Author Topic: Why do people have to spoil things??  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Betty

Why do people have to spoil things??
« on: June 24, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
I have just taken Roxy out for a walk with my 5 and 6 year old boys for the first time.  We had a really good walk together everyone was very well behaved.  As we come home I spot our next door neighbours so stop to say hello.  'You've not meet Roxy yet' I say.  'And so the reply comes....'No but we've heard her'.

Now I know she was serious there was no joke intended.  How can people be so stuffy.  She's a 16 week old puppy who actually doesn't bark very much.  I left her outside whilst I put the boys tea on.  She barked - I left her for a bit longer than I normally would :005: :005: :005:

Why do people have to be such killjoys?

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: Why do people have to spoil things??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »
You probably presented a scene of domestic and family bliss and she is jealous!! :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »

Just ignore them.... as long as you know she doesn't make an unreasonable amount of noise then put their comments down to them being jealous of your cute little bundle of fluff...

Unless you live miles from anyone, you have to accept some level of noise from your neighbours... I wasn't impressed at the sound of some kind of wheeled toy being played with along the adjoining wall between us and our next door neighbours this morning at 6am... but I'm not going to comment about it, because I know kids make noise...  ::)  As do dogs...  :shades:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »
What a shame your neighbour is like that.  ::)  The first few walks with puppies should be extra special & i know i would have found her attitude quite hurtful too.  ::)  Fancy not having the good grace to say hello to Roxy!  >:(

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:18:39 PM »
Grrr, some people can really put the dampners on things can't they. Try not to let it get to you, she's the one with the problem, not you. As the others have said - probably just jealous of what you have.  :luv:

I wish people would think before they speak! My Mum has problems when she's out and about with her dogs (Papillons) as they're small. The amount or "oh look Rover, here comes breakfast" comments are just ridiculous!!  >:D The last one was someone with a beautiful but totally out of control husky that he could hardly keep hold of and he had the cheek to take the **** out of Mum's totally in control dogs who were totally minding their own business.  >:D

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
I bet the "oh look Rover breakfast" came from a man with some status dog pulling on a lead. Bonnie Boo isn't a barker as such but she has got into the habit of running outside late evening when the fox is at the back of the shed. Nobody has said anything because you cant be quite all the time. On these warm summer nights when you need the door open to breath sometimes you cant hear yourself think with the noise of mowers,hedge trimmers,strimmers and the like but you just have to live and let live. Some people find that difficult
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
Grrrrr some neighbours are just  >:D I would have felt just like you, have had similar in the past too....seems my neighbour was happy when my dogs barked and disturbed someone trying to break into her garage though  >:(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
I probably would have done things slightly differently and invited your neighbours around soon after you got your pup to meet her...that's what we did, our neighbours fell in love with him and that meant that any 'gardening' was immediately forgiven  ;) (we have shared access to all our gardens and a pup that was practically mute so barking wasn't a problem!)

I know that this is an 'in hindsight' reply but perhaps you could introduce her to any other neighbours that haven't met her and explain she's a baby and hasn't learnt bark manners yet?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »
I probably would have done things slightly differently and invited your neighbours around soon after you got your pup to meet her...that's what we did, our neighbours fell in love with him and that meant that any 'gardening' was immediately forgiven  ;) (we have shared access to all our gardens and a pup that was practically mute so barking wasn't a problem!)

I know that this is an 'in hindsight' reply but perhaps you could introduce her to any other neighbours that haven't met her and explain she's a baby and hasn't learnt bark manners yet?

My neighbours did this to us with their baby. I dont think they could work out why I didnt immediately start coo-ing over it. I just muttered "lovely" and continued on my way. Ive always got on great with them but Im really not a baby person.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »

My neighbours did this to us with their baby. I dont think they could work out why I didnt immediately start coo-ing over it. I just muttered "lovely" and continued on my way. Ive always got on great with them but Im really not a baby person.

wow, I'm not a baby person either but I wouldn't have been so off about it  :shades:  Still it would have explained to you why there was more noise coming from next door which is the point of my post  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 09:52:52 PM »

wow, I'm not a baby person either but I wouldn't have been so off about it  :shades:  Still it would have explained to you why there was more noise coming from next door which is the point of my post  ;)

Didnt help that she always seems to catch me as im in a mad rush to the car and there was no point (or time for) faking. Besides which the neighbour on the other side who did coo  now gets roped into regular emergancy baby sitting dutys.  :005:

Offline Betty

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »

Roxy has been introduced to all the other neighbours (who loved her).  These particular ones have been on holiday.  They have lived in their house for over 40 years and I get the impression they think they own the street and you should run things past them first ;)  Maybe they were just put out they weren't first or maybe  'concerned' for their cat that uses our garden as a litter tray

We live in a semi and our attached neighbours say they don't hear her, which is most important.  Still I might let her bark again in the morning :005: :005: :005:

Offline itchy

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 08:10:26 AM »
Aw, that was horrible.  Both my neighbours have been great!  Admittedly, the house that is the other half of the semi have a dog, but when I asked if they had heard Tilly bark they said they hadn't and it didn't matter anyway.  While the other side is quite smitten too!

It would never have occurred to me to 'introduce' Tilly to my neighbours, especially as I didn't expect the neighbours without pets to be particularly interested.  I guess I am lucky that I live on a street with lots of dog owners. 

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 09:21:38 AM »
Aww, there's no need is there ::)

Our neighbours have been fantastic, we also live in a semi detached and our attached neighbours said they have heard him probably once or twice and it was around tea time ph34r but they arent bothered in the slightest. He used to be sooooooo noisy when you were getting his tea ready ::). They have dogs but one is a guide dog and the other is a retired guide dog so they dont bark or make any noise at all, unlike ours :005:.
Our other neighbours love them both and they have a grandchild called Alfie so they call him and our Alf the terrible two :shades:, they say they have never heard a peep out of him but i dont belive them as he is very noisy sometimes.

Just leave them to it, so what if she barks :005:
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »
I am so lucky with my neighbours on side is elderly, nearly deaf and adore my dogs and the other is a young couple who cant have dogs because of their working hours but love them so are always really understanding.

I do as helen says and always introduce them to the dogs, even fosters so they are very forgiving when they are settling in.

I have also whenever I have brought a dog in taken them both round a box of chocs on the first day when i introduce them to the dog and explained there may be some noise and say sorry in advance. We had a foster with SA recently and they were both fab about it as they knew we were working on it and that the dog was a foster so it wasnt going to last forever. I just find it helps so much if they are expecting noise and know why.

I do think its a bit of a rubbish thing for your neighbours to say but some people just arent dog people  :-\