Author Topic: How's the toilet training going?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: How's the toilet training going?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »
Toby does protest wees as well but fortunately outside at the moment anyway.  If I go out in the front garden he sits by the gate and there is always a wee there when I come back in (even if I've only been outside for a few seconds).  In the evening we have to watch him very carefully in case he wees in the sitting room (which he hasn't done yet) and I take him outside about once an hour.  He's just about going to command now - I say "toilet" a few times and he knows this means go wees.  At night time he is brilliant and has been for weeks.  We put him to bed between 11 and 12 and get up at 7.30 and his bed is bone dry.  I'm going out a bit later today so Toby will be in his crate for about 3 hours max.  It will be interesting to see if he protest wees his bed while I'm out as he's not used to being left alone (something else I need to work on, as well as the dog flap LOL).

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »
Gosh everyones pups seem brilliant to me, Harvey was 7 months old before it really clicked and I had persevered with him from the age ot 10 weeks, at times I did despair but they all seem to catch on in the end.

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
Poppy is doing really well too.  :luv: No poo's in the house at all and takes herself out to do wee's (apart from the very odd mishap if she gets excited) :005:

I think it helps, though,  that the weather is nice and dry and we can keep the back door open ;)
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
I think the dry weather and the open back door make a huge difference. We've been really lucky with this spell. I really wonder how on earth I managed a puppy in a 3rd floor flat with two small children! Mind you, that wee rascal used to wee on beds if she was caught short. Penny hasn't even seen a bed yet  ;)

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline sandie72

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 03:51:18 PM »
Kayla is 17 weeks old and we have had no accidents in the house for a good few weeks. ;)   She goes to bed about 10.30 and is up 6.30ish.
We did have an exhausting start as I decided to go down the line of getting up during the night with her... but I do feel with her it has paid off. I do leave her 1 half day a week for around 3 hours and she does manage to stay dry in this time which I am very pleased with.  :D  :D 

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »
Got back after leaving Toby for 2 1/2 hours and he was bone dry.  I thought he might protest wee.  Did have a problem with possible separation anxiety as he cried when I left him.  When I got back I looked through the window and he was lying still in his crate but as soon as I opened the door he cried and made the loudest noises I've ever heard, in fact he was going beserk and had been sick.  But that's a subject for another thread.  Everyone seems to be doing great with the puppy training.

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »
Pebbles, 13 weeks, is usually dry at night in her crate from 10pm - 6.30am and if I leave her (max 2 hours) in her crate during the day.  Have to say though need to very vigilant during the day.  If I take her out at least once an hour no problem but have had the odd accident if I've forgotten.  I must say I was very tempted to scold her yesterday as she had been out with me in the garden for at least half an hour , then came in and weed on the carpet.  I was not impressed.  She is always keen for her treat when she has done it in the right place but doesn't seem at all bothered that she doesn't get one if she does it in the house.  Very annoying.

Mind you I take her to work with me 3 days a week where there is also a garden and so maybe she is a little confused about the two different places.

Roll on being dry and clean please.  My nerves won't stand it.
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 09:13:15 AM »
Reading all these replies has made me feel a lot happier about Clover as I can see that all puppies are different in their learning and habits. Clover, now almost 11 weeks old, has only poo'd in her sleeping crate once, and on the floor indoors maybe twice, both in the first week of being here. She has wee'd in her crate on two occasions (in the first week) and on the carpet on quite a lot of occasions,  :005: usually when she sees the cats at close quarters or when I have been distracted with a friend being here or when cooking, etc. All in all I think she does really well for her age. I take her out about 11.30 at night for last chance wees or poos and then get up briefly at 5.30 to let her out again, then back to bed till 6.45. Today I left her till 6 before taking her out and she was clean and dry, and I put her back till 7 and again, clean and dry, so very good overnight in all, in the crate.

I do let her outside very frequently during the day - am tempted to leave the french door open so she can come and go at will, but then how will she ever learn, on wet days when the door is closed, to ask to go out?! With the door shut all the time, she is already beginning to run to the door and do a little whine but I have to be very on the ball - sometimes she will do that just for fun, it seems, too, and not 'go' when I let her out!  I will, however, be really glad when she is fully housetrained - it has to be the most tiring aspect, always watching and worrying whether she is ready for the next wee or poo!  :lol:  It's a comfort to know that they all get there eventually!!!   ;)  
To know them is to love them.....

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »

I do let her outside very frequently during the day - am tempted to leave the french door open so she can come and go at will, but then how will she ever learn  

So true, my back door is constantly open but if it was closed I don't think Toby would whine to go out, he's just do it in the kitchen.  Think I need to get him using his dog flap now, he is over 18 weeks and weighs 20lbs so I think he ready to use it physically.

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
it's really helpful to read how different every pup is.  I've only had mine for 3 days. She is crated at night in my room and I get up 3 times to take her out. Tiring but so far no accidents in crate.  Last night after I let her out she cried immediately I put her back in her crate, so I let her out again and she needed to go so I was glad, she must be a quick learner though, immediately we went back she cried again.  I waited until she was quiet then took her out again, this time she was just wanting attention so without fussing put her straight back and she cried a few times and then settled without accidents.    Had a couple of accidents during day though in the house when I wasn't paying enough attention. Seems all the advice I've been reading on this site is paying off. :blink:   No doubt it'll be a different story tomorrow.  :005:
Misty 3.6.2011 - 1.11.2016

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »
We've had a couple of setbacks today. It was wet weather for the first time in ages and Herself took one look outside and weed on the floor! Shortly afterwards an indoor poo followed. *sigh* I guess it's two steps forward and one step back  ;)

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:42 PM »
We've had a couple of setbacks today. It was wet weather for the first time in ages and Herself took one look outside and weed on the floor! Shortly afterwards an indoor poo followed. *sigh* I guess it's two steps forward and one step back  ;)

Yup, Toby hates going out in heavy rain as well.  The other night we had torrential rain just as I was putting him to bed at about 11.30.  He refused to go out and just sat on the step watching the rain drops hitting the puddles, quite mesmerised by it all.  Had no choice but to put him to bed and wait for his cry to go out in the middle of the night, which fortunately didn't happen.   :lol: :lol:

Offline mkidd

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
We picked Maisy up on Sunday and she doing well so far. Had 3 or 4 wees in the house so far...she is so quick to squat you have to watch her like a hawk! She is getting used to a certain place to toilet outside but she just needs to pick up that inside isn't for weeing! :D

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »
I have had Diesel for 4 weeks ( he is 15 weeks now - was 11 weeks when i got him) He has actually been great at doing the toilet outside - Once he has squated and i have managed to get him to run outside before any accidents happened. I cant believe how easy he has been to toilet train :) Very proud of him
Only thing now is trying to get him to do a pee or a poo outside the garden :( i.e on walks
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »
@Johhnydog: Commiserations!  I can sympathise.... :'( We seem to be not doing so well here with Clover either, the past couple of days - fine in the sleeping crate all night, but in her puppy play pen for up to half an hour she wees a couple of times, or when she sees our cats indoors she wees - twice within 5-10 minutes just now - once on the carpet and once on a puppy pad I keep by the door. (Does anyone know how to train puppies not to pee when they see a cat belonging to their own household???!!! I think I'd better start a new thread for that!)   :huh:
To know them is to love them.....