Author Topic: Overbite at 12weeks  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Dandelion

Overbite at 12weeks
« on: September 17, 2018, 04:01:52 PM »
We have a twelve week old cocker bought from a Kennel Club breeder with free Kennel Club insurance.
At his vaccination appointment our vet told us he had an overbite that was causing the incisors to dig into the top gum. We decided to leave it a couple of weeks to see if it improved but last week the vet said he would like him seen by a dental vet who is a two hour drive away. In the meantime I had renewed the Kennel Club insurance to give us continuous cover only to learn today that an overbite is not covered. The quote to have the bottom incisors removed is ?820.
Fergus is happy and healty, he has no problem eating and has slept all night since we got him home.
I am wondering if there is any chance this will correct itself without an operation which seems a big procedure at twelve weeks.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Overbite at 12weeks
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:03:10 PM »
Hi and welcome! Glad you?ve found us.
Surely Fergus has still got his first teeth which will come out eventually anyway? Perhaps it would be worth having a word with the breeder first, or seek another opinion from another vet, it  seems a bit over the top to me, especially if he doesn?t appear to be having any problems.
Sleeping through the night already? Sounds like you?ve hit the jackpot! Well done!  :luv:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »
One of my Cockers had an overbite when he came to me at 10 weeks. As he grew and as his adult teeth came through it disappeared and by about 7 or 8 months old he had a normal scissor bite, which was just as well as I intended to show him!

He was a younger half brother to my other Cocker and I knew the breeder quite well. I know that neither of his parents had the problem and had normal scissor bites, because I saw them!

Offline Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:39 PM »
Thanks for your welcome and your thoughts. We will have a good think about it, if he was showing signs of being in pain we wouldn?t hesitate but he is not and I think a general anaesthetic at such a young age might be an ordeal for him.