key, not sudden changes in diet.

Hope,she settles in soon and feels better. Hope to see some piccies soon!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline 77marie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:17:34 PM »
Thank you all for your replies and sharing your experience!
Yes I realise now that the cat food was too rich (16% of fat instead of just 9% in the raw dog food)... I believed that ground rabbit with bone and 10% of ox heart would have been ok...
Goldie did one lovely former poo and then later two runny ones again... I will give her now the boiled chicken and rice.
Someone recommended Three Bark Powder so I ordered that as well.
Wee soul. Yes she spent the first 8 weeks in a little wooden enclosure in the breeders kitchen not going out of it at all so all the new stuff must be overwhelming.
Thank you so much, I will keep you posted, fingers crossed!
Marie x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »
Wee soul, nice bland food for a few days until things settle should do the trick. Hope she feels better soon.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »
just to add, our Gemma is 7 years old and does 3 poohs in the morning. always has and i assume always will. The first is always nice and firm , the next is soft then followed by unpick upable mushy. Just saying  :003:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 11:43:57 AM »
Some white fish poached in a little water (she can drink the water too) will line the stomach nicely x  If you pop to the supermarket in the aisle where the polish cold produce is, you can pick up a small bottle of Kefir.  A teaspoon a couple of times a day on a saucer will give good gut bacteria.

Keep us posted and lots of pictures please x

Offline 77marie

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »
Hi there,
Just a quick update!
We put Goldie on raw right away, the raw food supplier said it might be better. They have vets and nutritionist on their team and able to provide advice (Honey?s Real Dog Food).And they recommended Tree Bark Powder too. We gave her the Powder a few times with her food.
And Goldie?s poops have settled after a few days and have been perfect ever since.
We got Yumega as well. And her itching has gone away as well.
So I am delighted. The raw is really working great for us and for Goldie too. She is growing so fast!
Thank you so much.
Have a lovely day everyone
Marie xx

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »
I have Daisy on Honey's and have recommended them to a few people and they have had good results. I find their information pretty good and their customer service is first rate. Pleased to hear it is working out for Goldie, and thanks for the update.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
That?s great news, so glad raw has worked for you!  :clapping: