Author Topic: exercise  (Read 3188 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

exercise
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:21 PM »
Hi I have recently started gundog training with Gabby who is almost nine months old and things are going well :dance04:.So far she has been very easy to train and already stops/sits on the whistle even when she is hunting about,comes back to me when I double pip her and is retrieving quite well.I started steadying her to a dummy a few days ago expecting it to take months but even this is going well.She quarters naturally in cover even tho she hasn't been trained,loves water and dives under brambles if she smells birds or rabbit scent.

However she is terrible on a lead (my fault she hardly ever goes on one)and on off lead walks unless I am doing something with her she is starting to range out and seek her own amusement.If I take her out with Cloe and Benson she will spend most of the time chasing around after Benson.

So how should I exercise Gabby.Is it OK to let her run around with the other dogs/and amuse her self when shes not training,I can't imagine having to spend 30 minutes with her pulling on the lead :o.

Can you get to a stage were you can take working dogs on normal walks in the lakedistrict and the like.

Thanks.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: exercise
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
My worker is a year now and is awful on lead (my fault entirely).  But his recall is excellent.  He is allowed to play with my other dogs while out walking, but I recall him regularly, and he's not allowed to range very far (20-30 yards max). I also intersperse walks with training so he stays responsive. He comes on 'normal' hikes with us and is very good (more obedient than my other two)  No reason why a working dog can't enjoy hikes like any other.  Was lovely today to see 10+ cockers all off lead together dashing about in the woods together after a day's gundog training. And then them all racing back to their owners when whistled back  :D
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Toofast

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Hi,
I find it very easy to walk my bunch of workers on the lead, it just starts with the very basic puppy training and respect on the lead.
I can walk 5/6 dogs on loosley held leads, I will not accept any pulling!
Our old male dog used to "lean" on his lead but the use of a proper Halti meant that I could hold his lead between finger and thumb, and contact was very light.

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
It really is down to setting boundaries and sticking to them, I know, because our little girlie pulls like a train for me because I am soft and give her leaway, my OH , won't stand for it and from day one has insisted she "walks nicely" and SHE DOES!!!! He is no tyrant and she loves us both equally, she just knows that I will let her get away with it. Cheeky little cockers........ :005:
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:30 PM »
gemma has always been a puller on the lead so much that if we go where there is alot of people we put the canny collar on.
 Any way a fellow shooter / gun dog owner watched me struggling with her on the lead crossing some ploughing, trying to hold her back and stay upright at the same time. He gave some simple advice, keep the lead tight and short so she can not get infront. Guess what. It is working although slowly. Walking on lead is getting better, she more or less has given up pulling.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jennyandrosy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »
I found the easiest way to train my dogs to the lead was to take them to some normal obedience classes the best way I found was to constantly change direction while walking ie when the dog pulls in front quickly change direction 180 degree turn the dog soon learns that when he pulls his direction will change so keeps him on his toes it also builds the bond between you and the dog as he starts to watch you and keeps his eyes on you for small changes in direction try it it won't happen overnight but it worked for me

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »
I do the change of direction thing too and it does work.  I am doing it off the lead as well as recommended by Pippa Mattinson and it is brilliant because she is watching me all the time and so doesn't go far away.  :D