Author Topic: Puppy to Adult feeds  (Read 816 times)

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Puppy to Adult feeds
« on: July 11, 2004, 11:24:25 PM »
Hi folks

Can anyone tell me when Molly should switch from puppy to adult food (she's almost 13 months).  She's on Naturediet (and loves it) but when I've tried to introduce the adult version (with increasing amounts each day) she gets a really upset tummy.  She's never had a huge appetite but has thrived normally and is a sturdy and robust little thing.  I recently had her spayed (after torturous deliberation!) and her interest in food has increased but I'm careful not to give her any more than before the op. to prevent her turning into a rolypoly but I'd really like to know if continuing on the puppy food will do her any harm.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Tracey & Molly                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Puppy to Adult feeds
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 11:58:38 PM »
Why not try an adult food of another brand? And remember to introduce the new food gradually, not all at once.
All mine have been changed to adult food before they have turned 8 months.                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Puppy to Adult feeds
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 08:38:15 AM »
Hi

I think puppy food contain more protein and fats etc to help the puppys growth, you may find that keeping a dog on puppy food after they are fully grown will make them put on weight.

Have you checked the ingredients on the bags, maybe there is just one ingredients upsetting her tummy. Maybe you can find an adult food containing whatever the puppy food is made with. Some dogs react to beef and do better with chicken as a suggestion.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Puppy to Adult feeds
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 09:18:16 AM »
Naturediet do different varieties of their adult food - does Molly get the same reaction with all of them? If so, then I would agree with the others & consider gradually changing to another food like Burns or James Wellbeloved. At 13 months, it would be better if she wasn't on Puppy Food anymore as she doesn't need that extra protein being fully grown now.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Puppy to Adult feeds
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 10:14:09 AM »
Naturediet also do a product called Naturenzyme which is added to the food.  It is used especially during times of diet changes - a bit like a probiotic drink for us humans - meant to help the digestion.  If you contact them - they will send you out a sample - don't know how much it would cost to buy. Tel:  01428 682278

Naturediet recommended to myself changing over to the adult version at 6 months of age.  And said I could continue with the higher protein version apparently if it didn't make Brogan too hyper and agreed with him.  Don't know if that was long term though - he went straight onto the adult version at that point.

I am trying to change Bailey over to Naturediet at the moment but vaccinations and a diet change was too much for him - we are going to try again in a couple of weeks time.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09