Author Topic: Why do I feel so bad?  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Matthelen

• Site Member
Re: Why do I feel so bad?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 10:13:22 PM »
When we got Wilbur his happy lively personality sold him to us, however little did we know what was in store.   >:D >:D
All the issues discussed above applied to him and the change to our lives.  On one memorable occasion OH was trying to iron clothes ready to go out, as usual we were running late and Wilbur was attacking the items to be ironed, the iron lead and if all else failed OH's ankles.  It go so bad OH threw the iron across the room in a rage and smashed it to bits against wall.   >:( >:(
Wilbur for weeks would appear with bits of plastic in his mouth for a good chew. 
So many times before getting ready for work my underwear would disappear, ankles would be nipped raw and I would be in tears   :'( of frustration, however the wild wagging bum and whimpering excitement when I returned was worth all the heart ache.  Life started to get better after we started taking him to obedience puppy class where we learnt to mentally stimulate him.  It also got so much better that we have now got Mabel to keep him company.  This is the best thing for them as they play, annoy and entertain each other, but still thrive on our attention.  Wilbur is now 9mths and Mabel 4mths and although our lives have been changed forever (rushing back from a night out - early - or even staying in rather than partying and down the beach whatever the weather ) we would not change it for the world.  Even as I type this Wilbur is nuzzling me for attention and Mabel is curled up on OH.

Stick at it and enjoy Christmas   ;)

Offline Doggone Mad

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 01:49:03 PM »
Agree with the comments above.  The first month was really hard with the constant trips outside for the toilet, sleepless nights, excessive chewing/biting when teething etc.  I started leaving him from day one by just popping into another room for say 10 seconds and very, very gradually built it up over the weeks.  As long as he's had a nice walk, has toileted etc then he is fine being left for 2.5 - 3 hours.  He actually runs happily into his wee crate. Haven't gone past the 3 hours really yet but just building up gradually with the aim of being able to leave him a max of 4 hours when fully grown. 

If I compare how he is now with when I got him there is no comparison.  He is much better in all departments ie sleeps through the night, toilet trained, less bitey, less chewing, good recall, happy to just sleep on my lap while I watch telly etc etc.  It sounds like a cliche but it honestly does get better.  Still got the teens to go through, but forewarned is forearmed !     

Offline trevandcaz

• Site Member
  • Millybelle
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 09:29:33 AM »
We had a practice "Christmas Run" yesterday!  It was one of the things I was getting anxious about.  Our son, his wife and our grandson Alfie had invited us to spend Christmas Day and Boxing Day with them, and we were delighted to accept some weeks ago - in those far off days when we didn't have a puppy!  So now we have the problem of taking Milly and hoping she wouldn't be too much trouble to anyone!

Anyway.  We went yesterday - just for the day - taking Milly, her toys, her food and her bed/crate and set off in cold, crisp bluesky weather across the 30 miles of countryside to my son's house.  It was the longest journey of her life so far (only short trips previously) and she grizzled a bit to begin with but quickly settled down to sleep.  It took an hour and on arrival she was TERRIFIED!  Shaking and squeaking all over the place.  But eventually she settled down, did her business in their garden and was given a penned off area in their hall for her bed and play area (we couldn't let her loose among Alfie and his toys straight away).  And she was fine.  Didn't mess or wet the floor, only grizzled now and again, ate her lunch and slept.  What more can we ask?

She did seem very relieved though to get back home that evening, and couldn't wait to return to the normal routine.

But at least I don't feel so worried about taking her again next week - just 30 miles up the road - but I didn't tell you about the Boxing Day visit to another son who lives 200 miles away did I?? :D

I'll worry about that tomorrow.  :huh:

thanks again for keeping my spirits up.

Caz

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Ask your other son to visit you this Boxing Day!  She's only a puppy once.  Next year will be entirely different and pup will be grown up and able to cope with long journeys and new environments.

My OH and I are great cinema buffs and have always been to see a film at least once a week.  Since Daisy arrived in July, we haven't been at all!!  It really does change your life.  We are not pub goers, nor eat out alot, so the cinema was really the sum total of our "social" life.  (We're a couple of sad saps!)   Buy hey ho, they're only a puppy for such a short while, this time next year we can pick all that up again.  I've just made a note of all the films I wanted to see and missed, and am getting them out over Christmas on DVD!!

Love

Kay
-x-

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
Hang in there, it will get better! I remember that I really wanted to enjoy having the dogs as puppies, and ended up totally exhausted and upset and sometimes thinking I couldn't cope.  :'( I really does pass, though. Just remember that you are not alone, that it will get better and that you've got other people here to support you. :angel:

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 04:10:19 PM »
Maybe something will happen to you like it did to me, which must be some kind of neurological phenomenon: every bad memory from Jerry's puppyhood is completely wiped off my brain  :005:  !! Really, I vaguely remember maybe some frustration about certain incidents of puppy teeth constantly lodged into my jeans wherever I walked, or certain "accidents" on the carpet right when we thought he had finally understood...but the rest has completely disappeared, in my memory, behind a pink cloud of how great it was, how cute he was, and how much fun we had. Mind you, he is only 2 and a half years now! I recently saw a home video my dad made when Jerry was a few months old, my god, I was in tears how funny he was!

Really, he grew so fast, and he is such a sweet and loving dog (and yes, he has calmed down...a bit), we absolutely adore him. I remember that my OH, at some point was more pronounced about his frustration with Jerry's puppyhood annoyances, but these days all he does is hugging and kissing him and swearing his love to him   ::) :005:

We're thinking about getting a second dog in 2008 and I would looove to get another puppy - help, do I need an intervention?? (Actually, we're more thinking about getting a spayed rescue female older than 1 year...)
Veronika, with Jerry & Bonnie

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »
Agreeing with everything on the last three pages  ::) As has been mentioned it DOES get better & for a while you wont even notice or realise that it has  :lol:

I think 99% of us on here have been where you have. 

I think my lowest point was toilet training Blue in the back garden when he was around 12 weeks, stood in my dressing gown and wellies in -7 degrees in tears - this was in between Christmas and New Year, had both the kids off and it was just one of those moments.  It soon passed & I would fight to the ends of the earth for Blue now  :luv: