Author Topic: Why do I feel so bad?  (Read 4070 times)

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
Re: Why do I feel so bad?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 10:10:50 PM »
it will get better honest some days i feel like i have made the mistake of gettin a puppy to but then there r days when he learns something new or does something funny and gives me hugs and kisses i know why i got him take it a day at a time the bigger puppy gets the more settled things will become and it will be alot easier

just love her and enjoy her and im sure in a few weeks u will look back at this and think how silly u were

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 02:18:15 AM »
I went through the "OMG what did i get myself into" fase  ph34r Now, I should mention that my puppy came to me with serious fear issues that I'm still working on. I cried every day for a month, it was so hard to see her scared so much of the time. BUT that was not the reason for my panick and feeling of being trapped. I was prepared for the fact that a puppy is a lot of work, but I was not prepared for the arrival of the puppy to change my entire life. I couldn't think of anything but her, everything I did was about the dog. But then one day I startet to feel more relaxed and I realised my panick came from the fact that I have so much to loose now  :luv:  I started to think like a normal person again, I did spend much of my time with the puppy, but I also took time to do other stuff. And as they get older and the training starts to work, everything is so much easier. I have enjoyed every moment with my dog, even that one-two weeks when I felt trapped, I enjoyed every day. She makes me laugh and smile and feel happy. I can't imagine my life without her wagging tail in it, I get so much in return every day :luv:

Offline dmulally

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 02:46:32 AM »
Perhaps invest in a dog walker/player? It will give you a bit of a break which you may need and it may relieve some dependancy issues. Who knows though, every pup will be different.

Hang in there though tiger, and it will all be worth it.

I had no idea what I did before I met my little guy but what ever I did, it wasnt what I call living as I know it to be now. Best thing that ever happened to me (although I cant see the little guy right now destroying something as we speak!!)

It does change your life, but definately for the better.

Regards

Damian

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 08:56:58 AM »
Echo what the rest have said.  So so many true words. 

The last time I had an 8 week old, I was in my twenties, obviously, a lot more laid back then.  This time, I was so up and down, she was a little biting monster, well still is, but not me anymore.  As each week ticked by, it got better, slowly, but better.  Now she has turned one, we have come out the other side and I wouldn't change her for the world.   Just want to say, hang in there, it will be worth it.
Sarah

Willow and Katie

Offline trevandcaz

• Site Member
  • Millybelle
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 10:03:13 AM »
I really do appreciate all the advice.  Thanks once again!

We did indeed have a puppy 20 years ago - when we were an awful lot younger and the family were still at home.  I remember it being fairly chaotic then - but then my whole life was chaotic at the time so I suppose it didn't make too much difference.

We are now retired and we lost our last lovely dog (a springer spaniel) some 4 years ago.  We thought we would be able to give a new puppy plenty of time and attention (which is true) but I think I'd forgotten how organised and selfish (!) we have become without a dog and had forgotten just how demanding a small puppy can be.

I do feel loads better today, especially after all your wonderful comments, and we each day seem to cross another bridge or jump another hurdle.  We did get to the carol service last night even though it was about 6.30 pm and usually Milly's play time, but she went to bed and waited until we got home for that!!  So she can be adaptable after all - and she's always pleased to see us even if we do sometimes have to put our own lives first!!

And tonight we have an ex-works Christmas meal - which will mean tucking her in about 7 pm tonight!  So she's not actually cramping our style too much - it's probably not such a good time to care for a puppy (not if you have some sort of social life).

Still today she's out in the garden without a care in the world helping my OH with moving a compost heap!  :lol:

And by the end of this week she'll be able to go out of the garden for the first time, which will be good (if only she'll stop playing with her lead).  And on Wednesday we take her for a trial run visiting our son his wife and our grandson, because that's where we'll all be for Christmas day!!

So, just as long as I don't panic too much - we'll be fine ... ::)

many thanks again
not-so-crazy Caz

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 10:56:30 AM »
Glad you're feeling better about it all today - try and hang in there if you can.

I had a touch of the "puppy blues" too - I was off work having broken my wrist when Jasper arrived and it was sooooo hard going.
The last little bit before he could go out after his jabs was definitely worst by far. Things changed for the better when he could get out and about in the big wide world - new places + new smells = new and improved puppy!

Looking back now, when Jasper is almost 9 months, it was all well worth it..... honest ;)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »
After getting a new dog, I have had days when I felt "why did I do this"? Am I prepared to take on yet more responsibility for yet another dog?

It is a very common thing, after getting puppies as well as after getting new adult dogs too... It's just something you have to ride out - and it looks like you are doing a fab job! In no time, it will all fall into place and you'll wonder how you ever coped without a dog before...  :D

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 11:20:03 AM »
I can relate to how you feel too.  When we got our second Cocker he was the first dog I had owned with serious behavioural issues.  He bit me, OH (3 times) and Meg within the first month of owning him, we couldn't get him out of the car, off our bed or the settee without being attacked!  He was only 14 months old but was a nightmare.  I wasn't working when we first got him and OH wasn't around most of the time so I had to cope on my own and when OH was around Jakey always did something terrible and OH and I would end up rowing. 

He nearly went back because we just couldn't see things improving.  Anyway, they did and although Jakey is an ongoing project he's not going anywhere and we love him (& Meg) more than anything.

Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 11:51:22 AM »
:D
so glad you are feeling a little better  ;)  it does help to tell people how you feel..it seems to relieve some of the pressure
it is hard work for the first couple of months and i agree it does help when you can take them for a walk...Thursday for me...hooray  :005: to release some energy..you and the pups  ::)  have you tried clicker training at home....gives the pup something to focus on besides wrecking your house  and is a great way to get rid of some of the energy as well as starting the training off...there never to young to start IMO....in the 4 weeks of having Lola  she has learned to sit..down..stay..rollover and give a paw...just a couple of 5 min slots a day works wonders  :D
its true your life will never be the same again...but the life you do have will be filled with joy and endless love...with the odd hiccup  :005:

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »
Hi there

So glad you are feeling a bit better.  I had a blue roan puppy in July and it is a much easier time of the year for all sorts of reasons, than this time of year.  Toilet training on a sunny day (not that we had soooo many this year!) is better than December toilet training.  Walks are more pleasurable than struggling through the mud and puddles.   And let's not even mention Christmas!!

You are not alone.  It is VERY exhausting having a puppy.  Utterly, utterly tiring.  Wearying and overbearing.  And a big shock to the system.  Suddenly, everything centres around this little bundle of fluff.  Your whole world stops dead.  Your wants and needs are very low down on the list of priorities.  :'(   But don't panic.  Deep breaths.  One step at a time.   ;)  When someone tells you their puppy was house trained in a week..... ::)  just say, "oh really, how nice".  They forget or they fib!!   ;) 

One day at a time.  Soon you will find you have a really, really lovely day and a bit of success.  MAGIC!  Life seems more bearable.  Do try and mix with others in your shoes at puppy training classes.  I found it so reassurring that I was not alone and that others were experiencing all the frustrations and what's more, having the same feelings I was having.  I didn't feel such an awful owner after all.  My biggest problem was lack of sleep.  I can run the world on a decent sleep, but without it, nothing functions!  :005:

Hang on in there.  Don't give up.  But do ease up on yourself and your own expectations.  Aim less high, and then be pleasantly surprised when you achieve more!  :luv:

It WILL get better.  Every month that goes by WILL get easier.  Then suddenly you look back and think, my goodness, where's that tiny bundle of fluff gone?  :luv:

Keep in touch.  We will all help you.  They all helped me.  I was a bag of rubbish in the beginning - now listen to me!!

Love

Kay
-x-

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 02:30:07 PM »
Only just caught up with this thread, I'm glad things are looking better.  It is amazing how much a puppy takes over your life.  I had days where I'd call my boyfriend in tears - like you things were 'going well' eith the puppy - but its just sooo tiring!!

Like everyone else has said it does get better and you'll soon think "oh i haven't thought puppy for half an hour without thinking"... and then thats when you discover their either a) asleep or b) doing something they shouldn't!

Maybe try and get a puppy sitter for a couple of hours and give yourself a bit of 'me' time back? Much like you would when you have a baby?

Hope things carry on getting better - and until they do remember we're all here for you

Steely x

Offline JulieG

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »
hi.am feeling pretty badmyself just now my cocker luna had a litter 5weeks a go and it is hard work i feel stressed that i have done this on my own puppies need a lot of  :luv: and am feeling that low just now dont get me wrong i  :luv: them to bits but i know how you feel things may get better try and give it a wee bit more time if you cant hope you get good home for dog takecare           julie

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 02:55:05 PM »
I HAAAAAATE puppies!!!!  :D They are cute to visit at the breeders and that's about it IMO.. I've just made it though to the other side with my second pup (he's now nearly 7 months) and I love him to pieces now but he certainly wasn't my favorite being for a VERY long time.. and I suspect may well be my last pup  :005:

I also re-homed a dog this year too which was a first for me and that's been a lot easier and more rewarding than a pup (if a steep learning curve!)

It does get easier but you do have to learn to be a bit more relaxed about things with a little puppy in your life  ;)

Hope you enjoy her and it all gets easier for you very soon  :-*

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline mary w

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »
I'm with you on this one Trevor, they are so cute but oh the hard work. I know it is all worth it in the end. But the next dog I get will be a "Rescue" I would do it right now, but my grumpy old Ben would be upset. :'(
And when the time comes it will be a rescue of this site. ;)
Love machine

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 05:05:24 PM »
I have had three Cocker Spaniel puppies and I've loved every minute of them.  Granted, they can be hard work: standing outside in the cold and wet waiting for them to perform, when they think it's a great game being there; gagging when you have to clean up after they have had an accident; cleaning up when they have had fun ripping up paper, or bringing things in from the garden and making a mess all over the house.

But, you have lots of fun with them, and they are a joy to own, and you can't wait for them to grow so that you can take them for walks.