Author Topic: Advice Please  (Read 974 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Advice Please
« on: February 13, 2005, 11:30:06 AM »
Hi everyone

As you all know Finley has been under the weather for the last week and has hardly eaten anything.  Yesterday he started eating again and was quite hungry, he motions were back to normal, I have been giving him chicken, rice and small amounts of kibble.  Today again he was hungry so gave  him, chicken, rice and medium amounts of his kibble.  His motions this morning were OK, however he has been to poo several times this morning and it's getting runnier, lighter in colour and slightly mucus. so I am confused.  

I would like some advice, I re-introduced his fit and fertile yesterday sensitive formula (I put it into a teaspoon of bio-youghurt).  Do you think this is upsetting him??? has anyone had experience of fit and fertile.

He also is overdue being wormed - can this have any effects on this motions.

Or could it be just the case that he eating too much?

Wendy and Finley

Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 05:22:01 PM »
Wendy I'm confused 1st you said he wouldn't eat now you saying he's eating too much  :blink:  :lol:
I would stop using the F&F completely until he is back to normal  ;)  Wait a couple of days until you are sure his motions are normal and then worm him. I would use Drontal to worm him though and not Panacur  ;)
What kibble are you feeding him??? Have you changed it recently. I would use one and stick to it, if he isn't on Burns I would put him on Burns Canine Extra if you want to body him up a bit.  

Offline wendy

• Site Member
Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 06:27:25 PM »
Hi Gilly

Yes Finley would not eat for 5 days and now he has started eating - and eating more than he was before so I was worried that I or he may be now overloading  his system.  We use a natural wormer that you give each month we found that panacur made him ill.  He is currently on Arden Grange (which he has been on for some months now) which he does seem to love when he is eating normally.  I would agree it is probably best to stop the Fit and Fertile until everything is back to normal.  And then re-introduce it, if the motions go very soft again I know is the F & F

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Advice Please
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 06:43:35 PM »
If I remember correctly light or clay coloured stools and mucous are a sign of a digestive problem. Maybe a trip to the vets is required.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Advice Please
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 07:16:16 PM »
You mention on another thread about his ears, maybe this could be a sign that he's not feeling 100%?
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline wendy

• Site Member
Advice Please
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 07:56:56 AM »
Hi Kim

You may be right - my husband cleaned Fin's ears out last night there was a lot of muck that came out of his left ear.  I have ordered thornit ear powder so hopefully it will improve the itching.  Finley is eating really well now (Arden Grange, some rice and some cooked chicken) and waiting enthusiastically for me to prepare it, so I am convinced that he was not just being fussy last week.  I am in the process of increasing his kibble, and reducing the rice and chicken.  However his stools are still on the soft side so I will keep an eye on it for a week.  I do not think he has an intolerance to his usual kibble as he has been on the same diet for a couple of months now and his poo's have been normal - I think it is probably the fact that he has been out of sorts for a few days - I'll  keep you posted.  

Wendy and Fnley
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline PennyB

Advice Please
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 08:26:18 AM »
Wendy I'm confused 1st you said he wouldn't eat now you saying he's eating too much  :blink:  :lol:
I would stop using the F&F completely until he is back to normal  ;)  Wait a couple of days until you are sure his motions are normal and then worm him. I would use Drontal to worm him though and not Panacur  ;)
What kibble are you feeding him??? Have you changed it recently. I would use one and stick to it, if he isn't on Burns I would put him on Burns Canine Extra if you want to body him up a bit.
The canine extra has bodied Wilf up in quite a short time (after about 10 kg of the stuff) so will probably change him back to the minibites once I've finished the new 15 kg bag I've just bought (as I don't want him to get fat!).

Re the Arden grange do they do a similar thing to Burns where you can feed another type of food to help with bulking them up. Might be worth contacting their customer service for advice.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline wendy

• Site Member
Advice Please
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 08:49:30 AM »
Hi Penny

Fin has been on the Canine extra since we had him, however it is quite a bland food, I was adding all sorts to encourage him to eat it.  We changed to Arden Grange and he loved it on it's own - I give him a mixture of the Arden Grange Graduate and the puppy one (as the puppy one is higher in protein and fat).  I think I will contact them to see if they do a food that is good for helping bulking them up - thanks

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net