Author Topic: Do you allow your cocker upstairs?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Do you allow your cocker upstairs?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
My dogs aren't allowed upstairs full stop!  At least this way they know the house rules, if I go upstairs, they sit at the bottom waiting for me to come back down - and that's without a baby gate at the bottom.

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
My dog is allowed everywhere in the house and when we get Kol (cole) he will be allowed the same privilege but will be getting carried up and down until he learns to do it himself

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
I've had a stairgate for Alfie from when he was a  young pup. However now that he is 2 and not bothered about picking up anything and everything I take the stairgate off and he loves padding up and down the stairs. However if my son has been on call during the night I keep it on otherwise Alfie cries outside his door or 'knocks' on it with his paws :005:! He accepted that it was mainly  a 'no go' area for him when he was young and now the stairgate is handy for allowing/not allowing him access as required.

Offline black taz

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
becareful which stairgate you get.  We had one that you had to press down to open, Taz worked that our in about 5 seconds flat.  Then i put an old collar around the gate and the bannister so even if he pressed the gate down it wouldnt open - i left him for 20 minutes and when i got back he had worked out that the collar was stopping the gate opening and chewed through it!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
Our stairgate as I said is on the living room door, so he cant get into the hallway or downstairs loo or near the front door.
It automatically closes behind you when you let go. At first I didnt like that feature but its really good as Ive got used to it.
Riley still wont come down stairs on his own.
I occasionally take him up to wake up my son in his pit  :005:

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »
At the moment Max has been confined to the kitchen, dining, family room and utility which is where we spend most of the time. Then like you the children can keep their toys on the floor in their rooms without us worrying about them being eaten!

We are moving soon and I want Max to have access to all of the downstairs but not upstairs. I would prefer not to use a gate but think it will make life easier and quicker than training him not to come up. Those with gates are they at the bottom or top or the stairs??

Mines actually on the lounge door, so he can't get access to the hallway either. I worry about him escaping through the front door if one of the kids is lapse. We have another door from the kitchen to the hallway, but we rarely use that one as the kitchen actually has 4 routes in and out  ph34r

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »
Our stairgate as I said is on the living room door, so he cant get into the hallway or downstairs loo or near the front door.
It automatically closes behind you when you let go. At first I didnt like that feature but its really good as Ive got used to it.

SNAP! :005: Jayne, I am beginning to worry about the number of similarities you and I have   ;)

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
We dont allow Rolo upstairs. We have got a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs. I think it is important to have your own space. When we put rolo in his crate downstairs at night, we go up and that is our time then - God knows we need it at the moment!
I think this will change when he gets older is well behaved but for now it is the best option. Definately invest in a stair gate - we got ours off of ebay!

Caz :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »

SNAP! :005: Jayne, I am beginning to worry about the number of similarities you and I have   ;)

Hahaha its scary isnt it Jacqui ;)
My case of salmon mousse came the other day by the way, Thats Riley set up for a long time. Good dates up to 2014 on them, somehow dont think they will see 2013 never mind 2014 ;)

Offline Dexterdog

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »
No, we don't allow Dexter upstairs either. He still runs up there occasionally but he knows he's being naughty and one cross word and he flies back down again  :005: I grew up with a retriever cross and she never came upstairs either so I guess it's what you are used to and how your home life works. Stair gate is a good idea but then when you remove he might start going up there anyway so maybe try to train without the gate first?  :dunno:

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
we let Jethro upstairs, to be honest he keeps me company during day when im home alone (im mad & talk to the dog all day). Hes only allowed up with supervision & he tends to listen to that. We have 2 cats that happily put him in his place when he's in there space. (had to laugh other day that Tom the cat had jethro sat at side of him & didnt hiss till he noticed i was there, Proves hes putting the hard done to cat on  :005: ).

We have a stair gate on the living room door, i move it around as needed. However the little rascal has found he can jump it (worrys me sick with his joints, but how can you stop them all the time).
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 08:55:38 PM »
I think it's a great idea that the kids have their own space to play with their toys, without the risk of a puppy swallowing something harmful.  A baby gate is an excellent way of keeping Oreo safely where you want her.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »
My dogs are actually allowed upstairs but not into the bedroom. I have a stairgate across the passage to the downstairs bedrooms. I think they soon get to know where they are allowed to go if you persevere.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Evadee

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »
Nope not allowed.  But we don't have a through hallway with staircase, our stairs are at the front of the house and you have to go through the lounge to get to them IYSWIM, this does make it easier   ;)

They only go upstairs for a bath, and they know it  :005:

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 10:30:30 PM »
My two are allowed upstairs, they have acess to the full house.  When they were puppies I did have a stairgate for their safety only  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx