Cocker Specific Discussion > Health

worming

<< < (2/3) > >>

Michele:
Hopefully a prevention rather than a cure, mine all have a garlic capsule in their food once a day. I'm inclined to think it works as I don't have and never really have had a flea problem ;)                    

shaendix:
Not sure if it's common practice in the UK but - will vets do a check on a stool sample to see if the pup does actually have worms?  I sometimes wonder if we checked this we might find that we are overtreating our dogs with chemicals??
I guess it would be an additional cost and it's easier just to dose them but food for thought?  :)                    

angelad:
I got some Pancur 'tablets' from the vet for Cooper. The smelt really good and Cooper thought they were a treat and gobbled them down! ;D I was really impressed.                    

Mike:

--- Quote ---will vets do a check on a stool sample to see if the pup does actually have worms?
--- End quote ---

My vet did, as Daisy had a slight cough plus diarrohea with spots of blood and mucus, and he wanted to eliminate the possibility of lung worm. Panacur was the complimentary worm treatment. All came back negeative, pleased to say (was 4 months ago now)                    

Jane S:

--- Quote from: shaendix on September 24, 2002, 06:43:57 AM ---Not sure if it's common practice in the UK but - will vets do a check on a stool sample to see if the pup does actually have worms?  I sometimes wonder if we checked this we might find that we are overtreating our dogs with chemicals??

--- End quote ---

Yes vets will do stool samples & also titre tests to check levels of antibodies (prior to booster vaccinations) but these checks cost money & vet fees in the UK are quite high, plus most insurance policies wouldn't cover these costs. I think you have a point - if someone brings a pup into the vet with any kind of tummy upset, then it seems they are automatically given worming treatments even if the pup has been reguarly wormed from an early age. I guess they are covering all angles but it does concern me a little too. It also used to be the case that whatever you took your dog to the vet for, you'd come home with some antibiotics "just in case" - now there is growing knowledge that over-use of antibiotics is causing problems (in human medicine as well as veterinary medicine), antibiotics are not handed out quite so freely, thankfully.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version