Author Topic: big walks?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
big walks?
« on: May 17, 2004, 12:02:04 PM »
Hi there. Just wanted to ask, at 6 and a half months, can I start taking Pickle on bigger walks now?
We were up in Highland Perthshire yesterday, where we're moving to in summer (very beautiful  8) ) and took Pickle for a tramp through the heather. As the weather was so nice, we ended up half way up a mountain, and by the time we hoofed it back down again, the wee lamb was cream-crackered, and slept the rest of the day :oops:  It was only about 2 miles, but quite hilly - was that too much for him?
I'm just so looking forward to getting out on proper walks, rather than our usual amble along the beach and back!
Thanks in advance
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
big walks?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:07:57 PM »
would like to know them same myself, Oscar is 4 months old. How far is Too Far.                    
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
big walks?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 05:32:43 PM »
A good rule of thumb is 5 mins exercise for every month of a puppy's age - so at 4 months, that works out at 20 minutes formal exercise at a time & 30 mins at 6 months. Probably the 2 mile hike up the mountain was a bit much for a 6 month pup although when he's fully mature, he will happily do this & more :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
big walks?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 10:21:20 PM »
Thanks for this Jane. I'm still knackered after the hill walk, so I don't think P will be getting any more of them for a while!!
When does a puppy reach full maturity? Is it about a year? And once we're there, can exercise be pretty much limitless (within reason, obviously!)
Thanks
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
big walks?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 10:40:45 PM »
:) Many may think differently to me :wink: , but I personally don't overwalk Indie, she is just 1, and I won't take her on long treks till shes 18 months, just to give her bones and muscles etc time to mature :)  I don't think its such a big issue in cockers, but I am aware of the dangers of early arthritus brought on by excessive walking, when young.

However, one off walks like that are fine :D   Hope you have some muscle rub in for the back of those calves :wink:  :lol:   Lucky you as well moving further up into the highlands 8)   We plan to do a bit of a tour of scotland this year, so if you have any, "Must See" ideas, please let me know :wink:                    

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
big walks?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 09:58:16 AM »
Thanks Emma. We have both recovered now, I think! I guess we'll stick to short-ish walks just now, with the occasional longer one thrown in. I had really hoped getting Pickle would get me fit, but I'll just have to wait a while until he's ready to be my personal trainer! For now, might as well have another teacake.....!!!!
Re Scotland, and places to visit. Hmmmm, it's such a fab place. Where we're moving to is near Loch Tay. It is stunning all around there, and there is lots to do, walking, sailing, riding, quad-biking etc etc...it's a great place to visit. It's also pretty central to Scotland, and quite accessible.
Have you got a route planned yet? I take it wee Indie will be joining you on the trip??!!!
Emma and Pickle xx
PS just read on 'anything goes' that quad biking isn't your favourite thing, but in the place I'm thinking of, it's all done on a private farm. I've never seen an independent quad bike in Scotland...maybe that trend hasn't reached here yet??!!                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
big walks?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 11:28:45 AM »
:D Emma - Indie will be joining us, can't wait now, so glad her season is out of the way!  No route planned as yet :?  I really should do one, I am so disorganised :lol:   We will be camping, so nothing to book, we just turn up and hope they have room :roll:  :lol:  

Thanks