Author Topic: Whoohoo! Fraser walked beautifully on his leash today.  (Read 3035 times)

Offline tritonx

Whoohoo! Fraser walked beautifully on his leash today.
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
I got an Easy Walk harness as he was a champion puller and it has been a great success so far, but today is the first time he's walked along beside me on loose leash with his attention tuned to me. He  was doing that high, bouncy, head up, proud dog walk, restraining himself from pulling ahead. It surprises me a bit as I had been slacking on his training, mostly just taking him out on a retractable leash for exercise and sniff around as he was neutered last Friday. This is the longest walk we've done where it felt he was consciously being 'well behaved'. I felt quite proud of him. I'm usually the one being dragged along hither and thither past other dog owners with their hounds trotting neatly beside them.

On another front, he has taken full advantage of the cosseting he was getting in his recovery from surgery. He hasn't been much of a couch dog, but I was having him up on the couch beside me in the evening to stroke him. Until now, I always lifted him up, but yesterday he sprang up beside me without invitation and pressed himself into the cushions against any attempts to remove him (I don't mind him being on the couch; it just has to be by invitation). I ordered him off and he squooshed in tighter. I lifted him down and within a couple of minutes he was back up again, this time bringing out the big guns and hurling limpid spaniel eyes at me. He never looks quite so cute as when he'd doing something he knows he's not supposed to. So, we've been in a battle of wills. Much springing up, much putting him down. But all in all, things are going well.

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
Re: Whoohoo! Fraser walked beautifully on his leash today.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
Sounds like he is manipulating you just right what with the Cocker eyes (who can resist ?) still, well done for getting him to walk without pulling.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »
 :005: Pleased to hear things are going well for you on the walking front and him in the snuggle front  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Sue E

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:46:28 PM »
I read this this morning and went straight out and bought one!  Ozzy could pull a sleigh when out on walks.  Came straight back from the shop and took him for a walk with it - what a transformation!  He wasn't happy at first but you could tell that something was happening to make him stay by my side.  Gave him lots of praise and treats on the way round - best walk I've had for ages!   :luv:  It will help my youngest son too, he's only 8 and Ozzy is just too strong for him on a walk so this will help him enjoy walks again. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

One question though - I'm assuming that the intention is to train him with this and gently wean him back onto a conventional collar and lead? 

Sue

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
Sue could you let me know where you purchased the harness from - have been surfing and can't find anything!
Thanks

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »
Is it the Trixie Easy Walk Harness? 

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Frugal Mule

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
I'm interested too, sounds great. Is there a picture of one anywhere so I know what to look for?

Offline tritonx

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »
In a different time zone, so I've just woken to see I should have bought stocks in Easy Walk harness. The brand here (in Canada) is Gentle Leader. People here have also had success with the Halti harness which seems to work from the same principle of the chest lead rather than neck or shoulder connection. I'll have to see if Fraser generalizes to collar lead walking, but what the halter has given me are opportunities to praise him when he walks beside me, reinforcing the position I want from him. Before, he was so busy pulling to the next smell or spot on the pavement or dog or person that I could hardly get his attention, even with the best treats. He'd blow them off to get at what he was interested in. It's an easy harness to get a dog into as well. The belly strap is a different colour from the back and chest straps. At first I was a bit concerned that the martingale arrangement at the front might be working by compressing his chest and possibly damaging a growing pup, but I had it on him and pulled it tight and there was still room for two fingers underneath so I conclude it's the feeling on the chest of the lead tug that reminds him I'm on the other side of the lead.

Here's a vid.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEM9zl4ngs.  You should be able to find a local distributer if you put the name into your search engine. I just phoned around my local pet stores, asking for a Halti harness but only the Easy Walk harness was in stock so went with that.  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts if you try either of them out and how training goes.

ETA: The one nuisance is that if the lead plays out, he sometimes steps over it and it runs under his front leg and I have to untangle him.  However, when he's in the correct position, that doesn't happen. To me, it's a small issue compared to the pulling.

Offline Sue E

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
Mine is actually the one from Pets at Home.  Its the Stop Pull Harness but it looks to be the same when I compared them on line.  I don't think you can get the Easy Walk Harness from a store, but you can order them online.  I just couldn't wait that long (I'm so impatient....) :005:

It seems to work though.  My son took him out today and said that Ozzy didn't pull for him. 

Offline Frugal Mule

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
Any update on where to actually order one of these from? I can only seem to find American, Canadian and Australian stockists. As far as I can tell, the Pets at Home harness is not the same thing as the Easy Walk, which has a front clipping ring. I think it's this one:

http://www.puppy-training-solutions.com/image-files/easy-walk-harness-and-leash.jpg

I could really do with something like this to help as walking Sweep is exhausting! I can keep his attention with treats for certain stretches of the walk but I'm always dying to get to the next off lead bit so I can rest my training brain for a minute or two!

Offline tritonx

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »
Have you phoned round your local pet stores to ask if they have any in stock? Originally I was looking for  Halti harness, but all the sites seemed to be UK, but when I phoned round found the Easy Walk harness and read the reviews. You might have more luck finding the Halti harness that seems to work by the same principle, the chest steerage arrangement.  http://www.petexpertise.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=29831#petdesc

Offline Frugal Mule

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
Thanks for your help! :)

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »
Found them - hope it OK to post the website : http://www.leagueofgentlemen.co.uk/friendsoffido/easywalk.html
Off to re-measure the hound and then will place an order!

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
Wow- hows this for service - ordered the harness & lead yesterday at 4pm and it has just arrived 1st class post. Can't wait to give it a try out - will keep you informed of developments!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »
I've also ordered one - hopefully it will arrive today.  Really need something as my mum is coming to stay to help me with dogs (have a lot of travelling with work coming up and am not happy putting them in kennels every 5 minutes), and she is going to be walking the dogs when I'm not here, so really need something that works.  Misha and Roly walk quite nicely on lead together (one each side), but once Lexi is added to the equation they feel the need to pull as a team  >:(
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love