Author Topic: Toby Bears training - at a crossroads  (Read 2373 times)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Toby Bears training - at a crossroads
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
After todays lesson, that had some highs  :banana:
                                                                  &
                                                                    some lows  :doh:
our trainer is to test Toby on cold game next time we meet.  Despite some serious input & effort on all parts, Toby still is tending to be hard mouthed (when he darn well decides to be  ph34r ) - excitement has seems to have a large part to play & may or may not decrease as he matures but have TBH & say I'm not too sure he'll ever be 100% reliable on game ..this being said, I know of others who have overcome this problem  once the dog goes onto game ....so we will wait & see & certainly not give up.  :police:

If it is so & Toby can't pick up, beating might also be a no no at this present time - luckily there is whole year to practice before the next season but at this time beating doesn't give Toby the reward he loves or needs ..hense the picking up route  :-\

He is such a highly driven little boy, enthusiasm bursting at the seems & really does love working his nose & brain ....... a little dispondant was I, before today's lesson  :016: but needn't of been - thank goodness we found such a fabulous trainer  :angel:  

She wants more directional work on him, steadiness & stop whistle but even if all else fails & at the next lesson he proves to be hard mouthed on
game ...she has a cunning plan & I have a wonderful feeling her idea could be right up Toby Bears street  :luv:

I won't say now so as not to tempt fate but keep your paws crossed for a perfect retrieve & delivery from me laddo at the end of january ........ but watch this space if we don't   :021:  

Lindsey & Toby Bear x
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline maddy74

Re: Toby Bears training - at a crossroads
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
Hey Linds, a bit unfair to keep us in suspense re your trainers idea... come on spill the beans?  :005:

We will watch this space, like you say on a positive note he is very enthusiastic. Whatever happens in the long run Linds you have a truly amazing little dog there in Toby Bear. Not to mention MASSIVELY cute too  :luv: :luv:

xxxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »
If he really doesn't gel with retrieving game he could leave the picking up and be content beating  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »
Hope whatever Toby ends up doing, that you both enjoy it!  If neither picking up or beating are his 'thing', but he loves to use his nose and retrieve (albeit with a 'hard mouth'), he might just love working trials?!  The directional training will do wonders for sendaways and redirection, steadiness fab for stays, and retrieve great for article searches...  He'll be 3/4 trained before you even start!  Whatever you both decide, am sure it'll be the best fun. Good luck - can't wait to see what happens. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Smokey 1

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:11:36 PM »
He may just be getting bored of canvas dummies. My three had all picked a bird and rabbit by the time they are four months old, wings on dummies and rabbit covered tennis balls. If he loves retrieving then on the first shoot beating when you get given a brace to take home stick one in the freezer and defrost the day before the next shoot. After doing his bit and being steady drop a bird behind you and then send him out for a blind as a reward. He will be a different dog once he learns what his nose is for and puts the smell of game into his hunting about, get ready  :D

Smokey
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »
Hey Linds, a bit unfair to keep us in suspense re your trainers idea... come on spill the beans?  :005:

We will watch this space, like you say on a positive note he is very enthusiastic. Whatever happens in the long run Linds you have a truly amazing little dog there in Toby Bear. Not to mention MASSIVELY cute too  :luv: :luv:

xxxx

my lips are sealed Maddy :P     :005:  (you'll love it when you hear though hun  ;) )

If he really doesn't gel with retrieving game he could leave the picking up and be content beating  ;)

on a good day Helen, he can quarter for quite some time & seems well focused & switched on to the job in hand ...with some excellent stops to whistle thrown in - but on not so good days he's so over excited, 'looking without finding' just doesn't hold his focus & he mucks about ...he will bark & jump at me 'as if to ask for a retrieve/something more'? & does as John say, seem bored....hence Tracy trying us down the retrieving route as he loves hunting & finding .....it's just the darn chomping that is the problem ..... paws crossed he has a good day when she tries him on the bunny  :003:   

He will be a different dog once he learns what his nose is for and puts the smell of game into his hunting about, get ready  :D
Smokey

:fear2:  oh lordy ...he's already like an Exocet missile ...any faster & he'll be in Mach 4   ph34r  :005:

I absolutely love it though & so does Toby - none of these hurdles are a 'problem' as such though but  just another challenge for us to work at together  :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!