Author Topic: How's the toilet training going?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
How's the toilet training going?
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »
Hi

Was just thinking about Toby and how it's all just starting to click into place with his toilet training.  He's almost 18 weeks old now and for a week he has been taking himself outside to do his wees (he's always gone straight outside for his poops).  He still has the odd accident if he's excited or tired.  Just wondered how all the other puppies were doing.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline ebony girl

Re: How's the toilet training going?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:37:35 PM »
gypsy is now 16 weeks and although i dont want to brag (yeah right, not much!!!) - we bought her home at 8 weeks, have had a couple of wees in the house, a few wees and poos on a pad in the crate in the first couple of weeks......but apart from that she's fully house trained and we havent had an "accident for weeks :banana:

i may at this point add that i am at home most of the day and the french doors to the garden are usually open so its been particularly easy..... ;).....my ebony was very easy too x

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
Wow, you've all done well.  My back door is open all day but it's still taken Toby quite a while to take himself out.  Don't know whether he was confused or just lazy but we're getting there. :blink:

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
id still say that at 18 weeks he's doing marvellously well.......it'll just click into place and before you realise it you wont have had an accident for weeks  ;)

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:52:23 PM »
Thanks - I'm really looking forward to that  :lol2:

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
Not great!!
We've not had any poops in the house for a week and considering she had colitis I'm quite pleased :D but mollys still a peeing machine. She's so quick at it too, sometimes i only know she's done it cause I've stepped in it.
She is only 9 weeks though  :luv:

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:57 PM »
At 9 weeks, I was resigned to thinking that Toby would NEVER be house trained and would permanently wee in the house.  He was a wee machine as well, as quick as lightning.  Good luck with your little one and hope she is over her colitis now.

Offline poppy1407

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:26:34 PM »
its a boy thing- they are much slower!!!!

Finn is now 20 weeks and the penny never dropped till age 16 weeks (he would go out for the toilet- however if left on his own for an hour or so in his crate he would wee) he is now dry all of the time- thank dog for that!!!

My mums dog however is a bitch and she was fully house trained by about 10/11 weeks and even before that only did a couple of wees in the house!

Girls are defo clever from my experiance xxxxx  :lol2:

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »
My other two dog puppies were fully house trained by about 9-10 weeks but I did wonder if girlies were quicker to grasp it anyway.

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:21:52 AM »
Toby came home at 8 weeks, only once on the 1st day did he poop in the house, 3 minutes after we got in, so our fault, never done it again, by 10 weeks he was completely toilet trained and can go hours without needing a wee and only now does 3 poos a day, he was very easy, but Ive found boys to be quicker than girls as has my sister who had 4 cockers (now only 3) but it was the girls who took longer to get it.  I am at home all day with the door open, so maybe thats helped and taking him out every 30 minutes obviously drilled it into his head  ph34r

With all the other problems we have with him, toileting is the one thing I can say he is an absolute star with  :luv:

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:23:04 AM »
its a boy thing- they are much slower!!!!

Finn is now 20 weeks and the penny never dropped till age 16 weeks (he would go out for the toilet- however if left on his own for an hour or so in his crate he would wee) he is now dry all of the time- thank dog for that!!!

My mums dog however is a bitch and she was fully house trained by about 10/11 weeks and even before that only did a couple of wees in the house!

Girls are defo clever from my experiance xxxxx  :lol2:

Could you please tell my lottie this she took forever and still having an odd mishap at 18months   >:( she is a second girl though and is defiantly top dog so appeared to like scenting where ever beau had slept  :shades: and on top of that our lovely neighbours boy came for holidays and he's 8years  and wee'd over them both ! Enough  :police: I had to get a new front room carpet .

Don't you just love em  :luv:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
I think every puppy is different, some are easy, some take a little longer and it does depend on how vigilent you are.  Misha took a few weeks to get the idea, that said if she did have an accident it was in the kitchen and she never once peed anywhere else in the house.   She also had a protest pee when Lexi arrived  :lol2:  Roly arrived housetrained at 9 weeks thanks to his breeder and has only ever had two accidents in the house that I can recall (in 3years).  Don't  think that it makes any difference whether they are girls or boys and just like people some pups will learn things quicker than others  ;)
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Mandymoo66

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »
We have bee very lucky with Marvin. He came home at 11 weeks and have had dry nights every night (apart from 1) and is now 16 weeks. he is very good during the day, and we rarely have an accident when he is left alone - just need him to get the gist of the dog flap now. >:(

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »
I'd say Penny's doing okay. She's almost 12 weeks and we haven't had a poo in the house for a while. She's only been with us for a couple of weeks but she's going through the night providing we get the timing right ie I get up around 6am. Not sure how much of it's her and how much is the timing! But she's definitely getting the idea and has her favourite places to go. The most problematic time is the evening when we're in the sitting room and she doesn't yet know where she's meant to go to get out. mea culpa

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »
Freya is 18 weeks and apart from the odd couple of wees in the house (where I wasnt quick enough) in the 1st week she has been A* since and no accidents indoors.

At night she will jump up at my bed making a low "grr" sound to ask for the loo but this is quite rare...

I think its helped with all the nice weather we've had down South as like others my patio door is open all day long at the moment!!
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)