Author Topic: Shooting Background vs Trailing Background  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Shooting Background vs Trailing Background
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »
Dad of my pup is tested too, so at least I know the puppy won't be affected. It's a risk/ compromise situation I think. I wasn't willing to go for a line I didn't specifically like just because all tests had been done.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 05:28:24 PM »
I am a bit torn on this issue, as I believe the two (health testing and breeding dogs with correct working attributes and character) should be done together.  One shouldn't preclude the other.

Absolutely - there is no reason why they cannot go hand in hand. Breeding has always been a juggling act where you have to balance all of your different priorities and health should be one of those priorities, the same as character, working ability etc. It's good some successful kennels are doing at least some testing but there's still a long way to go it seems.....
Jane

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
I have given you a link to the Working Cocker forum where there is a link to responsible breeders who do the necessary health tests ;) and lots of good advice.  :D

http://www.workingcockerhealthscreendirectory.com/responsiblebreeders.htm
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »
I am a bit torn on this issue, as I believe the two (health testing and breeding dogs with correct working attributes and character) should be done together.  One shouldn't preclude the other.

Absolutely - there is no reason why they cannot go hand in hand. Breeding has always been a juggling act where you have to balance all of your different priorities and health should be one of those priorities, the same as character, working ability etc. It's good some successful kennels are doing at least some testing but there's still a long way to go it seems.....
What was quite frightening was a person with a dog used regularly at stud who is producing carriers of an inherited condition. Owner of said dog hasn't had him tested and continues to offer him at stud. (not a trialling/shooting breeder btw).  Disaster waiting to happen and very irresponsible IMO.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
Thanks Jeff!  :D That's another area that has caused me confusion! So many breeders that have great lines haven't done health testing. One of the ones I am on the list for the Dad is tested but the Mum isn't however she is 8 years old so he said if there were any problems they would most likely have surfaced by now? She looked very healthy when I went to see her?
I have found there are more breeders that don't do health testing than do! Obviously I want a healthy pup but was beginning to think maybe I was asking for too much?

Out of curiosity,is that not "old" to be having a litter or have i read this wrong  :huh:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Hannahc7

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:43 AM »
Toni, I am not sure is 8 too old? What are the drawbacks of the bitch being that old? It is her last litter.
I have found a few breeders that health test so will talk to them today.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »
If you have the registered name for a dog you are interested in, you can also check on here for cockers screened and tested clear for PRA: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/4739/cockerspanielpraclears.pdf    (there is a similar register which shows carriers - check the kennel club website).  Also, if you type in your chosen sire/ dam's name on here: www.cockerspanieldatabase.info - if they have been put onto the system, you can trace their lineage (as well as progeny), and health tests are usually included.

Offline Hannahc7

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
Thanks Michelle will take a look!  :D

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »
Thanks Jeff!  :D That's another area that has caused me confusion! So many breeders that have great lines haven't done health testing. One of the ones I am on the list for the Dad is tested but the Mum isn't however she is 8 years old so he said if there were any problems they would most likely have surfaced by now? She looked very healthy when I went to see her?
I have found there are more breeders that don't do health testing than do! Obviously I want a healthy pup but was beginning to think maybe I was asking for too much?

Out of curiosity,is that not "old" to be having a litter or have i read this wrong  :huh:

I'd consider it too old but the KC allows litters to be registered as long as the bitch has not reached the age of 8 at the time of whelping. If the bitch is already 8, then any further litters can't be KC registered unless prior permission has been given (only usually given in exceptional circumstances)
Jane

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »
I'd consider it too old but the KC allows litters to be registered as long as the bitch has not reached the age of 8 at the time of whelping. If the bitch is already 8, then any further litters can't be KC registered unless prior permission has been given (only usually given in exceptional circumstances)

[/quote]

Thats interesting, I was always of the assumption that 6yrs was the limit?  Has this now changed to 8, or has it always been 8?  :huh:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
Thats interesting, I was always of the assumption that 6yrs was the limit?  Has this now changed to 8, or has it always been 8?  :huh:

Not sure - it's been 8 years for as long as I can remember :-\ Breed Club Codes of Ethics are a bit stricter - the Cocker Spaniel Breed Council say no bitch should be mated after 7 years old.
Jane

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »

Not sure - it's been 8 years for as long as I can remember :-\ Breed Club Codes of Ethics are a bit stricter - the Cocker Spaniel Breed Council say no bitch should be mated after 7 years old.

Don't know where I got that from then  :huh:  thanks

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »

Breed Club Codes of Ethics are a bit stricter - the Cocker Spaniel Breed Council say no bitch should be mated after 7 years old.

Hannah,i think this is possibly what was floating around in the back of my head (i had 7 in there for some reason  :huh: ),which was why i was curious.

Good luck in your search.  :D
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
presumably health tested them, I'm surprised she doesn't see it as a priority when looking for a working pup :huh:

Yes, they have indeed all been Gonioscopy, FN and PRA tested. :D  Unfortunately it is not so easy to find top working cockers that have been health tested.  I have however found a good trialling breeder who health tests his stud dogs and is putting me in touch with owners of bitches that he believes to be suitable for my requirements and that have done the recommended health testing.  Having said that we had untested working springers for years before the cockers and all lived to a ripe old age with barely a days illness until they were in their teens, so who knows, I merely said health tests were not my main priority, temperament was first and foremost for me, as I want a happy blend of working and home life and I was always lead to believe that the health problems were much fewer and far between in working lines.   :huh:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 06:29:09 AM »
.. I merely said health tests were not my main priority, temperament was first and foremost for me, as I want a happy blend of working and home life and I was always lead to believe that the health problems were much fewer and far between in working lines.   :huh:

Yes because that's what breeders say - it's exactly how show type breeders used to react 20 odd years ago & even now there are still breeders of show type dogs who don't test because they "know their lines" and have never seen any problems. That kind of attitude is thankfully rare now in the show community now but common in the working fraternity. You only have to peruse the health board on this forum to see that working type dogs can and do suffer from hereditary problems & no breeder can afford to be complacent (whichever type of dog they breed).

I hope you find what you're looking for anyway :blink:
Jane