Author Topic: New to Dogs! Gettings my First cocker/dog tomorrow eeek!  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Frankie1236

New to Dogs! Gettings my First cocker/dog tomorrow eeek!
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:52:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've never owned a pooch before, completly new, so I have no idea what to expect really as the only dogs I've encountered are family and friends dogs, I researched long and hard for months and months on different breeds, their temprements and how they would fit into our lifestyle,

came to the conclusion of a cocker spaniel, just for their temprement, energy levels and sweet nature, they sound such a lovely breed and ticked all the boxes for us, especially for my other half who said he would refuse to walk a little fluffy white dog haha. We are a young couple, who have just bought our first home together at the tender age of 21 :) we have no kids, no plans for kids anytime soon, I have a lot of time of my hands for a pup so im excited to get it trained up and seeing it grow :) 

we decided on a gorgeous female cocker spaniel, shes a show type,  both mum and dad are KC reg, mum had a litter of 8 pups, was amazing seeing them all when I visited them jumping all over my feet hah!
We pick her up tomorrow, puppy has no name yet though, any thoughts?
shes a black cocker with a strange enough white bluey patch on her tummy, apparently breeder said its like a blue roan patch of freckles on her tum haha very cute, she has a little sad sleepy face will try to attach a picture at the bottom,

so far we have her bed, which she will definatly drown in as its huge :) food, a chewy puppy bone, sqeaky toy (which im contemplating taking the squeak out of haha) some little hide boney things,
Am I missing anything important? I've bought some shampoo too, when can I give her a bath? because the breeder had cats, and im deathly allergic haha she's 7 week and a few days, quite young but the breeder assured us, she would not let them go if she wasn't confident at eating on their own etc

I'm very excited, and have not slept for days haha :) looking foreward to our new family member

thanks
Kat
x

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
Re: New to Dogs! Gettings my First cocker/dog tomorrow eeek!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »
Welcome to col. I am Maria I have 2 show type cockers Dennis blue roan and Douglas liver roan both are 2 years old.
You will find lots of info and advice on here , sometimes it can be a real life saver to have people who understand to talk to. Having a puppy is exciting and rewarding but can also be hard work  :D

I'm sorry I have no idea on name for your little one , I struggled enough naming my own lol !! But would like today she looks gorgeous  :luv:

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
Awww gorgeous pupster  :luv: :luv:
I'm Danni and I have Freya who is a two and a bit year old working type. She was also my first dog and has been beyond perfect  :luv: :luv: :luv:
I won't be wanting another breed now i've got a taste for cockers, they are amazing dogs  :lol:
Good luck with your little one, you're obviouslly well prepared, look forward to some more pictures when you bring your bundle of fluff home  :luv:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by a cocker. I'm owned by a 6 month old black show-type, Penny Black.

I would recommend a cage as an essential. Puppy will feel safe in it and it's a good place to put the pup when you have to leave it for short periods. It also helps with house-training. There are lots of good threads on here which will help you.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
Hello and Welcome,

We have a golden 11 month old working strain cocker and we live in the midlands.

Our pup is called Willow and the other names I liked before we had her were Ruby, bramble and bracken. it was hard to find a name that we both liked lol

Cant wait to see some more pics of your new furry baby.  :005: :005:

Beware this forum is addictive lol

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
Congrats on your new addition :D

Lots of kitchen roll and pet friendly disinfectant! A collar and lead is a good idea too, then pup can get used to wearing them before she's allowed out :blink:

She's beautiful :luv: I like the names Maaya, Luna and Rosie (3 of many, anyway!) They were names I had lined up if I'd decided on a bitch pup five years ago. I went for a male in the end - my perfect little Ozzy :luv:

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »
Hi & welcome to COL
Im Liz and Im owned by 2 show cockers, Diesel 4 year old blue roan and Olli 3 year old blue roan & tan.
Congratulations on your breed choice of course im biased, which will certainly keep you on your toes  :005: :005:

You will need plenty of tissues and floor cleaner  :005: :005:

Puppy looks gorgeous   :luv: :luv: :luv:

I like the names Phoenix and Lotti

Looking forward to seeing more pics and finding out her name  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Frankie1236

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:56:58 PM »
thank you :)
She is beautiful, love her to bits already :D
here's a few more piccys of some of the litter and another one of her

they were taken on my iphone, I will get some better ones tomorrow with the camera,

I like the names, Flo, Gertie, Winifred , Sky, Star, and Scout, my other half hates them all haha we can not decide! its hell  :005:

kat
x

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by a cocker. I'm owned by a 6 month old black show-type, Penny Black.

I would recommend a cage as an essential. Puppy will feel safe in it and it's a good place to put the pup when you have to leave it for short periods. It also helps with house-training. There are lots of good threads on here which will help you.

Defininately agree on a crate - keeps the pupster safe and secure and makes sure you know where she is too if you're trying to do things around the house  ;)

Welcome to COL Kat  :blink:   I'm Sandra from Glasgow and am owned by Coda who is a 18 month old orange roan girlie who has completely changed our lives.

You'll find the forum to be very informative and friendly and a great source of support, especially through the early weeks when it can all be a bit overwhelming at times.

What a beautiful girlie  :luv: :luv:  What about Ebony?

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »
Hi Kat I'm Dianne and I'am owned by 2 blue roan girls called Phoebe and Mia, previously I was owned by 2 gorgeous light blue roans called Poppy and Pebbles  :luv: :luv: welcome to COL. x x x

What about the name shadow? or even Megan?? good luck with choosing a name for your little fur baby.x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »
Gorgeous little pup  :luv:

I'm Rosie and I have 2 show type boys - Charlie (black & white) who will be 2 next month and Dexter (blue roan) who is 5 months old.

Welcome to COL, you'll find lots of friendly and helpful advice on here. Good luck with your little one, look forward to seeing more pics as she grows.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
Welcome to the madhouse Kat! You are in for the time of your life. Enjoy the pup stage with all it's ups and downs - it is over too soon. You will find so much help and encouragement here from everyone. I think your little girly is beautiful and Scout is a beautiful name. Hmm actually she us sooo beautiful so how about Belle or Bella? Sleep tight tonight - tomorrow probably can't come quickly enough for you.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
welcome to COL

what a gorgeous pupster  :luv:

Hope you find her a name real soon - whats her pedigree name ??? may give you some ideas for a name (My Fern's pedigree name is 'Cotton Jolly' and so OH thought of Fearn Cotton )

Items you haven'r mentioned are - bowl for food, collar and lead (need to get her used to this in the house / garden even before her jags) brush ( need to start brushing her daily to get used to it too - some people also clean their teeth with toothbrushes

PLEASE handle her daily, as in check her eyes, ears, teeth, paws, tail and body - this really does help if they are ill later on and the vet needs to check them over  ;)

Hope that helps BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY enjoy her and post more pics  :luv:

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 08:55:22 PM »

I like the names, Flo, Gertie, Winifred , Sky, Star, and Scout, my other half hates them all haha we can not decide! its hell  :005:

She is soooo gorgeous  :luv:
Names - Scout would remind me of the annoying girl on Waterloo Road  ph34r
Sky and Star, lovely names but not very original  :dunno:
LOVE Gertie or Winifred/Winnie Probably Winifred given the choice

Lots of good posts on here if you do a search for puppy stuff, and I would highly recommend Simple Solution  ;)

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »
Hi and Welcome - Poopie looks soooooooooooo cute- I bet you dont sleep tonight for excitement, I got my first dog 4 years ago and now have two (thats the problem with cockers one is just never enough lol)  Can wait to hear all about your adventures together btw I love the name gertie and had my kooki not already suited her name thats what I would have chosen for her.
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce