Author Topic: Why does Sam not go toilet outside!!!!!  (Read 560 times)

Offline shazzy

• sam 17 wks
Why does Sam not go toilet outside!!!!!
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:00:59 PM »
 :o Hi again, my cocker pup sam who is 17 wks will not for the life of him go do his muck outside, when he is about ready to go i take him out and can be stood there with him for over 1 hour >:(. He will hold it and hold it until we return inside then bingoooo!!! ::)   I know he is still young, i am just hoping for some advice as to how i can get the little blighter  >:D to go outside.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Why does Sam not go toilet outside!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
Does he poop anywhere indoors? or does he use a training pad or paper? - if he likes a pad or paper it might be worth putting some on the lawn, then gradually making it a smaller area until he's using the grass.

Meg was like this, so I put her pad outside for a week, and made a huge fuss when she used the outdoor one
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline shazzy

• sam 17 wks
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
No he is quite good in the fact he doesn't poop anywhere, only on his pad, and i have tried moving it outside and he just sits on it for sometimes 1 hour or more, then like i say as soon as he comes in he does it indoors >:D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
Not sure if this will work, but how about taking him nearly indoors, then take him out again smartish so that in his mindset he is going in to do a poo, but does it outside instead!! take a treat in your pocket so that you can give him a treat for doing it outside.

Katie pup is now six months and is nearly reliably clean, she used to do this, out for a while, then in to poo, so i watched her like a hawk and as soon as she crouched I gently put my hand under her bum, picked her up and took her out, and she could not help but 'go' You will have to be careful tho not to scare her in case she then feels she is doing wrong doing it on the pad.

It can be a very frustrating time for all puppy owners - but they do get there, some sooner than others ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
Puppy pads can cause confusion, as they tell pups it's okay to go inside. I'd move the pad outside and try to get him to go there. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:25:07 PM »
I agree with Beth (though i'm not one to talk my 7 month still has 'accidents') if it's too much move the pad gradually closer to the door untill it's outside.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »
I agree with Beth (though i'm not one to talk my 7 month still has 'accidents') if it's too much move the pad gradually closer to the door untill it's outside.

Know what you mean - only a couple of weeks ago I too was pulling me hair out wondering if Katie would ever learn!! - I feel a bit of a fraud advising others what to try :embarassed:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »

Do you use a word to get him to go  :huh: as in "go wee...be quick" i used " be quick" with mine and still do with Lola as she has a thing about going in the street and seeing as the evening walk is street walk now i have had to go back to telling her to go  ::)
Puppy pads can cause confusion although i used them with Biba and she never had a problem going outside  :-\ you could try giving him a command when you see him do it on the pad and praise/reward him and then transfer the command when you take him out with a reward/treat for going outside  :-\