Author Topic: Gundog training  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Pip C

• Zac
Gundog training
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
Just interested if anyone does gundog training with their cocker?  I am thinking about training Zac so can take him beating. :D
Not sure where to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Offline black taz

Re: Gundog training
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »
I did a bit of training with my lab until some prat decided grab her by the scruff of the next when she went after a dummy - i cannot get her to look at dummy now. So i would say, please get recommendations before paying for any lessons.

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:51:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I will be extremely careful. Its just an idea at the moment, so may not come to anything.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:38:37 AM »
We are first time working cocker owners and wanted a dog to go beating wth us. We have trained herourselves by reading everything on the subject and asking advice from all  people we came across at shoots, game shows etc. Putting all this together and lots of time we have achieved  our goal. But the traning is always on going.  Gemma excelled in her first shooting season just gone, and we know she will be better come october. I must admit, to have a chappie ask you" are you beating next week and bringing your dog" does fill you with pride. Good luck Best thing we have ever took on
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »
Go for it Pip, even if your dog never actually goes to a shoot the training is great for fun for both you and your dog
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
Bracken at 7 months just had his first lesson and I thouroughly enjoyed it and so did Bracken, for the first time he is actually sleeping during the day, I now do lots of retrieving with a dummy and hiding things in thick bushes and he just enjoys every minute retrieving or finding it! Uses their brain takes alot out of Bracken! Go for it! I was thinking agility or Gun dog training I think The latter be more beneficial for Bracken!

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »
Bracken at 7 months just had his first lesson and I thouroughly enjoyed it and so did Bracken, for the first time he is actually sleeping during the day, I now do lots of retrieving with a dummy and hiding things in thick bushes and he just enjoys every minute retrieving or finding it! Uses their brain takes alot out of Bracken! Go for it! I was thinking agility or Gun dog training I think The latter be more beneficial for Bracken!

That sounds great.  Have now booked a 1:1 with a local trainer next week.  He has an MBE for training and has trained some prestigious oeoples dogs around here so he should be good. :D

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »
Thats good, I attend group sessions, Bracken is very focused on what he's doing so 31 dogs did not put him off, even though spaniels, labradors, retrievers were put in seperate groups! Good luck!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
Pearl and I had some lessons last year, illness stopped us before the season but she was brilliant on the shoots we attended over the winter.  Hopeless at retrieves but a great pointer :005:

We start again with a new trainer on Saturday - not sure what he will be like but this is just an assessment, for him as much as us ;)  I'll be taking Pearl after a walk so she's already a little tired and has calmed down a bit!

Good luck with your lesson - lets us know how you get on

Jayne

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »
Our trainer is great, he expects discipline, but in no way advocates cruelty and "bully boy" tactics, and always makes a point of saying this to any newcomers to the gun dog training group.
Our 14 month WCS absolutely adores her training sessions, and we are hoping to work her fully this coming year. My OH wasn't really into it at first, but watching Isla do "her stuff" has been addictive to him and he will even get up after a night shift to take her.
Isla has excellent recall now and her training to the whistle has made it as easy as it could be when we are out and about and she spots a pheasant.
Highly recommended with the right trainer!!!
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »
I also are very keen to take Harry and have a few gundog training lessons. Can anyone recommend a good trainer in the North East, pref near Newcastle

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
I also are very keen to take Harry and have a few gundog training lessons. Can anyone recommend a good trainer in the North East, pref near Newcastle

Have a look on the Gundog Training forum - they have a list of clubs/ training in various regions across the UK.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
The guy I have been to is in Alnwick,  so not too far from you. Google Andy Cullen.  ;)

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »
Will do Pip