Author Topic: Whoohoo! Fraser walked beautifully on his leash today.  (Read 3036 times)

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
Re: Whoohoo! Fraser walked beautifully on his leash today.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »
Wow - this harness is FANTASTIC!  Am using it on Florin our 9 month old 22kg working clumber pup who, to put it mildly, is liking walking a bullock down the road.   Got 3 working cockers and a lab in the other hand (no problem) but she has been a nightmare - mostly caused by her complete obsession with blackbirds (doesn't bode well for when we introduce her to game, I know, but am working on that!) >:D

She stood perfectly while we fitted it and without a word of a lie after her first charge forward failed, she hasn't left my side since.  Got all the way to the fields and back again this morning and only had to use the words Florin & heal once. Harness now absolutely filthy but got a dark colour so not too worried.   Can't recommend these highly enough - will slowly introduce her normal slip lead back into a walk and see how we progress from there.

Only thing it doesn't do is to stop the vertical take off as the blackbirds zoom overhead, but not sure anything could stop that! :005:

Offline Frugal Mule

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »
Ordered one this afternoon. Can't wait and really hope it helps as Sweep was worse than ever on the lead today! Just when I think we're getting somewhere he goes back to square one  ::)

Offline tritonx

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
Glad to hear it's working. I'll be interested to hear from others who have tried either the Easy Walk or the Halti. And if you find any problems with them.

Offline Frugal Mule

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :lol2:

AMAZING!!!

Ordered the Easy Walk harness yesterday, arrived today and it works like a miracle!

It sounded too good to be true but I spent most of the walk chuckling to myself in disbelief as Sweep constantly corrected himself and walked calmly by my side. Not once did I feel stressed out, not once was my arm jerked out of it's socket and he otherwise seemed completely oblivious of wearing it.

Thank you every one who has recommended it. I am SO happy  :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline tritonx

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 05:10:16 PM »
The next step is to find out if our collection of harness wearers will generalize to collar lead and off lead. So far, even though I'm still rewarding Fraser when he's attentively walking right beside me, if I put the lead on his collar, he pulls. My training is complicated by the fact that there is no place is can let him off lead as there are too many hazards. There are too many pit bull type crosses around, often off leash. A local dog ended with over 100 stitches from an attack one street over. It's ironic that I'm on the edge of thousands of miles of forest, but feel it too risky to let Fraser run free as coyotes will lure a dog away and kill them, wolves and cougars will kill on sight. The bears will mostly just run away though opinions vary on whether a barking dog will provoke an attack. I'm not sure why we're having so much interaction with predatory animals that normally are far off in the deep forest, but there have been cougar attacks on sheep and llamas locally and sightings of wolves from people walking their dogs. Actually, I'm not too keen on walking in the forest right outside my fence on my own account as cougars do attack joggers and hikers, though non locally so far. In any case, these considerations mean I keep him on a retractable leash and the first part of any walk is to let him trot off some energy and have a doggy forage about. The homeward stretch is when we practice loose leash walking. I'd love to hear how training progresses for your pups.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »
I know i will have to measure Hattie, but i was wondering what size you all got.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »
I got the small/medium - hasn't arrived yet, am hoping it will come tomorrow.  Can't wait (sad isn't it) :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »
I got the small/medium - hasn't arrived yet, am hoping it will come tomorrow.  Can't wait (sad isn't it) :lol2:

I love buying for the dogs, i get so exited waiting for it to be delivered. :005: now waiting for a new dog tag.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »

I love buying for the dogs, i get so exited waiting for it to be delivered. :005: now waiting for a new dog tag.

I'm the same (at least its not a new collar), though I might have to get them to match ;) and then it'll need a matching lead (it never ends!!!)
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Frugal Mule

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »

I am perfectly willing to admit I've turned into the most boring person I know :005:

I got the medium size. It's a little bit big but I adjusted the straps and it still does what it's supposed to. At the rate he's growing he'll fit it perfectly in a month or two anyway!

Offline JulieNicholds

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 09:41:33 AM »
I got a medium too, although I went for navy & blue it is now black but small price to pay for the calmness that now surrounds our walks :D
Am also going to try it on my youngest working cocker, who although 100% to heel off lead just thinks she needs to be head & shoulders in front of everyone else - this will just be to see how she gets on with it, the main reason for the purchase was Florin the clumber! ;)

Offline Manchester_Spaniel

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
frugal mule - how old is sweep?

From this thread this is definately something to have in when we get our pup!

Offline Sue E

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »
We got a medium in the PAH version, in black.  So you can't actually see it on Ozzy but it has some furry pieces that go under his legs for comfort.  He doesn't like having it put on, but is usually coaxed into wearing it cos he knows it means a walk.  My OH was very sceptical when I bought it and said I was just wasting money, but he uses it too when on walking duty so it must be working well  :005:.  Ozzy is 14 months old so this is quite a change for him from a normal lead and collar, but I'm hoping that we can go back to that eventually.  Not willing to risk it yet as we're still rewarding for good heel walking with it. 

We're due to go a COL meetup in a couple of weeks and don't really know what to do about that - should I insist he wears his new harness but put him on a retractable lead - will that confuse the issue do you think? 

Sue

Offline Frugal Mule

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »
frugal mule - how old is sweep?

From this thread this is definately something to have in when we get our pup!

He is nearly six months old. I'm not sure exactly what he weighs now but he's pretty big. Definitely think it would be a good investment, it's the best thing we've bought so far :)

Sue E: (sorry, wouldn't let me do the quotey thing here) I would think it would take a long time of using the harness to establish the habit of walking by your side naturally. I'm fine with this as it's just such a relief to have him walking nicely.

Personally, for the COL meetup I would just use the harness when the lead was neccessary and free running off lead the rest of the time. I think if you use the retractable lead with the harness it would be contradicting everything you want to teach, ie - pulling ahead gets you no where.

Offline Sue E

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 03:25:26 PM »
That's what I thought too - although "free running off lead" should probably read "free running off"  :005:

I think he will be better with other dogs there cos he'll just run around with them and come back when they do (hopefully - that's the idea anyway)    :shades: